ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

dash squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 03:13 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default dash squeak

I bought my ES in January of this year, and almost from the get go I've had an intermittent problem with a squeak in the dash... I really think this is a cool weather issue because last weekend it was in the mid 70;s here and not a single noise... this morning temps dropped into the upper 40's and there was that damn squeak again... it's located right over the speedometer about 2 to 3 inches in from the edge ( just beyond my grandson's right hand in the pic below... Took it to the dealer a week or two back but because it wasn't making any noise, they told me there was no point in leaving it... but this morning they said bring it buy and we'll put you in a loaner.... I've heard of this being an issue on some IS models but not on any ES models... anyway according to what i've read the fix was to remove the screws on the bottom side of the dash 'hump" and then insert some felt in there... hope this works, because even though it's just a squeak and nothing mechanical, it is annoying as hell... has anyone else experienced this dash squeak on an ES...

Poppa
Attached Thumbnails dash squeak-cooper-in-grandpa-s-new-lexus-01-19-2014-4-3200x2400-copy.jpg  
Old 04-15-14, 05:33 AM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No dash squeak here.
Old 04-15-14, 07:58 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't doubt that you're having a temperature related issue. Since you had it from day one, I'd give it to them to fix. Things like that have always driven me crazy too, so I know how you feel. It definitely takes away from your enjoyment of the car.

(Cute picture, but you should consider black Lexus carpeted mats.)
Old 04-15-14, 08:06 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a dash squeak in my 2007 ES.. They put a foam piece under the dash and it helped.
Mine was a cold issue.
It's very annoying I hope they fix yours.
Old 04-15-14, 09:49 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a dash rattle, but found that it came from my parking pass stuck between the windshield and the dash. No squeak, but that would be darn annoying. I hope that's a fix. Good luck.
Old 04-16-14, 02:08 AM
Poppa
Instructor

well, the dealership has had my car since noon monday and I haven't heard a word... don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing... If I haven't heard from them by tomorrow morning ( thursday ) I'll give them a call...... Driving a loaner ( 2012 ES ) Nice car, but I miss big red.... and canesguy, good call on the black carpet mats... the loaner I'm driving now has them, and I really like the fact they don't show dirt like those light colored one's in my car.... thanks for the suggestion...

Poppa
Old 04-18-14, 02:40 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
I had a dash squeak in my 2007 ES.. They put a foam piece under the dash and it helped.
Mine was a cold issue.
It's very annoying I hope they fix yours.
Yes it is annoying! And I am not sure what to do next. Picked my car up from the dealership today and went straight to work. No squeaks or rattle.... then I drove home from work tonight, around 11 pm and there was that damn squeak again. and the only difference between the time I picked it up at the dealership and drove it home later that night was the outside temperature. mid 70's at noon, down in the low 60's / high 50's when I came home at 11. Even a few hours ago I went out to get something out of the car ( in side the garage ) and I lightly pressed on the dash area above the speedometer and the squeak is still there.... 45K car and I have this persistent squeak. Not sure how to handle this since I just got it back from the dealership, but I guess I have no recourse except to call the service dept. again and let them know they didn't fix it. Any thoughts on how to handle this without coming off as a jerk at the dealership? btw, they told me at the dealership that they put some felt inside the dash where the dash / clips are located...

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 04-18-14 at 02:41 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-18-14, 03:39 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have they heard the noise themselves? If not video tape it and supply it to them. It may assist them in correcting the issue.
Old 04-20-14, 05:11 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Have they heard the noise themselves? If not video tape it and supply it to them. It may assist them in correcting the issue.
Elliot, yes they have actually heard the noise... well what happened is the mechanic or service writer never heard it... when I dropped the car off I asked the service writer to come out to the car so that she could hear the squeak for herself... that way if the mechanic came back with one of those " I'm not able to reproduce the squeak" answers, then she could say that she heard it herself.. but what she did was have a porter ride with me down the highway, and he confirmed to her that there was indeed a squeak coming from the dash..
Old 04-29-14, 09:20 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Did you ever bring it back to see if they can re-do the fix?
Old 04-30-14, 02:16 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arty101
Did you ever bring it back to see if they can re-do the fix?
HI Arty.... No, actually have not taken it in for that... The reason being now that the temperatures are back in the 70's and up, no squeak.... funny thing about the squeak, when it was doing it in the cool weather ( like low 60's and below ) you could take your finger and gently push on the top of the dash and re-create the squeak.. and when you pushed on the dash you could actually see it was pliable and had a small amount of flex to it... but with the warmer temps, no squeak and when I tried to recreate it pushing on the dash with my finger... nothing doing, dash doesn't give at all, hard as a rock... so it's definitely a cool weather thing... even though I did not take the car back for that, I was at the dealer ship this past weekend and just happened to catch my service writer and sales person together... we talked about it for a minute and they agreed no reason to bring it in if it' isn't doing it, but they both assured me that if and when it starts again, they will get it fixed.... right now enjoying the heck out of driving a squeak free lexus.. thanks for asking. ( sorry I got so long winded, I tend to do that )

Poppa
Old 04-30-14, 07:05 AM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poppa
HI Arty.... No, actually have not taken it in for that... The reason being now that the temperatures are back in the 70's and up, no squeak.... funny thing about the squeak, when it was doing it in the cool weather ( like low 60's and below ) you could take your finger and gently push on the top of the dash and re-create the squeak.. and when you pushed on the dash you could actually see it was pliable and had a small amount of flex to it... but with the warmer temps, no squeak and when I tried to recreate it pushing on the dash with my finger... nothing doing, dash doesn't give at all, hard as a rock... so it's definitely a cool weather thing... even though I did not take the car back for that, I was at the dealer ship this past weekend and just happened to catch my service writer and sales person together... we talked about it for a minute and they agreed no reason to bring it in if it' isn't doing it, but they both assured me that if and when it starts again, they will get it fixed.... right now enjoying the heck out of driving a squeak free lexus.. thanks for asking. ( sorry I got so long winded, I tend to do that )

Poppa
Definitely stay on them about that squeak. I guarantee it will start again in the winter. Mine always did.. It's good you have it noted in your records it started right away..
I bought my 07 ES used in 08 and the squeak was there the whole time I own that car.. But again it was only a problem in the winter..
I would bring it in and they would add foam/felt to it and it would go away then I guess the hot summers here would break down the foam and the following winter back again for a new piece of foam..
The original owner also complained about the squeak when he had my car too. I actually think there was a service bulletin on my dash squeak.
It really wasn't a big deal.. When I had my car serviced for the first time in the winter I would just have then add a fresh piece of foam.
Old 04-30-14, 09:00 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hi Poppa - good to hear that it's not a problem now. The summer weather tends to heat up the dach and make to soft and pliable. The winter weather on the other hand, as you've noted, makes the dash firmer and harder. The dash squeaks and rattles can be a tough thing to solve.

Personally, I'd try to fix it myself instead of having them take apart the dash which may cause more issues later. Maybe you could push a little felt between the window and dash while it's a bit loose and soft now. Just below the dash so you don't see it, but between the window and top of dash. See if that will work?
Old 04-30-14, 11:07 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Poppa, you need to move to Maui. See if Lexus will pay to move you and your car?
Old 04-30-14, 01:26 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Poppa, you need to move to Maui. See if Lexus will pay to move you and your car?
Max707, your random driveby posts in other people's threads aren't particularly clever or helpful.

Quick Reply: dash squeak