ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 01:46 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeys350
Where can I buy it and how much more expensive is it? I refuse to buy anything from the dealerships and their ridiculous pricing. I run mobile 1 in all my cars including my 06 mustang gt that I run A LOT harder than my wife or I will ever run our es350.
Mikey - Longo Toyota sometimes has a good price (around 5 something a quart). Sometimes you can buy it by the case (12 qts) on eBay but it's only a good deal with free shipping. I've seen deals on eBay at around 63-67 bucks with free shipping. From what I have read, this is really good oil.

Bill
Old 11-14-13, 01:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Where can I buy it and how much more expensive is it? I refuse to buy anything from the dealerships and their ridiculous pricing. I run mobile 1 in all my cars including my 06 mustang gt that I run A LOT harder than my wife or I will ever run our es350.
Perhaps, I've become too cynical, but I can't imagine that there is anything "specially formulated" about the Toyota-branded synthetic oil, and I suspect that, other than the packaging and the pricing, it would be the same product as the Mobil 1. If Mobil touts their Mobil 1 as being the best product available, what could they formulate differently that would make the Toyota-branded product better for a Toyota or a Lexus?

What I also know is that, if I go to the Lexus dealer for an oil change, which, for me, involves 2 1/2 hours of driving each way, I will pay $125 for that oil change. If, on the other hand, I go to the local Toyota dealer for an oil change using the the same Toyota synthetic oil, the cost is just over $50. If Toyota/Lexus can try to convince me that there is value in paying over twice as much to have a Lexus dealer change my oil instead of a Toyota dealer, I would also question their trying to convince me that there is something special about their oil compared to the Mobil-branded synthetic oil that is likely made in the same production facility.
Old 11-14-13, 02:01 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Perhaps, I've become too cynical, but I can't imagine that there is anything "specially formulated" about the Toyota-branded synthetic oil, and I suspect that, other than the packaging and the pricing, it would be the same product as the Mobil 1. If Mobil touts their Mobil 1 as being the best product available, what could they formulate differently that would make the Toyota-branded product better for a Toyota or a Lexus?

What I also know is that, if I go to the Lexus dealer for an oil change, which, for me, involves 2 1/2 hours of driving each way, I will pay $125 for that oil change. If, on the other hand, I go to the local Toyota dealer for an oil change using the the same Toyota synthetic oil, the cost is just over $50. If Toyota/Lexus can try to convince me that there is value in paying over twice as much to have a Lexus dealer change my oil instead of a Toyota dealer, I would also question their trying to convince me that there is something special about their oil compared to the Mobil-branded synthetic oil that is likely made in the same production facility.
I understand your skepticism - if you feel like it, go to the website I cited, read up and decide for yourself. I'm only passing on what I have read. The TGMO supposedly has a different add pack than the normal Mobil One. If you choose not to believe it, the normal Mobil One is a great oil too - and they are pretty close to the same price.

Bill G
Old 11-14-13, 02:36 PM
azn103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone doing Royal Purple?
Old 11-14-13, 02:38 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=bgaerttner;8237065The TGMO supposedly has a different add pack than the normal Mobil One. If you choose not to believe it, the normal Mobil One is a great oil too - and they are pretty close to the same price.

Bill G[/QUOTE]

That is pretty much my point. Technology has improved engine production so that production tolerances are so much tighter than they were a couple of decades ago, and lubricants have improved so much that I can't imagine that any special formulations are going to make any meaningful difference with using the Toyota oil over using the Mobil oil. I know that, with the Toyota Tacoma and the Lexus ES that I previously owned, I used regular Pennzoil non-synthetic oil and did the oil changes at 5000 mile intervals. They both had around 150,000 miles on them when I traded them in. I had no engine problems whatever with either vehicle. The engines were running as smoothly with 150,000 miles on them as they did when they were new, and gas mileage remained at the same level throughout my ownership experience. I would expect similar results if I use the Mobil 1 and not the Toyota oil with my 2013 ES.

In any case, for me, it is irrelevant because I have no problem letting the local Toyota dealer change my oil for a bit over $50 and using the Toyota synthetic oil. What I do have a problem with is the Lexus dealer trying to convince me that they are doing something special for a cost of $125 per oil change.
Old 11-14-13, 03:11 PM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I agree with you. I'm not paying inflated prices for stuff I can do on my own with more than good enough oil for the type of driving anyone would do on an es350. I ran mobile 1 on my mustang even when I was taking it to the track for a few years. I beleive "regular" mobile 1 synthetic fits my needs fine. No need to fall into the "special" lexus oil or any other car type oil I have ever read about
Old 11-14-13, 04:23 PM
azn103
Driver School Candidate

^Mikey I have to disagree with you! Lexus uses magical pixie dust and unicorn horns to make their synthetic oil Top Notch!

