Originally Posted by GES
I will talk about the ES300h. This car is the perfect combination of:
1- Luxury at a reasonable price
2- Fuel economy(40mpg) in a large car
3- Interior comfort and ride
4- Reliability
5- V-Good performance for a hybrid while
maintaining excellent fuel economy
I think lexus did excellent job in creating this car. I don't think there is any other car that combine all these elements as well as the ES 300h
Absolutely agree! My previous vehicle was a '10 Fusion Hybrid and I nearly purchased a '13 version as replacement. The interior is still a bit crude and MPG is woefully below EPA estimates..

Ironically, the ES300 Hybrid didn't appear on my short list until very late in the search process. All your posted attributes indeed form a unique blend of goodness.
Old 11-05-13, 09:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
See this is the only thing I strongly disagree about. When I put my 2013 ES 350 out of park, it makes a loud noise and it has some force that comes with it. I don't know if it is because instead of having a simple parallel shifter up and down, it makes you move to the right, then down to get to reverse, then drive. Happens every single time no matter how quickly or slowly I put it out of park.
I suspect that the sound and force that you are describing has nothing to do with the transmission. Instead, it is likely coming from the suspension. When the vehicle is parked, the weight of the vehicle compresses the suspension. And, when you start it up again, put the transmission in gear, and start to move, the suspension decompresses. If you are listening for it and especially if you have the window open, you are likely to hear and feel a clunk when this happens. That is quite normal. My GX does it. My previously owned 2006 ES did it, and so has every other vehicle that I've owned. How noticeable the sound and force are can vary depending on a number of factors, including the temperature and humidity and how long the vehicle has been parked.

Originally Posted by Lexusxoxo
This is a thread about what you LIKE about the car!
And, yes, I do appreciate the majority who have decided that it was appropriate to maintain the positive spirit that was intended for this thread.

Last edited by lesz; 11-05-13 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 08:00 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Although my 300h has CVT, it too is smooth and quiet. Could very well be what Lesz says about the suspension but I don't get that noise either.
Old 11-05-13, 10:14 PM
lovexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 300h Ultra.
1. I love the size of this car. Very roomy. I am 6 ft tall and there is a lot of leg room for the back seat passenger.
2. I love the comfortable and quiet ride.
3. I love the gas savings (getting average 38mpg) while driving in town with EV mode and get instant power when switch to Sport mode.
4. With the Mark Levinson Audio, it is so much better than the Premium Audio. I test drove the ES350 with only the Premium Audio for 5 days before purchased mine. The sound quality is huge different between the Mark Levinson and the Premium Audio specially if you are sitting in the back seat.
5. The style and the look of the car. I love the unique spindle grille with the LED Day time Running light.
6. When walk close to the car with the key fab in my pocket, the puddle lights light up the exterior and the dome lights illuminating the interior without touching the car. It is enjoyable every time I walk to my car at night. I also changed all the interior lights to crystal white LED and it look so much better than the original yellowish lights.
Old 11-06-13, 06:12 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am enjoying the positive comments on the ES. I have a question for those who truly like and enjoy your ES.

While I consider myself a driving "enthusiast" and I do like the GS...I also like the ES*very much, especially the price difference...vs the GS. One thing that seemed to get in my head is the feeling that the ES "feels" much larger (not just the back seat) especially the front end/hood area??? When you look at the total length it is only 2" longer than the GS...but from the drivers seat and from the front it just seems much bigger???

Do any of you have such thoughts?...or is it just the GS threads that seem to think it is clear if you don't want a Lincoln Towncar ride you need the GS I do know while I drive very conservatively...I do like a firmness going around cloverleafs and I want the car to feel "planted" and very stable at 80mph on the freeways on ling trips. I think it used to be referred to a "European" ride and handling...back when US Cadillacs and Lincolns were real "boats".

I think the lines of the GS are a bit more sporty...particularly the front hood...which appears to taper more toward the front and also be a bit lower in the front?

Thanks Guys...I do like the ES and would like to hear from and ES closet driving "enthusiasts"...or is "ES...enthusiast"...an oxymoron????? Thanks...Tom
Old 11-06-13, 03:52 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
I am enjoying the positive comments on the ES. I have a question for those who truly like and enjoy your ES.

While I consider myself a driving "enthusiast" and I do like the GS...I also like the ES*very much, especially the price difference...vs the GS. One thing that seemed to get in my head is the feeling that the ES "feels" much larger (not just the back seat) especially the front end/hood area??? When you look at the total length it is only 2" longer than the GS...but from the drivers seat and from the front it just seems much bigger???

