ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 09:26 AM
lkayser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery Drain Issue

We just purchased a new 2014 ES-350 with milage as of this morning < 400. In the past 3 days the battery has completely drained twice. The dealer came out and jumped it both times. The dealer ran their usual set of diagnostics and found nothing wrong. They tell us we were not driving the car enough. That with all of the electronics the battery has to be used "heavily" at least 20 mins a day.

So a couple of questions

1) Is this normal, if so I doubt this would have been our new car

2) If not what can be done.

It is less than a 20 min drive for either of us to work and that is in stop and go traffic. It seems much like a design problem that should be addressed.

This is not our first Lexus and we bought based on previous experiences but with now having more limited mobility we wanted a reliable form of transportation and It is starting to look like a very un-wise decision.

I could understand some of this but brand new, seems a bit "odd" and why would they design a car that by default is not reliable and undependable. Is this what they call a lemon?

They also want to install a $200 battery tender, what is that?

Now they tell us that we have to keep the Key FOB away from the car when not in use as it activates some of the electronics when too close. I think they have been sniffing too much brake dust.

Thoughts?

Last edited by lkayser; 12-13-13 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Adddendum
Old 12-12-13, 09:36 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by lkayser
We just purchased a new 2014 ES-350 with milage as of this morning < 400. In the past 3 days the battery has completely drained twice. The dealer came out and jumped it both times. The dealer ran their usual set of diagnostics and found nothing wrong. They tell us we were not driving the car enough. That with all of the electronics the battery has to be used "heavily" at least 20 mins a day.

So a couple of questions

1) Is this normal, if so I doubt this would have been our new car

2) If not what can be done.

It is less than a 20 min drive for either of us to work and that is in stop and go traffic. It seems much like a design problem that should be addressed.

This is not our first Lexus and we bought based on previous experiences but with now having more limited mobility we wanted a reliable form of transportation and It is starting to look like a very un-wise decision.

I could understand some of this but brand new, seems a bit "odd" and why would they design a car that by default is not reliable and undependable. Is this what they call a lemon?

They also want to install a $200 battery tender, what is that?
Although I have the hybrid, I have been away for over a week and have never had an issue. My wife's 2006 GS is also "loaded with electronics" and it sometimes site for a month, with the original battery, and starts right up. It may have a drain that is not normal and should be fixed. I would insist that they replace the battery, at your home or office, first as it could be an intermittent bad cell. I believe the "tender" is nothing more than a trickle charger.
Old 12-12-13, 09:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

That does seem odd. We buy new cars with a lot of electronics every 3 years or so and sometimes they sit for several days or a week at a time without driving them and have never had a battery problem.

You might double check to see if something in the car is being left on, or plugged in, overnight or while it sits. That could be the culprit. It could be something on your end.

If you're not satisfied with the dealers response you might try another one who will diagnose things further.
Old 12-12-13, 11:42 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Well I live in Pennsylvania and on Monday we got 6" of snow. Now it's 21F outside. I last used my Lexus on Friday of last week. I've been using the wife's new Accord (don't want to get the Lexus dirty). Today, Thursday, I used the Lexus. Remember I said 21F for temps. Started right up.
I have left the car at an airport for a week and no issues. The 20 minutes a day usage is a bunch of baloney. What if you travel or use another car? Something is wrong with the car unless you left a light on. There was another thread regarding this issue but I don't know what the outcome was.
Same scenario, battery draining... I would start with a new battery.

Regarding your question about a battery tender, I have two classic cars. A '66 Corvette and a '31 Ford. When the summer is over they both go away for the winter and are attached to a battery tender. The battery tender maintains a constant charge on the battery without causing damage so that in the Spring I will have fully charged batteries in the cars. The cost: $53.00 at almost any auto parts store.
You should not require a battery tender. These people are slinging BS at you and hoping it will stick. Something is amiss in the car.

Last edited by bc6152; 12-12-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 01:17 PM
brittmayo
Driver

I think you are being prevaricated upon.
Old 12-12-13, 01:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brittmayo
I think you are being prevaricated upon.
In addition to being prevaricated upon you're being BS'd.
Old 12-12-13, 01:57 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find another dealer to assist you with this issue.
Old 12-12-13, 02:37 PM
txes
Lead Lap

I think dealership representative's prevaricated about the real problem with the car.

John
Old 12-12-13, 03:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lkayser
I CAN'T BELIEVE ANY REPUTABLE TECH WOULD SAY SUCH A STUPID THING. I sell Lexus cars and believe me, several cars sit for weeks without being started and they work just fine when started. Something wrong with your car. Period! Leave it at the dealer and don't take it back until they fix it. If that doesn't work call corporate and file a claim. They will instruct you further.
Old 12-12-13, 03:46 PM
brboot
Driver School Candidate

They are feeding you a bunch of crap. Our 2013 has sat for more than a week and fires right up. It sounds like a defective battery to me for which they need to at least replace to see if that is the issue. I would call corporate and complain.
Old 12-12-13, 10:02 PM
azn103
Driver School Candidate

Just report this BS to Lexus Corporate so they'll teach that dealership a lesson. Write a review on Yelp as well as it'll help consumers to be informed. But for now, find another dealership that is more knowledgeable.
Old 12-13-13, 07:17 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2013 ES 300h sits for more than 2 weeks without being started or driven. No problems at all. I think something is draining you battery.
Old 12-13-13, 11:59 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your new ES should be able to sit for weeks and be able to fire right up.

Should be trivial with a meter to see what kind of current is being drawn with the car off. Hopefully and in all likelihood what you have is simply a defective battery.
Old 12-13-13, 02:24 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, you can't EVER leave the car at the airport?

tech makes zero sense...
Old 12-16-13, 01:11 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Let us know the outcome of the battery issue. What the dealer said or did, and if you contacted corporate to complain.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Issue