ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Just bought ES350; question re: aftermarket mats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 10:14 AM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought ES350; question re: aftermarket mats?

JUST got our car and love it. 2013 - has 4K miles on it (prev. owner), red with parchment interior. The carpeted mats in front already show dirt & grime that didn't come clean. I think we want black mats and am wondering if there are a couple of aftermarket brands (specific models, pls. - if possible) that most have been happy with. Doing a search brought me 500 pages with the words "floor mats" - lol. Trying to save some $$ by not ordering the OEM brand - VERY expensive - $180. In fact, was considering just ordering black for the front mats as the rear parchment-colored ones are fine, receiving very little use. Would that look strange? Thank you for your help.
Old 01-25-14, 11:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Are you looking for carpet mats or for all-weather mats? If you are looking for black carpet mats, I think I'd just go with a set of black Lexus mats. At least a few people here with the parchment interior are using black Lexus mats. On the other hand, if you are looking for all-weather mats, I'd suggest ones made by WeatherTech. A set of front and rear WeatherTech mats can be bought for around $100. They fit very well, and they offer good protection of the vehicle's carpet without the, to me, overdone look of the full floor liners. They are available, for the ES, in gray, black, and tan. I have the tan mats, which are somewhat darker than the parchment carpet. The somewhat darker color doesn't show dirt as much as the lighter parchment, and it complements the interior colors of the vehicle quite well.

If it were my vehicle, I don't think I'd like black mats in the front and the parchment in the back. The look of that, to me, would be one that came across as being haphazard and mismatched.
Old 01-25-14, 11:43 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not completely satisfied with the factory mats either. Lloyd's Custom Mats are the best on the market for fit, quality and plush-ness. I have managed to keep the factory mats in pretty good shape, however, with it is time I plan to replace them with Lloyd's.
Old 01-25-14, 11:47 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased Husky all weather mats. They are similar to WeatherTech but a little bit softer and cost less.
Old 01-25-14, 12:23 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I wish that Lexus would design their carpet mats in the way that some other manufacturers do with a rubber insert in the carpet under the area where the driver's heel rests by the accelerator pedal. That is the area of the mats that is most vulnerable to wear. In that area, noticeable wear can start to show up within weeks, and I've seen the carpet in that area wear through completely within as little as a year.

Dirt, including mud, can be cleaned, but, once the carpet is worn, the mats are shot. And it is the inevitability of wear in that area that has led me to buy and use all-weather mats. They allow the carpet to be protected, and, when I'm trading in or selling the vehicle, I can put back the original mats in like-new condition.
Old 01-25-14, 12:52 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

I agree with Coach. I have found that Lloyd mats always fit perfectly, last long, and maintain their appearance. I purchased a set for my '66 Corvette that was licensed by GM. The weathertech mats look like quality but who wants to see their name on the floor every time you get in the car? For the Lexus, I bought clear vinyl that was custom cut for the 350 and fits over the carpet mat. www.carid.com. Had the same ones in my '06 Avalon.
Old 01-25-14, 12:55 PM
Riley3
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2014 ES 350, Matador Red with black interior. I got WeatherTech rubber mats through the dealer. They are made for the ES 350 (says so on the package label). They fit perfectly and are locked in with the same twist fasteners as used on the original carpet mats. I'll likely pull them out for summer use but they work very well with the snow we have now.
Old 01-25-14, 01:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
The weathertech mats look like quality but who wants to see their name on the floor every time you get in the car?.
The WeatherTech liners prominently display the WeatherTech name on those liners. With the WeatherTech all-weather mats, however, their name is only in very small molded letters on the very back edge of the mat, and a view of that edge is actually blocked by the seat. To see their name, you essentially have to get down on your knees and look under the edge of the seat. Having owned several sets of WeatherTech all-weather mats, I didn't even realize that their name was on them until I read that it was in another thread on this board, and, when I read that, I had to go outside and look at the mats in my vehicles to confirm that their name was, in fact, (discretely) there.
Old 01-25-14, 04:05 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid $99 for a new set of front and rear carpeted OEM mats at the Lexus dealership. Over them I put the small clear vinyl mats used for back car floors. These are bought for about $4 at Walmart. The majority of the dirt goes on them and I easily clean them once a week. I just do a quick vacuum on the carpeted mats every week or two. This way they have worn extremely well, and look like new.

I've also had good experience with Lloyd's mats but still put the small clear vinyl ones over them being carefully to put them under where my feet go and not close to the pedals to avoid any unwanted acceleration/pedal issues,

If you live in a very harsh climate or frequent dirty locations, get the Weathertechs.

Last edited by Canesguy; 01-25-14 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 04:37 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the Weathertech floor liners(black), and really like them. They fit very well, and offer coverage not available with other mat systems. Perfect for the wet/muddy PNW weather. My interior is also parchment, and the black liners match well with the other black interior components. The only negative about them, as stated above, is the rather apparent Weathertech logo on both front liners(back ones are blank).
Old 01-27-14, 09:46 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is a link to pics in another floor mat thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...or-mats-2.html
Old 01-27-14, 11:12 PM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

For those that asked, I AM looking only for black carpeted mats ... live in CA. and don't need the other.
Old 01-28-14, 07:36 AM
hebdo27
Driver School Candidate

+1 for Weathertech All Season mats. I live in Canada and right now they are saving my 2013 ES300h carpets through this miserable winter season! They fit like a glove and are catching almost all the snow and subsequent water from the melt off of our boots.
Old 01-28-14, 09:53 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hebdo27
+1 for Weathertech All Season mats. I live in Canada and right now they are saving my 2013 ES300h carpets through this miserable winter season! They fit like a glove and are catching almost all the snow and subsequent water from the melt off of our boots.
I'd go for the truck floor look too if I lived in such a severe climate.
Old 01-28-14, 10:41 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I wish that Lexus would design their carpet mats in the way that some other manufacturers do with a rubber insert in the carpet under the area where the driver's heel rests by the accelerator pedal. That is the area of the mats that is most vulnerable to wear. In that area, noticeable wear can start to show up within weeks, and I've seen the carpet in that area wear through completely within as little as a year.
They used to, sort of. On carpeted mats they'd stitch in an extra 'better' piece of material around the heel. My 2001 ES mats still have it, then the following years they stopped. Even the old Lexii like the LS400 had the extra padding/material on the heel portion.

Originally Posted by hebdo27
I'm surprised. When looking at mats the all season were the equivalent of just a regular univeral mat in my opinion... I don't know how I've gone all this time without the Liners... those truly save the carpet!