Do any of you have such thoughts?...or is it just the GS threads that seem to think it is clear if you don't want a Lincoln Towncar ride you need the GS I do know while I drive very conservatively...I do like a firmness going around cloverleafs and I want the car to feel "planted" and very stable at 80mph on the freeways on ling trips. I think it used to be referred to a "European" ride and handling...back when US Cadillacs and Lincolns were real "boats".

I think the lines of the GS are a bit more sporty...particularly the front hood...which appears to taper more toward the front and also be a bit lower in the front?

Thanks Guys...I do like the ES and would like to hear from and ES closet driving "enthusiasts"...or is "ES...enthusiast"...an oxymoron????? Thanks...Tom
Please understand that this comment has nothing to do with price, this is strictly my opinion based on style and taste.

Overall, I actually think that the ES350 Ultra Luxury Edition is a nicer looking car than the GS.

Let me explain… when the new GS came out with the Spindle Grill, I saw it on the street and said wow, that is the best looking GS I have ever seen (and this was coming from someone who never really cared much for the GS).

When I got to see the 2013 ES350 with the Spindle Grill, I instantly noticed that they did what looked to me to be a better job with Spindle, the chrome went all the way down the front and it just looks better to me.

The other thing that makes the ES unique and nicer to me than any other Lexus Sedan is the Panoramic Glass Roof, it looks great and I wouldn’t want to be without that (Not even the top of the Range LS has that feature).

Then I started to look more closely at the more angled lower front spoiler of the GS and I just like the look of the ES front end more.

Now, the GS Does have a more upscale looking interior, the larger Navigation screen is something that would be great in the ES.

The other thing that looks better to me on the GS is the nicer more finished muffler tips, the ES would have benefited from that, the GS has it, the LS has it, just would have made sense to me for the ES to have it also.

The one thing that we must always keep in mind though is that the ES does not pretend to compete in the Sports Sedan Market, that is in fact what makes it unique, it is a very very Good Entry Level Luxury Sedan that gets better and less Entry Level with every iteration.
Old 11-06-13, 04:30 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
The other thing that looks better to me on the GS is the nicer more finished muffler tips, the ES would have benefited from that, the GS has it, the LS has it, just would have made sense to me for the ES to have it also.
i agree with that. even the Avalon has the nicer integrated muffler tips.
Old 11-06-13, 05:53 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
i agree with that. even the Avalon has the nicer integrated muffler tips.
Can the Avalon's exhaust tips be screwed/attached to ES exhaust pipes? That would be a nice low cost mode.
Old 11-07-13, 06:12 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had the same GS loaner for the first two ES services. The GS is much tighter and more fun to drive (as was designed), but the ES suits our needs better.

I believe your comment of the size "feel" is at least partly because the GS hood slopes much more dramatically than the ES. I had not paid much attention before, but the GS was first in line of loaners, with an ES directly behind. At first glance from a distance I thought the GS was actually an IS and was about to ask for a larger vehicle, when upon further review I saw it was a GS.
Old 11-07-13, 06:53 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wasjr
I have had the same GS loaner for the first two ES services. The GS is much tighter and more fun to drive (as was designed), but the ES suits our needs better.

I believe your comment of the size "feel" is at least partly because the GS hood slopes much more dramatically than the ES. I had not paid much attention before, but the GS was first in line of loaners, with an ES directly behind. At first glance from a distance I thought the GS was actually an IS and was about to ask for a larger vehicle, when upon further review I saw it was a GS.

I think you are correct. My wife currently drives a 2008 Accord EXL...4 cyl with manual. It also has a hood profile that slopes down noticeably and gives the impression that it is a "small" vehicle...which it is NOT. BTW...the Accord ride is very "taught" and it has a very low center of gravity. IF the Accord were Lexus quality and Lexus "quiet" I would buy another in a minute. We also prefer a manual...but that is quickly becoming an option of the past. The new Accord does not offer manual with the EXL (leather equipped) version. Also, Accord is tremendous value (@ $25K+)...even though we have decided we want a better "road" car as we tend to take 4-6,000 mile road trips every year or two. '08 Accord is "famous" for terrible road noise intrusion...supposedly the '13+ has improved that quite a bit but we do want leather and prefer manual/4 cyl combo in Accord...amazingly fun to drive.

