ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pump at Station auto stops too soon. Poor tank ventilation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 08:04 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Idk how the ES is designed but my 2010 RX after it's first initial shut off I can pump about 2 - 4 more dollars worth of gas before it gets close to spilling out. Don't worry I've never had a spill, and I'm sure I can get a little more in it even after But I don't push it.
Old 12-16-13, 06:59 PM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the fuel NEVER gets close to spilling out. I see the fuel in the neck after I stop it. By then time I replace the nozzle and get my receipt you can't see any fuel in the neck at all.
Old 12-17-13, 06:57 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I think that, to a large extent, when the pump shuts off the flow of gasoline before the tank is filled, it is the result of how sensitive the gas pump is to being able to detect that the tank is filled, and I find that whether it shuts off too soon or not can vary quite a bit depending on what station I'm filling up at.

Also, I find that if, instead of inserting the nozzle completely into the neck of the tank, I hold the nozzle about an inch from being completely inserted, the pump will shut off when it is supposed to shut off. Especially with my GX and sometimes with my ES, the tank can be almost completely empty and, if I insert the nozzle as far as it goes, the pump will shut off within a couple of seconds and many gallons from achieving a complete fill, but, if I hold the nozzle about an inch from being fully inserted, it will continue filling until the tank is full.
Old 12-17-13, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I think that, to a large extent, when the pump shuts off the flow of gasoline before the tank is filled, it is the result of how sensitive the gas pump is to being able to detect that the tank is filled, and I find that whether it shuts off too soon or not can vary quite a bit depending on what station I'm filling up at.
This is true...but something about the design of the tank/filler neck in the Lexus makes gas pumps more apt to shut off before the tank is filled.We use the same gas stations to fill both the GS and the Jeep, the Jeep NEVER cuts off until its full, regardless of the station...and I find the GS cuts off 90% of the time before its full. Same stations, same pumps.
Old 12-17-13, 02:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is true...but something about the design of the tank/filler neck in the Lexus makes gas pumps more apt to shut off before the tank is filled..
I agree. The 3 Lexus vehicles that I've owned have been more likely to experience this phenomenon than vehicles that I've owned from other manufacturers, including Toyota. Also, though it is more likely to happen with my GX than with my ES. It makes me wonder if it might be a Lexus design "feature" whose purpose is to make it less likely that there will be fuel spills that result from overfilling the tank. But, as I said in a previous post, this "feature" is easily overcome by just keeping the pump nozzle an inch or so short of being fully inserted in the tank while filling up.

Last edited by lesz; 12-17-13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-17-13, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
But, as I said in a previous post, this "feature" is easily overcome by just keeping the pump nozzle an inch or so short of being fully inserted in the tank while filling up.
I've tried that, works sometimes but not every time...
Old 12-22-13, 03:55 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.....I'm new here (belong to Corvette Forum and 4Runner Forum) but came by to see if anyone was having a problem we just started having, and I see some of you guys/girls do. I bought my wife a 2013 ES350 for her birthday last April, we've gotten up to 10k miles on it, but in the last 4 to 6 weeks we have been having the same problem filling up at stations, not the same station either, different ones, nozzle clicking off almost as soon as you start pumping fuel, it's happened to us from as low as 1/4 tank to 1/2 tank when trying to fill up . Pulling it out to about one inch into the filler pipe doesn't work either, just constantly clicks off, pain in the butt to fill up. Anyways, brought it to the dealership yesterday, they've got it, gave us a loaner, so we'll see what happens, they've already clarified the problem because they attempted to put gas in it too. I'll see what they say and let you guys know.
Old 12-31-13, 07:04 AM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Default Update!!!

Well unfortunately they found a small cap of some sort lodged into the vent pipe of the filler neck. They had to drop the fuel tank to get it out, of course not covered by warranty, , but it's still perplexing after 10k+ miles and just in the last 6 weeks or so of filling up we started having the "clicking-off" problem at the gas pumps....On well, it's done now, she has her car back and it's filling up fine.

Just thought I'd share the outcome with you'll.
Old 12-31-13, 07:52 AM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Yikes! Wonder how that happened. Just got home from driving 1800 miles and every time I stopped at gas stations I had to do the old "only the tip" solution. I could drive for around a 100 miles or more before the needle would move from FULL. I never had any fuel spill out of the tank while I was filling up.
Old 12-31-13, 01:06 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]They had to drop the fuel tank to get it out, of course not covered by warranty, [QUOTE]

Why not?
Old 12-31-13, 01:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

[QUOTE=alpinefun;8304134][QUOTE]They had to drop the fuel tank to get it out, of course not covered by warranty,

Why not?
Just guessing, but probably because a small cap wedged in the vent pipe isn't covered by warranty. It probably got stuck in there after purchase.
Old 12-31-13, 02:56 PM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Most likely the small caps on those gas detergent bottles.
Old 12-31-13, 08:39 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

I put in an order and picked up her ES in April, 2013, didn't have any problems until about 4 to 6 weeks ago it started giving her trouble filling it up. I do admit, I've added a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron to the tank, but those bottles have the aluminum foil over the opening that I am very careful of making sure I remove it all from the bottle before pouring it in any of my tanks....I've been adding fuel-injector cleaners in my vehicles for 20 + years, started with STP and moved up to Chevron and Seafoam....Seafoam has the clear plastic tab that you have to take completely off in order for it to flow out of the bottle....anyway, the damn cap was RED, noting I've ever used, but still, warranty didn't cover it, turned into a $544. dollar "red cap" repair job!

I have no idea how it got in there, but I have some people looking at it trying to find what it may have been part of. I dunno....