ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Rear suspension absorbs bumps poorly ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 04:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've always said that. Before I got the GS when I was looking at another ES, I thought my 2010 and a 2013 rode so similarly that if you closed your eyes while riding down the road you'd be hard pressed to know which one was which.
Old 01-01-14, 08:12 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran over a huge pot hole at about 40mph that I couldn't avoid and found that I no longer have smooth ride. I believe I caught it with both right (passenger) side tires. It still drives straight and no visual damage was found when I parked and look around to see if my bumper or side skirt got a piece of it. I now find that I have a bumpy and loud ride when I go over regular road imperfections such as man holes, bridge joints or even small pot holes. When my ex girlfriend got in my car for the first time in over two weeks she asked me what did I change that it seems different and a lot bumpier ride so I know I'm it's not me just being paranoid. My question is suspension covered under warranty for something like this because I no longer absorb bumps to what I did when it was new?

The car has about 11,000 miles with the UL package which includes 18in rims and panoramic roof which. We all know that the bigger rims cause a bumpier ride but maybe with an all glass roof I hear more cabin noise over bumps.
Old 01-01-14, 08:18 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Get it checked out asap. I doubt it's covered under warranty but you might be able to get the city to reimburse you if there are repairs needed.
Old 01-02-14, 07:28 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

At that speed you could have bent a wheel and now it's out of round. Otherwise, a suspension link. I highly doubt that Lexus would fix an accident such as this under warranty. Potholes are treacherous and can cause severe damage to suspension parts when hit at high speeds.
Old 01-02-14, 04:49 PM
MikePA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrlexEd88
I ran over a huge pot hole at about 40mph that I couldn't avoid and found that I no longer have smooth ride. I believe I caught it with both right (passenger) side tires. It still drives straight and no visual damage was found when I parked and look around to see if my bumper or side skirt got a piece of it. I now find that I have a bumpy and loud ride when I go over regular road imperfections such as man holes, bridge joints or even small pot holes. When my ex girlfriend got in my car for the first time in over two weeks she asked me what did I change that it seems different and a lot bumpier ride so I know I'm it's not me just being paranoid. My question is suspension covered under warranty for something like this because I no longer absorb bumps to what I did when it was new?
Covered under warranty? Why would Lexus cover accident damage?

The car has about 11,000 miles with the UL package which includes 18in rims and panoramic roof which. We all know that the bigger rims cause a bumpier ride but maybe with an all glass roof I hear more cabin noise over bumps.
This information is irrelevant, unless you managed to have the UL package installed in the two week period between your ex girlfriend riding in the car.
Old 01-02-14, 08:36 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikePA
Covered under warranty? Why would Lexus cover accident damage? This information is irrelevant, unless you managed to have the UL package installed in the two week period between your ex girlfriend riding in the car.
Of course I wouldn't be honest with my stealer and say "hey I ran over a pot hole, fix it!" I would of lied to get some free suspension work done "the car seems to ride bumpy and makes lots of noise and gets worse by the day" just wondering if it would slide ... I mention that I had the UL package bcus I find that non-UL (loaners that I have driven) without a panoramic roof have a quieter ride in my opinion due to less outside noise such as wind.
Old 01-03-14, 02:30 AM
MikePA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course I wouldn't be honest with my stealer and say "hey I ran over a pot hole, fix it!" I would of lied to get some free suspension work done "the car seems to ride bumpy and makes lots of noise and gets worse by the day" just wondering if it would slide ...
Please try and lie to the dealer. Your post after they confront you (it will be easy to determine it was accident damage) will be an interesting read.
Old 01-03-14, 06:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MikePA
Please try and lie to the dealer. Your post after they confront you (it will be easy to determine it was accident damage) will be an interesting read.
Yes, the service department could tell at a glance what happened.
Old 01-03-14, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course I wouldn't be honest with my stealer and say "hey I ran over a pot hole, fix it!" I would of lied to get some free suspension work done
LOL, Who raises people like this?
Old 01-03-14, 06:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

As we all know, dealerships are not above BS'ing customers.

On the flip side, they are more than aware that customers BS them regularly.

Unfortunately it's the nature of that business.
Old 01-03-14, 09:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Of course I wouldn't be honest with my stealer and say "hey I ran over a pot hole, fix it!" I would of lied to get some free suspension work done "the car seems to ride bumpy and makes lots of noise and gets worse by the day" just wondering if it would slide
I think that most would consider it to be bad form and inappropriate to go onto an internet forum and to ask for help in being unethical, lying, and trying to scam a dealership into giving you a free repair for what is essentially accident damage.

There are times in all of our lives when we have bad luck, are the victims of our own carelessness, or s--t just happens. While none of us enjoy those times, they are the times when it is appropriate to suck it up, pay up, and move on.

You do have the option of making an insurance claim, but depending on the cost of any needed repairs, it may well be the case that paying for the repairs out of your pocket is preferable to adding a claim to your insurance records and potentially increasing your premiums.

In any case, in addition to any possible suspension damage, there is a high probability that you will also be needing an alignment. You really should get both the suspension and alignment checked out as soon as possible and get any repairs done immediately. Not doing so is likely to add the cost of replacing prematurely worn tires to your tab, and, like with any suspension repairs, I doubt that you will have much luck lying your way into getting the tire warranty to cover the tire replacement costs.
Old 01-03-14, 09:15 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

i've noticed that the rear suspension on my ES(UL, 18") definitely seems a lot stiffer than the front. Going over small bumps or divots in the road surface is quite noticeable, especially at medium to low speeds.
Old 01-03-14, 10:39 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mspearl95
i've noticed that the rear suspension on my ES(UL, 18") definitely seems a lot stiffer than the front. Going over small bumps or divots in the road surface is quite noticeable, especially at medium to low speeds.
Check tire pressures and make sure they're not set too high (have seen 40psi on a loaner).

The 18" OEM size tires have about 3/4 of an inch less sidewall height than the 17s. (3.9in vs 4.6in) and does offer grippier performance at the expense of some cushiness.

On a side note, 225R50 18s would fit the existing rims and get most of that sidewall height back.
Old 01-03-14, 11:03 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

yup checked tire pressure- all sitting at 33/34. its something i can live with, but it definitely could be better. feels like it 'pops' over(some) bumps, and doesn't absorb them very well.
Old 01-03-14, 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mspearl95
yup checked tire pressure- all sitting at 33/34. its something i can live with, but it definitely could be better. feels like it 'pops' over(some) bumps, and doesn't absorb them very well.
Try deflating them to like 31. I run my GS's 18s at 31 (door says 33) and prefer the ride

Quick Reply: Rear suspension absorbs bumps poorly ?