ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models
View Poll Results: How do i feel about the new look?
Best
64.00%
Good
24.00%
Average
8.00%
Poor
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

What about the new looks ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 03:01 PM
nipukumar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the new looks ?

Hi Folks,
This is my very first post on club Lexus! I actually wanted to buy ES350h since 2013 but the disappointing looks not letting me to. I waited one year to 2014 model but look is not changing. What is most disappointing about the new look is "rear view" - specially tail lamp (back light) which make me feel or say -- This is not Lexus!

Specially, looking back all pre 2013 Lexus models have well designed tail lamp (back light) which was kind of Lexus signature to all Lexus vehicle. If i see those old Lexus models on the road from any angle, just by seeing the back light i can tell this car is Lexus. Such was the strong identity of those back light design. This feature is entirely lost in the new Lexus models. More than anything the tail lamps look are disappointing and turn off. However in the GS model and above back light look is somehow still ok. But ES350's are totally very ordinary looking. I just captured screenshot of back view from Lexus 350 and Honda Odyssey and placed side by side. It looks like Lexus copied those Odyssey design. For me the tail lamps of the new ES350 model which are tapered towards inside edge (marked in the pic below) spoiled everything. A more bold, symmetrical design are usually appealing to eyes. A few things like front grille, tail lamps, head light design constitutes more than 50% of the looks and these things makes the car beautiful. I am attaching the captured screenshot with the post. Please do pass your valuable comments. - Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Lexus.bmp (695.6 KB, 578 views)
Old 11-06-13, 03:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Here are my valuable comments.

A couple of points. There is no ES350h. There is ES350 and ES300h.

Second, 2013 was the first year of the new gen so you shouldn't have expected many, if any, major changes to a new model that is selling like hotcakes.
Old 11-06-13, 03:27 PM
azn103
Driver School Candidate

Default Different Model...

I would LOVE if the US market had the IS300h like in Taiwan and Europe!

It's a Hybrid with 60:40 Split Seats!

Last edited by azn103; 11-06-13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 03:48 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

personally, I like the lines of the new model, which to me is much improved over the last gen. that being said, all new cars are starting to look more and more the same. I imagine this is due at least in part to what the computer modeling shows to be the most efficient design for aerodynamics and safety.
Old 11-06-13, 04:18 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To each their own. I personally like the look of the front and rear of the new ES.
Old 11-06-13, 10:20 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

While this tail light look might seem "classic", I think it will age better. Sometimes, you see the new tail light designs, that look nice when they first appear, but once you get used to them a year later they look ugly. This ES tail light will still look nice, say 4 years from now. And BTW I don't see resemblance between the Honda Odyssey tail light and the Lexus ES. The ES tail lights look much better.
Old 11-06-13, 11:20 PM
nipukumar
Driver School Candidate

Hi All.. Thanks for all the replies. Since both ES350 and ES300h model are built in the same platform i perhaps mistakenly referred the wrong one in the context i was speaking. Nevertheless, as far as the looks go both are same. As some one pointed out, it does not resemble the back light design of Odyssey -- If one makes the top edge of the tail light straight (which is tapered right now) in ES350/300h model, it is more or less resembles the Odyssey. Also, in a close up picture due to wrap around body design of the tail lamp, it does not look very bad. But when one takes a look of the moving car on the street which is always a glimpse, back side look not at all impressive to me. But again this is just me. There are people who liked the new look.

As some one pointed with age, this new look will become popular. I agree generally with that theory. But when the basic design itself is so ordinary -- which is so common not only in odyssey but in many vehicles, i doubt how far impact Lexus ES350/300h will be able to make on its own.

In the Luxury segments all the brands like Mercedeez, BMW, Audi has new design in last few years. When it comes to tail light design, Mercedeez has been the outstanding in that department. Every time i see it on road. I keep looking at those tail lamps which added to overall beauty of the car. Literally each part of a segmented-line looking brake light (in the tail lamp) in the Mercedeez reminds me a piece of a chocolate every time i see it (when the light is in actual glowing condition). That's how much they perfected the design and captured people imagination !

Last edited by nipukumar; 11-07-13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 04:50 AM
brboot
Driver School Candidate

I doubt the design of the taillights will change for the next 2 years. Looks are a matter of opinion and my Wife and I really like the looks of the entire car including the taillights. I think the car is better looking than the last generation. Again a matter of opinion.
Old 11-07-13, 05:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

With the previous gen ES (2007-2012), the taillight design was tweaked on the 2010's with the mid-cycle refresh. Maybe this is something they might do with this gen, but who knows it's barely a year old right now.

As others have said, it's strictly a matter of personal preference and most likely won't chane anytime soon.
Old 11-07-13, 06:00 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shape of the tail lights mimics the grill which is pulled in at the middle. It is definitely preference whether you like them or not, but I do agree with one of the posts that rear end designs look similar to the new Lexus models. A hyundai elantra and sonata, the Kia optima... From a straight on view from the back yes, but once you start seeing it at an angle the body shape lets you know it is clearly not a Lexus.
Old 11-07-13, 07:27 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default looks ARE subjective

One thing about the car's looks (any car, for that matter) is don't buy or lease it if you don't like it
Old 11-07-13, 07:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Canesguy
One thing about the car's looks (any car, for that matter) is don't buy or lease it if you don't like it
Wise advice...
Old 11-07-13, 07:57 AM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

One thing my wife really wanted on her es was a rear spoiler. I think it adds just what is needed to the rear to complete the look. The car we bought didn't come with a spoiler, but I negotiated they add it on before I completed the deal. Should be getting it in and installed this week. Besides that, we both like the overall look of the es. The only thing we wish it had was the same exhaust setup in the rear as the gs. Still new to Lexus and haven't researched if the gs rear lower valence and rxhaust tips can be swapped in to the es.
Old 11-07-13, 08:32 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeys350
One thing my wife really wanted on her es was a rear spoiler. I think it adds just what is needed to the rear to complete the look. The car we bought didn't come with a spoiler, but I negotiated they add it on before I completed the deal. Should be getting it in and installed this week. Besides that, we both like the overall look of the es. The only thing we wish it had was the same exhaust setup in the rear as the gs. Still new to Lexus and haven't researched if the gs rear lower valence and rxhaust tips can be swapped in to the es.
My wife has the same spoiler preference...that plus she prefers bright red and a manual transmission. Last three cars had...two Volvos and one Accord...each had spoilers, two were bright red and the Accord was a Dark Cherry and all three had manual transmissions.

I think next purchase may end up with automatic but we will still look for a "red" paint variant and will add a spoiler if it does not come with one

I like your purchase and you seemed to have got a very good "deal"...Tom
Old 11-07-13, 08:56 AM
mikeys350
Driver School Candidate

My wife had a manual transmission acura rsx type s before and loves manual transmission also. If lexus had a manual transmission option, we definitely would have gotten it. Her rsx was white, but right before the Lexus we had bought her a black granite Equinox LTZ. I own a blacked out 06 mustang gt and love the look of black even though they are a pain to keep clean. I just placed a big order of car detailing/wax/pads and other stuff from autoality for both of our cars yesterday. Just need to order the weathertech mats before it starts raining.

Quick Reply: What about the new looks ?