ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Just in midst of buying 2013 es350-question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 08:49 PM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just in midst of buying 2013 es350-question

Hello: I'm buying the above from an elderly couple - it has less than 4,000 miles on it! I'm quite excited as we keep our cars for years and years (we still are driving a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee bec. it just won't break down - has had two minor repairs in 17 years and ext. still looks like new!). Anyway, bec. I am soooo practical and would very much like the appearance to stay pristine, I'm most concerned with the center console that is glossy, glossy black. That tells me it will quickly get scratched. In addition, we DO take our 13# pomeranian with us at times and she has nails and it's inevitable that they will make contact with that pretty console going between us once in a while or just balancing herself if she crosses over. Is there a "solution/suggestion" here as to how to protect it and keep it attractive? Is there an aftermarket cover of some sort ... is there a type of clear adhesive "tape" perhaps ... something? Coating? Any suggestions?

Also would like to get those protective exterior door "bumpers" (car ding preventers) I see on some new Lexus car lots that apply them to new cars. Is that the ONLY place to have them applied or is there an after-market brand/franchise that would be less costly? Thank you all so much for sharing so much of your car-loving experiences.
Old 01-17-14, 09:32 PM
mackbuck12
Driver School Candidate

I've had my es for 10 months. There are no scratches on that black shinny piece.
The thing that you have to really worry about is the light colored plastic pieces that come into contact with your shoes. They get scuffed and are very hard to clean especially if you get a light color.
Old 01-18-14, 07:01 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

I purchased and installed the side moldings that are body colored. These are for the purpose of preventing door dings. As I park my car very carefully - and away from others - I haven't any dings or scrapes to date. This is a useful accessory. As far as the black console, I purchased an aftermarket woodgrain kit that attaches by adhesive to the top of the console, gear indicator area, and cup holder lids. Turned out beautiful and cannot be scratched easily. Looks factory installed. Check with Sewell Lexus for the side moldings. The light colored plastic door sills and trim can be cleaned with a Mr.Clean "Magic Eraser'.
Old 01-18-14, 07:03 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Arline, I would strongly suggest that when you have your pom with you that you throw a small blanket or towel over the console to mitigate against scratches.
Old 01-18-14, 09:51 PM
arlinek
Driver School Candidate

bc6152: Could you please tell me where you purchased the woodgrain kit? The trim on our car is "dark brown Birdseye Maple". If you have the same, what specific name of the woodgrain did you order and does it match the existing woodgrain from Lexus quite well?

Canesguy: Yes, a good idea but not always so practical for us and cov'g up the area makes it difficult and also prevents our pom from seeing what she should be trying to not step on. She might leap into the gearshift or something.

Thanks for all your responses.
Old 01-19-14, 06:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by arlinek
bc6152: Could you please tell me where you purchased the woodgrain kit? The trim on our car is "dark brown Birdseye Maple". If you have the same, what specific name of the woodgrain did you order and does it match the existing woodgrain from Lexus quite well?

Canesguy: Yes, a good idea but not always so practical for us and cov'g up the area makes it difficult and also prevents our pom from seeing what she should be trying to not step on. She might leap into the gearshift or something.

Thanks for all your responses.
The woodgrain matches Lexus trim perfectly. It is named "Birdseye Maple". Simple to install when temps are above 70 degrees F. I'll send you a PM with the information in a little while.
FYI - there is a previous thread where I posted photos of the kit installed. Believe it's under "wood overlay".

Last edited by bc6152; 01-19-14 at 07:05 AM.