Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h MPG going down and down...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 05:22 PM
mberding
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caydoc
I have 1900 mi on car, and the MPG average for the entire time is 43-44 ...My current tank is averaging 46..this is during cool weather, short urban commutes and tire pressures of 33. This is my fifth hybrid, and I think the high mpg is due in large part to experience with this kind of machine.
Your numbers seem much better than most peoples. Can you list a couple of your top tips please? Also, what climate are you in, and is that city, highway, or blended MPG numbers?
Old 03-27-14, 01:15 PM
Caydoc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned a lot about maximizing MPG by studying several of the tutorial videos on YouTube...the ones I am referring to feature the Prius, but principles are similar to our 300ESh. The pulse-and-glide technique is most important to increasing FE, and can be practiced freely when traffic allows. I have had the car for three months, and temperatures have varied from 30-65F. I rarely use the seat heaters, and limit use of the heater/fan to a few minutes after the ICE has reached operating temp.
For anyone who is interested in pursuing this subject, I recommend lurking on the PriusChat forums; there is a lot of informed advice and experience to be had.
I have had three Gen.3 Prii, and a Lexus CT200h...on my most recent Prius, lifetime MPG was about 56-59, calculated. The Prius computer MPG is consistently 4-5% optimistic.
Old 03-28-14, 06:28 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I learned a lot about maximizing MPG by studying several of the tutorial videos on YouTube...the ones I am referring to feature the Prius, but principles are similar to our 300ESh. The pulse-and-glide technique is most important to increasing FE, and can be practiced freely when traffic allows. I have had the car for three months, and temperatures have varied from 30-65F. I rarely use the seat heaters, and limit use of the heater/fan to a few minutes after the ICE has reached operating temp.
For anyone who is interested in pursuing this subject, I recommend lurking on the PriusChat forums; there is a lot of informed advice and experience to be had.
I have had three Gen.3 Prii, and a Lexus CT200h...on my most recent Prius, lifetime MPG was about 56-59, calculated. The Prius computer MPG is consistently 4-5% optimistic.
Same experience here, 300h is my third hybrid (RX 400h, '10 Prius before). 3 years on the Prius was 55 mpg (dash monitor), one year on the 300h is 41. I use the seat heaters, and leave the heat on Auto at 71 with A/C off in the winter. Just had the one year service at the dealer, about 100 miles away, all 55 or 70 mph limits, and since they filled the tank after replacing the trunk release handle it logged just that trip, and achieved 44 mpg indicated. Typically I see slightly better mpg around town (town, not city) than highway. Prius Chat +1.
Old 03-28-14, 09:48 AM
MissyBissy
Rookie

It's time to fill up here - any suggestions on the best gas to use?
Old 03-29-14, 11:22 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
It's time to fill up here - any suggestions on the best gas to use?
It's been said that it's best to use 'top tier' brand gasoline, which are the major brands incl Shell, Chevron, 76 etc. Personally, I fill up at Costco, where it's between 20-30 cents per gal cheaper. Modern Gasoline requires detergent that keep the injectors and valves clean. In Calif, the requirements and formulation are more restrictive and uniform, so the gas is almost the same. There's only a few refineries in the state that produce gas for everyone, which is why gas prices spike whenever a refinery is down because of maintenance, problems, or switching blends.
Old 03-29-14, 02:24 PM
Caydoc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree re your comments on fuel brands. I use the discount chains like Sams, Costco, etc. It's important to fill up from high-volume stations where there is quick turnover in their underground tanks. Also, all else being equal, I try to buy from the newest stations in town; presumably, their tanks are cleaner and have accumulated less "stuff".
Old 03-29-14, 02:49 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
It's been said that it's best to use 'top tier' brand gasoline, which are the major brands incl Shell, Chevron, 76 etc. Personally, I fill up at Costco, where it's between 20-30 cents per gal cheaper. Modern Gasoline requires detergent that keep the injectors and valves clean. In Calif, the requirements and formulation are more restrictive and uniform, so the gas is almost the same. There's only a few refineries in the state that produce gas for everyone, which is why gas prices spike whenever a refinery is down because of maintenance, problems, or switching blends.
I agree re your comments on fuel brands. I use the discount chains like Sams, Costco, etc. It's important to fill up from high-volume stations where there is quick turnover in their underground tanks. Also, all else being equal, I try to buy from the newest stations in town; presumably, their tanks are cleaner and have accumulated less "stuff".
+1 to both of the above quoted posts. In my area, the same truck that fills the tanks at the lowest-priced stations then goes to fill the tanks at the higher-priced Shell and BP stations. Yet the prices at the "discount" stations are $.25 lower than those at the Shell and BP stations. As long as the fuel is at the minimum recommended octane rating, it should be just fine, and regular grade fuel in most parts of the country should be at least at that minimum recommended octane level.
Old 03-31-14, 12:37 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

I was low on gas after work and didn't have a lot of options so I went to a no-name station. I noticed I got much lower gas mileage on that tank - like 3-4 mpg no matter how I drove. I filled up at Shell last time and I'm already noticing a difference based on the car read out. I don't usually have the patience to wait in line at Costco
Old 03-31-14, 02:43 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MissyBissy
I was low on gas after work and didn't have a lot of options so I went to a no-name station. I noticed I got much lower gas mileage on that tank - like 3-4 mpg no matter how I drove. I filled up at Shell last time and I'm already noticing a difference based on the car read out. I don't usually have the patience to wait in line at Costco
Like fine bottled water, top tier gasoline has a certain, Je ne sai quoi.
Old 03-31-14, 04:27 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is never a wait at 8am when I visit my local Costco!