ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 05:25 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
I did a test on the trunk light, that's not the problem (placed my camera in the trunk then closed everything - the light went out) I did however find a possible work around. I can only speak on the GS and the RX since I've never owned the other models. So I found a section in my GS manual that is not in my 2013 RX manual. So all of the Lexus models have a car "Battery-saving function" that keeps the cars battery from draining while the car is not in use. There is an example of this in the 2013 GS manual page 107. However ONLY in the 2013 GS manual is there a additional Electronic Key Battery Saving Function . This function turns off the remote FOB so that it does not emit or receive any radio signals, therefore your car will not "search" for the remote when the car is off. (By doing this there is no drain on your battery while it sits)

Manual States:
When the (cars) battery-saving mode is set, battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving radio waves.
Press the unlock button twice while pressing and holding down the lock button. Confirm that the electronic key indicator (on the remote) flashes 4 times.
While the battery-saving mode is set, the smart access system with push-button start cannot be used. To cancel the function, press any of the electronic key buttons.

The crazy thing is that non of the service technicians at the dealership where aware of this. They also stated that this isn't in the other cars manuals. I'm starting to think Lexus knows they have a battery drain FOB issue but haven't discussed with their service techs or dealerships!

I'm testing this process and hopefully this ends the nightmare of my car not starting every time it sits for 5 days or more.
I believe that only turns the remote off and not the car, the car still needs to retain power for different settings etc. If your battery gets depleted after 5 days you either have a bad battery of another drain issue. My wife's 2006 GS sits for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and still starts every time and it has the original battery. Only if we let it sit for 4 weeks will I need to charge the battery or it will not start.
Old 03-11-14, 09:34 AM
CAS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain

I own a 2013 ES350 and the battery was too low to start after almost 4 days in garage. It was not dead, just low with a tat tat tat sound. A jump start from AAA, Lexus Roadside, and it started. At 19,000 miles and almost 12 months old, this was the first time.

There is a motor/pump that runs when the car is off. My dealer confirmed that it was in the fuel evaporator system. I have heard it several times after the car had been sitting for as long as 8 hours idle. I do not know how long it runs or how much power it pulls, but Lexus Corporate initially told me that there was no motor in the rear that runs. I also found that the gas cap was loose when I went to refill directly after the battery issue. I would have thought that if it was that loose, the car would warn me via the info system. Again, I do not know what parameters control the fuel evaporator system.

Will take car to dealer tomorrow, but i suspect they will not tell me anything.
Old 03-12-14, 09:46 AM
CAS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAS
I own a 2013 ES350 and the battery was too low to start after almost 4 days in garage. It was not dead, just low with a tat tat tat sound. A jump start from AAA, Lexus Roadside, and it started. At 19,000 miles and almost 12 months old, this was the first time.

There is a motor/pump that runs when the car is off. My dealer confirmed that it was in the fuel evaporator system. I have heard it several times after the car had been sitting for as long as 8 hours idle. I do not know how long it runs or how much power it pulls, but Lexus Corporate initially told me that there was no motor in the rear that runs. I also found that the gas cap was loose when I went to refill directly after the battery issue. I would have thought that if it was that loose, the car would warn me via the info system. Again, I do not know what parameters control the fuel evaporator system.

Will take car to dealer tomorrow, but i suspect they will not tell me anything.
Got back from dealer today and as expected the Service Rep tried to blame me for leaving a door open or something plugged in because there was nothing wrong with the battery or charging system. Since I knew that I did not cause this, I spoke with the Service Director who called in the Service Manager. Both were very nice and tried to answer all my questions.

Since the battery and charging system were tested sat, the issue most likely is with something drawing the battery down over time. I have heard a motor running under the rear of my car several times after the car was shut off and I got them to tell me that there is an evaporator pump that takes a suction on the fuel system and monitors the pressure over time to look for leaks. This system is controlled by water temperature, time the engine is off (at least 5 hours) and ambient temperature. The dealer does not have access to the ECM to read the time that this pump has been running but I would believe Lexus would have the access to look at my ECM over the 4 day period that my car was off to see how long this pump was running. The dealer did not know how long the pump runs but indicated that 1 minute should be enough. I told them that I had personally witnessed this pump running for at least 5 minutes the first time I head the noise.

I will monitor the battery voltage over time and try to determine how long the pump runs, will not be easy. The Director informed me that he was putting in a technical request for this issue. There appears to be one for the GS models already but no correction has been determined for that one for some time.
Old 03-12-14, 10:13 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's something wrong. I've left my car in the garage for over a week, and the battery starts up fine. Yes, there is a pump and some other odd noises even after the car has been parked a few hours, but I think it's referenced in the manual as being normal and not enough to drain the battery.

Good luck and keep us updated if there's a solution.
Old 03-12-14, 12:27 PM
CAS
Driver School Candidate

This car is over 12 months old, is not a daily driver and has sat for over two weeks before so this is something that has recently started to go bad.

If you assume that the dealer tested the battery and the charging system properly, then it has to be a pretty large load that is running after the car is shut down.

I do not know how much current this evaporation pump pulls but I would guess if it is not timing out properly, it could easily drain a battery. The service manager guessed it would only run once for about 1 minute but mine ran for at least 5 minutes after I first heard the noise and I do not know when it started as the car had been stopped for 8 hours that time.

Positive displacement pumps are not in the milliamp range but in the amp range. If you have a 120 amp/hour battery and run a 1 amp load it would take about 120 hours to drain the battery completely but I guess a battery only needs to be less than around 10 volts to not engage the starter or said another way, the battery would only need to lose about 17% of its capacity to not engage the starter. That would be 20 hours or running by my best guess. Ten hours if the pump pulls 2 amps.

