Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 and ES300h (2013+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Car Still Running after Leaving Car

Old 11-04-13, 02:24 PM   #1
BB989898
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Car Still Running after Leaving Car

Hi,

As I am just getting used the keyless start, not sure if it is good or bad yet. But the other day I left the car and got out (with key in my pocket) only problem the car was still running. Any idea on how to make sure I turn off the car.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
BB989898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 02:39 PM   #2
lesz
Lead Lap

All you should have to do to shut off the engine is to press the start/stop button. If that doesn't shut off the engine, you need to see the Lexus service department.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying that the problem is, but, if you are expecting the engine to shut off automatically without having to press the start/stop button, that is not the way it works.
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 03:10 PM   #3
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic

If it is the issue that lesz described, you might want to look in the owners manual and get some info on how the keyless features work.
LexBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 03:33 PM   #4
Dave Mac
Lexus Test Driver

If you are saying you exited the car and walked away without turning it off, no, the car isn't going to shut itself off but you should get quite a few warning sounds as you walk away and I don't believe you would be able to lock the car.

I think you will find the smartkey system is very good - I can't imagine ever having another car without it.

Dave Mac
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 05:15 PM   #5
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
If you are saying you exited the car and walked away without turning it off, no, the car isn't going to shut itself off but you should get quite a few warning sounds as you walk away and I don't believe you would be able to lock the car.

I think you will find the smartkey system is very good - I can't imagine ever having another car without it.

Dave Mac
+1 Mac. I leave my wife in the car all the time while I run in to grab some take out. Car will beep 3 times ( i think it;s 3) telling you the car is still on with out the key in it. Every time I drive a car with out a smart key it feels very strange to me. Having to use a key (GASP!) to manipulate something to get into and actually start a vehicle ! LOL!
Xpcgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 05:43 PM   #6
jrlxr7
Driver School Candidate

Red face car running

Don't feel bad,,, I walked away, had a cup of coffee and a doughnut and 15 minutes later returned wondering why my car was still running! Won't make that mistake again.
jrlxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 05:52 PM   #7
jbm79
Driver

When you exit the car and the engine is still on, the car will give out 3 beeping/warning sounds (provided that no other keys are inside the vehicle). I also found that you cannot lock the vehicle upon exiting the door (whether there is a key inside or not) while the engine is on.

I would like to be able to lock the doors from the outside with the engine on by touching the outside door handle, but this Lexus won't allow it. My Nissan keyless would allow this, which is useful when you need to leave your vehicle for a very short time (like checking the mailbox) and you just want the engine to keep running. Even pressing the lock button on the keyfob will not lock the vehicle.
jbm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 06:08 PM   #8
imz14u2nv
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB989898 View Post
Hi,

As I am just getting used the keyless start, not sure if it is good or bad yet. But the other day I left the car and got out (with key in my pocket) only problem the car was still running. Any idea on how to make sure I turn off the car.
I havenít tried it with my 2013 ES350 but with my 2007, if I closed the door with the engine running there was a loud persistent beep. When I would take the car to the car wash, they would vacuum the car, shut the door and I would hear my car beep (Single Continuous) all the way through the car wash.
imz14u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 06:35 PM   #9
Mike728
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm79 View Post
I would like to be able to lock the doors from the outside with the engine on by touching the outside door handle, but this Lexus won't allow it.
They made this an option, called "remote engine starter". $500 for something you need to be right next to the vehicle to activate. If they allowed what you're asking, the RES would be even more useless.
Mike728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 07:21 PM   #10
jbm79
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike728 View Post
They made this an option, called "remote engine starter". $500 for something you need to be right next to the vehicle to activate. If they allowed what you're asking, the RES would be even more useless.
But RES is to start the vehicle "remotely" i.e. without getting inside the vehicle. Useful on a hot day to turn on the AC (or on a cold day to turn on the heaters).

I already manually started the engine when I got in the car. I just want to be able to lock it without shutting down the engine when I need to leave the vehicle for a very short amount of time. At least using the keyfob to lock the doors should work, but I guess there is no run-around this issue.
Old 11-04-13, 07:40 PM   #11
Arty101
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlxr7 View Post
Don't feel bad,,, I walked away, had a cup of coffee and a doughnut and 15 minutes later returned wondering why my car was still running! Won't make that mistake again.
Be happy someone didn't just hop in and drive off.
Arty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 07:16 AM   #12
jml33
Driver School Candidate

This is my first car with the start/stop. I left it for valet parking and they had to come find me as the remote was in my pocket! Learning to live without the key.
jml33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 07:48 AM   #13
yardie876
Lexus Champion

yardie7326

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm79 View Post
When you exit the car and the engine is still on, the car will give out 3 beeping/warning sounds (provided that no other keys are inside the vehicle). I also found that you cannot lock the vehicle upon exiting the door (whether there is a key inside or not) while the engine is on.

I would like to be able to lock the doors from the outside with the engine on by touching the outside door handle, but this Lexus won't allow it. My Nissan keyless would allow this, which is useful when you need to leave your vehicle for a very short time (like checking the mailbox) and you just want the engine to keep running. Even pressing the lock button on the keyfob will not lock the vehicle.
You can use the physical key to lock the doors while the engine is running. It's annoying and cumbersome to pull the key out of the fob but it works none the less.
Joe Z Cat Back Exhaust
yardie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 01:30 PM   #14
jonmanch
Driver

If you know you are going to valet park the car, put the key in your cup holder when you first get into the car. If you find a space on the street and try to lock the car with the key inside, the car will beep and not lock. A clue the key is still in the car.
jonmanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 03:56 PM   #15
jbm79
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie876 View Post
You can use the physical key to lock the doors while the engine is running. It's annoying and cumbersome to pull the key out of the fob but it works none the less.
Pass! LOL
Old 11-05-13, 03:56 PM

Tags
2007, 350, drive, engine, es350, keyless, leave, leavin, left, lexus, lock, luex, nissan, running, rx, start