ES vs GS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 07:34 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ES vs GS?

Good Morning...first post.

I had my 2004 Land Cruiser into Lexus for service and they gave me a 2013 GS loaner...for overnight. I liked the GS quite a bit and as we are thinking of upgrading our 2008 Accord to something new I have begun looking into the GS and also the ES.

Our desire is to have a great sport/touring auto...we enjoy taking driving trips 4-6,000 mile "rides" The Accord actually is a nice driving vehicle with tight suspension and very firm European type ride. While we like the Accord we are very disappointed in the road noise...which appears to be a common complaint about the Accords. Since it now has 105K miles we are thinking of an upgrade before this winters trip.

After driving the GS my wife and I went to the dealership and drove an ES yesterday...both were 2013s. We like a lot about the ES bur I just didn't get a "great" feeling from the test drive. Hard to explain but sitting in the front seat it "felt" much larger than the GS. It actually is not that much larger than the Accord (4" length) but the feel seemed more like a Lincoln Towncar than a sport sedan...I did not get that feeling in the GS...maybe because I only drove the GS while I also rode in the ES as a passenger??

ES road reports do address that the suspension is still quite "soft" but somewhat improved? I have sometimes increased sway bar diameter to improve cornering "feel" at a modest price? Is there a practical sway bar upgrade and maybe shock upgrade for the ES?...or is it not necessary or possible. I do not want a canyon carver...just a clover leaf comfort level

ES seems to be a real value when compared directly to the GS? Probably would get different comments on the GS forum but I would guess many have either owned or looked at both.

Also, did notice the engine "noise" in the GS more than the ES...guess that is on purpose?

Thanks in advance...seems like a well attended forum...Tom
Old 10-13-13, 07:59 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gs is better imo
Old 10-13-13, 08:25 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cartune
Gs is better imo
I agree.

Is it worth the $10-$15K additional price?

Also, can you moderately upgrade ES handling with larger sway bars and better shocks??? At what cost?

What insights from those who have either owned or considered BOTH??

Thanks Tom
Old 10-13-13, 08:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It does sound like the GS would be better given your preference for handling etc. The price difference would be strictly up to you and your pocketbook. You might also check over on the GS forum for input. There might be some former ES owners there too.
Old 10-13-13, 09:57 AM
jrlxr7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS v. ES

I am very familiar with the 2008 Accord, my two sons each have the V-6 and love it, as young men they are not really affected by the road noise, however I clearly notice it and would not be able to deal with it on a long term basis. I purchased the 2013 ES300h and am very pleased after 6000 miles. It is quiet, comfortable, the UL version has great sound and luxury and it has an unbelievable cruising range at 36+mpg. It even has nice power, especially compared to my 2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid. We considered the GS but the cost vs. the ES did not represent value, others clearly believe differently. However, I believe the ES is the best selling Lexus. Either way, I am sure you will be happy.
Old 10-13-13, 10:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

If money's not an object, get the GS.
Old 10-13-13, 10:10 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

You are talking about 2 very different vehicles that, even putting the price difference aside, are each intended to appeal to very different market segments.

If you are looking for a "sportier" feel with a less restrictive exhaust, rear wheel or all-wheel drive, and a firmer ride quality and if you are willing to accept significantly lower mpg and like the louder, throatier engine sound, you would be making a mistake by purchasing an ES.

On the other hand, if you appreciate the softer ride quality, like keeping engine noise to a minimum, place higher mpg as an important aspect of the vehicle, and see advantages to FWD, you would be making a mistake if you bought a GS (and would needlessly be spending significantly more money).

While not to the same extent, asking whether buying a GS or an ES is a better choice is akin to asking whether buying a Corvette or a Tahoe is a better choice. Either might be the better choice depending on what aspects of the vehicle are more important to the buyer.
Old 10-13-13, 10:21 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

For interior room get the ES. For performance and interior quality get the GS.