I am waiting at this point to see what the December to Remember deals are on the '13 ES...and what '13s are left then. May just wait for '14 if the '13 deals are now "great". Accord has already dropped very low in value with 110K miles and won't drop much if I go through the winter.

Still could "rationalize" why we "need" a GS with the 18" polished wheels...ya know when you spread the price difference over ten years it really ins't that MUCH Tom
Old 11-07-13, 06:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Still could "rationalize" why we "need" a GS with the 18" polished wheels...ya know when you spread the price difference over ten years it really ins't that MUCH Tom
Except, the GS gets worse gas mileage than the ES and requires premium. That's another thing I really appreciate in the ES.
Old 11-07-13, 07:25 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mike728
Except, the GS gets worse gas mileage than the ES and requires premium. That's another thing I really appreciate in the ES.
An excellent reminder...our Accord gets a touch over 30MPG in freeway driving and with regular gasoline it makes the long road trips a bit more economical. I would prefer the more "taught" suspension of the GS (or F Sport)...but really do not need the extra horsepower or the lower MPG or Premium gas requirements. Likely 5 MPG+ difference? and the extra price of Premium would make for more frequent and more expensive fill ups! I need a good mileage sedan to offset the MPG of our 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser...maybe 14MPG. Hey it is better than our previous 1991 and 1994 Land Cruisers

Wish there were after market (or Lexus) firmer shock and sway bar options for the ES...maybe and ES*"sport" option? Somehow I think Lexus (and maybe traditional ES buyers) would feel that such an option or aftermarket choice is unnecessary..."just get the GS" Tom
Old 11-07-13, 07:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

An excellent reminder...our Accord gets a touch over 30MPG in freeway driving and with regular gasoline it makes the long road trips a bit more economical. I would prefer the more "taught" suspension of the GS (or F Sport)...but really do not need the extra horsepower or the lower MPG or Premium gas requirements. Likely 5 MPG+ difference? and the extra price of Premium would make for more frequent and more expensive fill ups! I need a good mileage sedan to offset the MPG of our 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser...maybe 14MPG. Hey it is better than our previous 1991 and 1994 Land Cruisers

Wish there were after market (or Lexus) firmer shock and sway bar options for the ES...maybe and ES*"sport" option? Somehow I think Lexus (and maybe traditional ES buyers) would feel that such an option or aftermarket choice is unnecessary..."just get the GS" Tom
Have you considered a non-Lexus alternative for a combination of driving dynamics and fuel economy? Something from Infiniti, Acura, VW/Audi etc.?
Old 11-07-13, 08:16 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly4u
Absolutely agree! My previous vehicle was a '10 Fusion Hybrid and I nearly purchased a '13 version as replacement. The interior is still a bit crude and MPG is woefully below EPA estimates..

Ironically, the ES300 Hybrid didn't appear on my short list until very late in the search process. All your posted attributes indeed form a unique blend of goodness.

I found when I drove the new Fusion Hybrid, when I applied gas for spirited performance, it fell short and nothing happened. Especially compared to the Lexus hybrid, it I was a slug. The EPA mpg figures for the Ford are higher but wonder how much they translate to real world driving.
Old 11-07-13, 08:24 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Have you considered a non-Lexus alternative for a combination of driving dynamics and fuel economy? Something from Infiniti, Acura, VW/Audi etc.?
I have looked at Audi A6 but probably would get a GS instead...pretty close price point and historically Audi has had higher repair incidence and repairs are "more" expensive...I believe. Probably should look closer at VW Passat...same repair history and cost questions...plus you can get a nice diesel...never owned a diesel and would enjoy trying one. Also, I think the '14 Passat has some continuing improvements over the '13.

I do plan on taking a look at Acura...curious what documentation they have of "upgrades" from Accord...ie Accord vs Acura TL. Pretty significant price increase. Acura might be an option since the Accord does have many good features and the Acura TL is essentially an upgrade to the Accord...I believe?? BTW...Acura TL does have some manual transmission choices...with 6 cyl.

I do need to go look some more...but I am attracted to the Toyota/Lexus quality history. My last two Toyota Land Cruisers...1994 sold at 210K miles with no repairs beyond maintenance repairs and my 2004 currently at 145K again with nothing but normal maintenance/wear repairs...makes me lean strongly toward Lexus...for quality and luxury. I do appreciate Lexus is trying to add "sport" to their image. I tend to keep my vehicles for around 10 years or 200K miles...whichever comes LAST

Thanks LexBob2...good reminder Tom

Quick Reply: What do you really like about your 2013 (or 2014) ES