ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Aftermarket upgrade to stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 08:34 AM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket upgrade to stereo

I only have the base stereo in my 300h and I'm looking to upgrade. Went to one of the local audio stores and they said the best way to match the ML system is to go with a Hertz HDP5 amplifier and BitTen D audio processor. They said they have replaced a lot of ML systems with this setup. Anyone out there do an upgrade to your base system?
Old 10-02-13, 02:04 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I added a sub and kept everything else stock and it sounds great to me.
Old 10-02-13, 04:19 PM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you please post how you did this Lex?

I took my new ES to my audio guy to have my Radar detector hardwired. I asked about replacing speakers etc, he said it would be a big cost and would likely have to replace eveyrthing.

The main things I wanted to do was replace the speakers if I could, if not all at least the door speakers, and I'd like to add a controllable sub; just don't know how to add it.

Any insight would be great.
Old 10-02-13, 04:41 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Can you please post how you did this Lex?

I took my new ES to my audio guy to have my Radar detector hardwired. I asked about replacing speakers etc, he said it would be a big cost and would likely have to replace eveyrthing.

The main things I wanted to do was replace the speakers if I could, if not all at least the door speakers, and I'd like to add a controllable sub; just don't know how to add it.

Any insight would be great.
Basically all they did was tap into the signal that goes to the stock amp with a bass processor and used that signal for the aftermarket amp. I also had a **** installed beneath the steering wheel column to control the volume of the aftermarket sub.

If you prefer to replace the interior speakers, it would be a good idea to use a sound processor. A sound processor will clean up the signal from the stock amp giving you full range output to whatever amp you use. You could try to replace the door speakers to see how it sounds but if you want the best sound possible, It would be better to use a sound processor, amp, and all new speakers.

Here is a member that replaces everything
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-champion.html
Old 10-03-13, 06:03 PM
BobSagat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Added a 2x12" subs+amp to mine and it sounds great. Installer said the amp was under the seat AFAIK.

Hoping to replace all door speakers with Focal's next. Once its finished it should destroy a stock ML system for less money
Old 10-03-13, 06:07 PM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bob can you please contact me via email. Please pm me and I can give you the info.

I want to keep my stock head unit and everything without adding anything crazy. Essentially I just want to upgrade the door speakers to something that hits a little clearer with a subtle base tone as well as add a sub in the trunk. Looking for mainly just clear crisp music. My W12 had a $6k Bang and Olufsen sound system and it was amazing, and my 05 A8 has the Bose, for a stock system the Bose in that car is extremely nice. I heard the ML and even the base ES 350 speakers and it wasn't anything special by any means. They are also pretty quiet too I noticed. So definitely looking to upgrade, without doing any seat pulling or crazy wiring as electrical and aftermarket car audio is something I have never experienced.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-13, 08:29 AM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

So I went out to a few more shops this week and I decided to not go with the Hertz setup. It was high end and a high custom cost to install. Other shops said I really didn't need a audio processor. So for less then the two Hertz items I went with Kicker KX800.5, Kicker Comp S sub using an enclosed box in the trunk, and Focal 165 KR's in the door with the sound insulation. Installing next week so I will post how it sounds then.
Old 10-05-13, 06:44 PM
BobSagat
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jml33
So I went out to a few more shops this week and I decided to not go with the Hertz setup. It was high end and a high custom cost to install. Other shops said I really didn't need a audio processor. So for less then the two Hertz items I went with Kicker KX800.5, Kicker Comp S sub using an enclosed box in the trunk, and Focal 165 KR's in the door with the sound insulation. Installing next week so I will post how it sounds then.

nice!

Post with updates. Very curious to hear how those Focal speakers sound. Should be an awesome set up
Old 10-11-13, 08:22 AM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

Had the new system install last night and it sounds great. Very surprised as to what the stock speakers looked like. Very lights, mostly plastic, and look like they cost $10. I went with the Focal 165KR's up front and also did the dynamat in the doors. I then decided to replace the back door speakers an also did dynamat. I used less expensive Focal's in the back, IC165, which was suggested by the shop. I did at first try the Kicker Cop S sub but moved up to the Comp R to get a little more base. Shop said it would take about 20 hours of play time to dial in the sound on the speakers. Will update when I have more hours on the system.
Old 10-15-13, 07:04 PM
jml33
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to say I also added a MTX re Q5 5 channel bass restoration signal processor. I'm really liking my setup. Still dialing in where I was to set the speakers as in balance. I will then go back to the shop in a few weeks to tweak the amp setting and the Q5
Old 03-02-18, 12:42 PM
martydar
Driver School Candidate

Question Siri upgrade to 2014 IS250

I was wondering 2 things;
1- Does a OEM 2015 IS250 radio fit in a 2014
2 - would doing that upgrade my Siri access on my iPhone. I found that it works better in 2015 models and up.

Martin.
Old 09-08-18, 10:23 PM
zeddly
Driver School Candidate

I just bought my 2012 RX 350 and have a number of quality audio pieces I plan to install. I absolutely love the sound of Boston Acoustic subs and component sets. I also have a nice sounding JL audio 500/1v2 amp and a four channel Boston Acoustics amp I'm also considering using. I have an Audio Control digital EQ and Crossover that should do wonders when tapping into the stock head unit. I only wish my stereo had Apple Car Play installed in it. The head unit does not seem to be replaceable in my ride.
Old 09-09-18, 10:24 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

While this discussion may also apply to the 6th gen ES (the forum you have posted in), you are more likely to generate an active discussion with others that have installed similar mods to the same vehicle if you post in the 3rd gen RX forum.

Good luck with your audio mods.