As someone else stated here on the forums, some of the suspension upgrades for the Camry are compatible with the ES.
Old 10-13-13, 10:39 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jrlxr7
I am very familiar with the 2008 Accord, my two sons each have the V-6 and love it, as young men they are not really affected by the road noise, however I clearly notice it and would not be able to deal with it on a long term basis. I purchased the 2013 ES300h and am very pleased after 6000 miles. It is quiet, comfortable, the UL version has great sound and luxury and it has an unbelievable cruising range at 36+mpg. It even has nice power, especially compared to my 2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid. We considered the GS but the cost vs. the ES did not represent value, others clearly believe differently. However, I believe the ES is the best selling Lexus. Either way, I am sure you will be happy.
We purchased the 2008 EX-L with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission...my wife enjoys manual transmissions, as do I...primary wife's vehicle as I have the Land Cruiser. I have been very impressed with the Accord...at not much over $25K it was about 50% of the price of the Volvos we had driven for many years. Saw nothing in the Volvo line we liked and said the Accord would be a good "temporary" car. The Accord is actually fun to drive as it has very low center of gravity with typical Honda firm suspension...certainly not a "sports" car but enjoyable to handle on the typical clover-leaf. Temporary Accord now six years old with 105K miles.

The one "killer" in the Accord is VERY bad road noise. We enjoy 4-6,000 mile road trips nearly every winter and enjoy books on tape as we drive. After 5,000 miles we were very unhappy with the road noise and having to listen at very high volume on the radio. Newer "version" of the Accord the road reports say "road noise is improved but still bothersome".

I guess we would like the "quietness" of the ES with a bit of the handling of the GS...but not for $10-$15K extra. Thus, I am curious if larger sway bars and firmer shocks might be an optional aftermarket "upgrade"??

I guess worse case at net around $40K for the ES you could decide to go another direction if you later determined it was not what you wanted. Seems like one of the better "values" in the market...at that price and with Toyota reliability and Lexus customer service. BTW...I always go to Lexus for work on my Land Cruiser...other than normal oil changes...I trust and enjoy their service department more than the local Toyota garage.

Thanks for your input...Tom
Old 10-13-13, 10:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The GS is the better car, it does cost a lot more so that should be kept in mind.

The ES and the Avalon are based off the same platform and to me and many others, the Avalon is nicer, rides better and is more luxurious.
Old 10-13-13, 10:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
to me and many others, the Avalon is nicer, rides better and is more luxurious.
Thanks for the laugh!
Old 10-13-13, 11:10 AM
jrlxr7
Driver School Candidate

Default ES vs. GS

Tom, you may want to check out the 2014 Honda Accord, the Sport version seems like an incredible bargain. Also, the upgrades since 2008 have been substantial. They may have even countered some of the road noise issues with their innovative noise cancellation technology. I saw the new Accord at the Honda dealer and was very impressed with build quality and innovation not to mention value. The top of the line V-6 Touring tops out at 32,000 or so MSRP and even has dynamic cruise control and nav!
Old 10-13-13, 12:37 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jrlxr7
. However, I believe the ES is the best selling Lexus. Either way, I am sure you will be happy.
Actually, the RX is the best selling Lexus model. The ES is the best selling Lexus sedan.
Old 10-13-13, 01:47 PM
jrlxr7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ECL
Actually, the RX is the best selling Lexus model. The ES is the best selling Lexus sedan.
Thank you for the clarification, ECL.
Old 10-13-13, 03:30 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The GS is the better car, it does cost a lot more so that should be kept in mind.

The ES and the Avalon are based off the same platform and to me and many others, the Avalon is nicer, rides better and is more luxurious.
Haven't read that anywhere? Do you have a source...other than your opinion? Perhaps you could be a bit more specific. I would be surprised if Toyota had a strategy of allowing the Avalon to be "nicer, ride better and be more luxurious"? I do plan on going and taking a fresh look at the Avalon...just for information purposes. Thanks Tom

Quick Reply: ES vs GS?