^ I agree with you. I'm not paying inflated prices for stuff I can do on my own with more than good enough oil for the type of driving anyone would do on an es350. I ran mobile 1 on my mustang even when I was taking it to the track for a few years. I beleive "regular" mobile 1 synthetic fits my needs fine. No need to fall into the "special" lexus oil or any other car type oil I have ever read about
Old 11-14-13, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Bobistheoilguy is a great source. If they are saying there is something to the Toyota branded oil, I believe them.

As for oil change prices, I'd be surprised if a Toyota dealer would do a synthetic change for $50. At $8 a quart just the oil is $48. I don't use the dealer, but you do get perks for that $125, loaner, a free wash (such as it is), and nice surroundings...
Old 11-14-13, 05:29 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even my local Jiffy Lube charges $45 for dino oil, not even synthetic. And you only get your windows washed .
Old 11-14-13, 05:43 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts
Default motor oil

For those who wish to change their oil themselves, (me) you can get Mobil 1 0W20 or 30 at Walmart for $24.97 for 5 quarts. Add another quart and a Tough Gard Fram filter cartridge for about 6 bucks and you have your oil change for less than $40.00. Add your labor and you're done for 10 thousand miles...

Now if I could actually get my oil changed at a Toyota dealer for $50.00, I'd go there.

Last edited by bc6152; 11-14-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 06:52 PM
azn103
Driver School Candidate

You can probably get your ES300h Hybrid in to a dealership for that price. Just tell them it's a Toyota Avalon Hybrid with a nice body kit.

Just for comparison sakes:
ES300h - $120 for an Oil Change
Avalon - $68 for an Oil Change (Called a Toyota Dealership)

Originally Posted by bc6152
For those who wish to change their oil themselves, (me) you can get Mobil 1 0W20 or 30 at Walmart for $24.97 for 5 quarts. Add another quart and a Tough Gard Fram filter cartridge for about 6 bucks and you have your oil change for less than $40.00. Add your labor and you're done for 10 thousand miles...

Now if I could actually get my oil changed at a Toyota dealer for $50.00, I'd go there.

Last edited by azn103; 11-14-13 at 07:02 PM. Reason: More Detail
Old 11-14-13, 06:55 PM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! Guess I should have read around some more before saying that. Now I feel stupid

I get my mobil oil at wal mart also. Cant beat the price and always in stock.
Old 11-14-13, 07:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152

When I was talking about the price at the local Toyota dealing, I said that it was a little over $50. If I remember correctly, it is about $53.

The local Toyota dealer is actually quite reasonable in what its service department charges. When the air conditioning system on my GX was leaking refrigerant, the Lexus dealer said that the refrigerant lines needed to be replaced at a cost of about $2000. The Toyota dealer quoted me between $800 and $900 for the same repair, but they also said that they thought that just replacing a fitting and gasket would take care of the leak. That is what I had them do. The cost of the repair was about $150.

While having a waiting room with gourmet ice cream and donuts and getting a "free" car wash are nice, I'm happier to pay the Toyota prices that come with a free cup of coffee and the opportunity to watch TV. If a consumer can buy the Mobil 1 synthetic oil for $25 at Wal-Mart and a filter for $6, I'm sure that the Toyota dealer or Lexus dealer is buying the oil and filters for even less. Thus, the Toyota dealer can still make a profit at $53 for the oil change, and $125 or more from the Lexus dealer is, to me, outrageous, regardless of how many amenities they offer.
Old 11-14-13, 07:53 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use to pay around $50 for oil change on my RX and GS, but non-synthetic. I wouldn't think it would double for the newer stuff, but times have changed, and.....the bottom line.
Old 11-15-13, 08:19 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seems to not be as many DIY's as I thought... To each their own though. Just on this Lexus it is so darn easy to change the oil, so that is why I will do it myself. On my W12 that took 13.5 qts; yes 13.5... I changed it myself and it wasn't bad besides the flood of oil coming out of the car. My 4.2L A8 was a PITA to get to the oil filter, so that I had my indy dealer change for me if it wasn't during the warm summer months. Even then I got 8qts of synthetic oil, a genuine audi filter, and the service all for under $100; and Lexus is charging $125 for 5qts synthetic, a filter and what 5-10 minutes of labor it takes to change the oil on this car. Oh the stealer....

Quick Reply: 5K-mile Oil Change Interval too much?