Question would be cleared up it Lexus gives the dealership the ECU access to see the evaporator run times and it's current draw.
Old 02-26-15, 07:28 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the same issues. 13 es 350. Died 8 times the first yr, replaced battery and ecu replaced in November 14. Dead battery this morning. Dealers suspect's the key fob. I say bs and requesting a lemon thru corporate. Currently at the dealer. I drive minimal 400-500 miles a month sits no more than 3-4 days a week!
Old 03-03-15, 07:01 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Default Fixed

Dealer located the drain issue. I have the ultimate package and it comes with a seat extender on the drivers seat. The button was wedged in the on position thus what was causing the battery to drain. lol They are replacing the switch and I will conduct a test after that to make sure, fingers crossed.
Old 03-03-15, 07:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
Dealer located the drain issue. I have the ultimate package and it comes with a seat extender on the drivers seat. The button was wedged in the on position thus what was causing the battery to drain. lol They are replacing the switch and I will conduct a test after that to make sure, fingers crossed.
Wow! That was a quick find!
Old 03-03-15, 07:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Great news! Things such as this can cause severe frustration and anger at the dealer and car. Been there and done that. Glad that it's resolved.
Old 03-03-15, 08:30 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

yep, so glad it was an easy fix. Ill let it sit over the weekend and check the battery on Monday. I am pretty sure this is the fix. Very happy. Sewell Lexus in Ft Worth has been nothing but helpful and professional during my ordeal.
Old 03-03-15, 10:59 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is good news and excellent resolution. Your dealer sounds like they know what they're doing .
Old 03-11-15, 06:11 PM
wrclapham
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Car, Problem, and Dealer Response

Hi, my father-in-law has a 2014 Lexus ES350. It is 8 months old and has 1,860 miles. He recently went to Florida for six weeks and my wife and I checked on his house here in NJ about three times a week. The Lexus is kept in a well insulated garage where a refrigerator keeps the temperature at or above 40 degrees, even through the recent cold weather in February 2015.

I typically start the car once (sometimes twice) a week, back it up in the driveway, and let it idle for about 15-20 minutes. Last Friday the car would not start, it was not dead, but clicked and tried to run the startup checks. Roadside assistance came out (it was just one of the local dealer service techs) and he jumped the battery. He said that just idling the car for 15-20 minutes won't recharge the battery(?). I was surprised but I drove the car around for about 30 minutes and then put it back in the garage.

Monday the car would not start again. Roadside assistance jumped the car and had me drive it to the dealer. They kept it overnight, checked the battery and charger (all good), charged the battery, and gave the same recommendations:

1) the car can't sit idle for more than a "few" days to a week because the computerized electronics drain the battery
2) purchase a trickle charger (I believe it was $239 installed) and plug the car in each night.

My wife had a problem with her 2008 Chevrolet Suburban where we went through four batteries before they discovered a service bulletin about the OnStar system draining batteries. I wonder if there is a similar "software" issue with some of the systems in the 2014 ES350. My father-in law has had three ES350s in a row and we never had a problem before.

I don't know whether my Dad will encounter a problem as the weather is warmer and he typically drives the car at least once every three days. I will post more updates as appropriate.
Old 03-12-15, 06:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by wrclapham
2) purchase a trickle charger (I believe it was $239 installed) and plug the car in each night.
That's a little steep! Mine was less than $20. Probably not a bad idea for him to get one.
Old 03-12-15, 02:19 PM
wrclapham
Driver School Candidate

I guess my concern is that the car needs to be plugged in at all. I could see the need for a battery charger if the car was left for weeks without running, but a few days to a week? We all accept that most smartphones have to charged daily but I would not have thought a car would have the same battery draw while "off".
Old 03-12-15, 03:03 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wrclapham
Hi, my father-in-law has a 2014 Lexus ES350. It is 8 months old and has 1,860 miles. He recently went to Florida for six weeks and my wife and I checked on his house here in NJ about three times a week. The Lexus is kept in a well insulated garage where a refrigerator keeps the temperature at or above 40 degrees, even through the recent cold weather in February 2015.

I typically start the car once (sometimes twice) a week, back it up in the driveway, and let it idle for about 15-20 minutes. Last Friday the car would not start, it was not dead, but clicked and tried to run the startup checks. Roadside assistance came out (it was just one of the local dealer service techs) and he jumped the battery. He said that just idling the car for 15-20 minutes won't recharge the battery(?). I was surprised but I drove the car around for about 30 minutes and then put it back in the garage.

Monday the car would not start again. Roadside assistance jumped the car and had me drive it to the dealer. They kept it overnight, checked the battery and charger (all good), charged the battery, and gave the same recommendations:

1) the car can't sit idle for more than a "few" days to a week because the computerized electronics drain the battery

My wife had a problem with her 2008 Chevrolet Suburban where we went through four batteries before they discovered a service bulletin about the OnStar system draining batteries. I wonder if there is a similar "software" issue with some of the systems in the 2014 ES350. My father-in law has had three ES350s in a row and we never had a problem before.

I don't know whether my Dad will encounter a problem as the weather is warmer and he typically drives the car at least once every three days. I will post more updates as appropriate.
They replaced my ECU with a revised one. Still didn't fix it, but mine was a faulty seat extender that stayed in the on position. I have a 13 ES350 with the ultimate package.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain Issue