ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Check BSM error!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 10:24 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It could also be that some of the sensors are misaligned. My wife has an Infiniti M35X with adaptive cruise control, and several years ago, one day it stopped operating properly. It would not slow down when approaching another vehicle. I took it to the dealer and went for a ride with the GM. It did the same thing for him. Bottom line was that the radar sensor became misaligned (all by itself not damage or bump to the car). They realigned the radar and it has worked fine ever since.
Old 10-22-13, 12:59 PM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Took it into the dealer today. Just heard back from them, turns out that the exact same issue that happened on the one side of the car, now happened to the other side. So they are going to re-align and fix the sensor to hopefully have this be the last issue with the system. Surprised it's so finicky as the car is brand new and it happened twice now. Plus everyone at the dealer never heard of the issue before so it's odd.

On another note I got a 2014 RX as a loaner and I can say it is much much more to my liking than the CT I had last time. Only negative is for the price of the car the leather quality is quite thin and the lack of a heated steering wheel as standard on a car in that price range, is out of place.
Old 11-04-13, 01:19 PM
sbarbari
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check BSM System Error

I have had by ES300h two weeks and the "Check BSM System" warning light came on as I was driving home home from work. Lexus has had the car for 3 days now and are saying that it is a sensor in the bumper that needs to be replaced. It will take over a week fo the part to come in. Not off to a good start.
Old 11-04-13, 01:38 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbarbari
I have had by ES300h two weeks and the "Check BSM System" warning light came on as I was driving home home from work. Lexus has had the car for 3 days now and are saying that it is a sensor in the bumper that needs to be replaced. It will take over a week fo the part to come in. Not off to a good start.
Is it a 2013 or 2014?
Old 11-05-13, 06:38 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Originally Posted by sbarbari
I'm guessing his is a 2013 like mine was. As your dealer has had it for 3 days they must not have known what to look for originally. My dealer just re-aligned the "misaligned" sensor on both occasions this happened to me. It is probably the same case with you, the sensor most likely doesn't need to be replaced they just don't know it, or don't know how to re-align the system.
Old 11-05-13, 10:54 AM
rbruce7707
Driver School Candidate

My BSM warning light came on my 2013 300h this past weekend while on the interstate traveling at about 70.

I have an appointment with Lexus service tomorrow. Will bring up the aligned sensor issue.

Did not expect this from a Lexus. Had two Toyota Camrys and an Avalon and never had one warranty issue on any of them. Toyota's quality system must be slipping.
Old 11-06-13, 07:07 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Originally Posted by rbruce7707
My BSM warning light came on my 2013 300h this past weekend while on the interstate traveling at about 70.

I have an appointment with Lexus service tomorrow. Will bring up the aligned sensor issue.

Did not expect this from a Lexus. Had two Toyota Camrys and an Avalon and never had one warranty issue on any of them. Toyota's quality system must be slipping.
Both times I had this issue I was also on the highway. When my rear left sensor was "misaligned" I was on I-696 in Michigan going about 80, and a week later after I had it fixed, the rear right sensor went and I received the same error. This time I was going about 75 on the highway.. Don't understand how they can be misaligned. Whether it be poor fittings from the factory, or just from driving the car.
Old 11-06-13, 10:39 AM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy the "misalign issue". It's a sensor, it just detects the surroundings. There is nothing to align in there to begin with. If you check the bumper underneath the car, those are fixed and if it is lose you will notice it from the front. These sensors doesn't get lose/misalign by itself.

Dealer is not telling the whole story. I'm sure it is the BSM module going bad. Heck you can buy an after market blind spot monitoring and install it your self.
Old 11-11-13, 06:55 PM
rbruce7707
Driver School Candidate

Default BSM system

Got word from the Lexus dealer today that the replacement part for the system "just arrived in the country" and will be available to be installed December 13. What? Not even one in the country? What the heck kind of service system are they running?

I would expect this from Dodge or Ford, but Lexus?

Spending almost $50,000 on a car with a Lexus nameplate doesn't buy what you think I guess.
Old 02-21-14, 09:35 AM
jblacken
Driver School Candidate

My wife had a very minor fender bender in the right rear corner of my car. Three weeks later the BSM went out. Since it had been a while since the fender bender, I did not think the two were related. Took the car to the dealership and they proclaimed that due to the impact, the repair would not be covered under warranty.

Ended up taking the vehicle to a body shop, and sure enough they determined that the sonar was situated very close to where the impact occurred. They had to have a technician come out with specialized test equipment to realign the sensor and clear the error codes. Apparently it is a very delicate process, involving plumb lines and mirrors. Was told that the test equipment itself cost about $5000, and that they've seen dealerships charge $1500 for similar work.

So moral of the story, be very careful with any fender benders in your Lexus!
Old 07-06-14, 04:52 PM
Imallvol7
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm getting check BSM monitoring errors in my new IS350!

What do I do. I've taken it in once and its still giving me errors...
Old 07-07-14, 04:38 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Imallvol7
Funny that you say that. I've had mine fixed TWICE in the past since buying the car. Now over the weekend the alert has come on again and the system is once again in a broken error state. This is the third time for the exact same issue; it's getting to be ridiculous. I'm having the Lexus service manager call me and possibly contact Lexus corporate.
Old 07-07-14, 06:31 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Just received a call from the service manager at my local dealership. Service at the dealership has always been excellent and they have always been super friendly. Anyways, they told me that they will be installing new BSM sensors or system; that they believe have changed or been revised to fix this issue. I guess we will see...
Old 07-07-14, 01:50 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Imallvol7
Definitely take it back to the dealer. They may adjust or replace it.
Old 07-10-14, 02:39 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The radar detector wiring should not be an issue but why did you run the power wire to the dash? Mine is hardwired as well but I used the power source in the rear view mirror. That way I have no wires running under the headliner and into the dash. I also did not have to cut any wires just pushed them into the back of the connector and secured them with a small tie wrap.

Also, I have not had any issues with the BSM. At least not yet... Crossing my fingers...

Quick Reply: Check BSM error!