Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 and ES300h (2013+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Lexus Enform is Free

Old 09-05-13, 08:15 AM   #16
Mike728
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6152 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all these apps have to go thru a smartphone with usage charges? Such as Pandora and others? So if one doesn't have a smartphone they're SOL. Even if one does have a smartphone don't you have to have an unlimited data plan? I've not used one of these, but have used the others that one must pay to subscribe. Not a big deal for me...
No need for an unlimited data plan. I use Pandora all the time and never come close to even 1GB/mo. It's very "datanomical". I paid for a year of XM, but still go back to Pandora, due to the crappy over compressed sound of Sat Radio. Pandora sounds almost as good as CD, plus you get album art and it's customizable. Very happy that it's now free.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Mike728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 08:20 AM   #17
Mike728
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneor11 View Post
I'm just disappointed Enform is dependent upon the user possessing a particular phone platform. This dependency should be made way more transparent during the sales process. I favor the functionality of the Windows Phone 8 platform over that of Apple or Android, so that's what I own. But as a result I can't use one of the vehicles main entertainment/information features. That's unfortunate.
It will take years, at best, for a Windows phone to become mainstream enough to get the attention of auto manufactures. It's just to limited an audience right now.
Mike728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 11:58 AM   #18
atoyota
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike728 View Post
No need for an unlimited data plan. I use Pandora all the time and never come close to even 1GB/mo. It's very "datanomical". I paid for a year of XM, but still go back to Pandora, due to the crappy over compressed sound of Sat Radio. Pandora sounds almost as good as CD, plus you get album art and it's customizable. Very happy that it's now free.
Agreed. Especially about the compresses digital audio from Sat. There is this whole pages long discussion on this forum about folks' dissatisfaction with the Mark Levinson audio system and I've wondered if they are only using it to listen to Sat. I don't have the courage to jump in the middle of that thread though so I just watch it from the outside. There are a handful of XM/Sirius stations that are higher fidelity, some classical and a few others, but for the most part they are all seriously compressed and even a non-audiophile can tell.

Pandora sounds great. I do have the higher quality check box checked off on my phone app though so it may not sound as good if you don't have it checked.
atoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 12:04 PM   #19
atoyota
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneor11 View Post
I'm just disappointed Enform is dependent upon the user possessing a particular phone platform. This dependency should be made way more transparent during the sales process. I favor the functionality of the Windows Phone 8 platform over that of Apple or Android, so that's what I own. But as a result I can't use one of the vehicles main entertainment/information features. That's unfortunate.
My sales person asked me about what phone I have and pointed out that enform works with iPhones and certain Android phones and offered to check my phone's compatibility for me. He even configured it for me at delivery. I've been an Android fanboy for a long time and felt like you did for quite a while until Android got a large enough market share for app developers and manufacturers to develop to that platform. You still can't get as many accessories for Android as you can for iPhone and if Windows phone grows in market share I am sure you will see more for that platform.
Old 09-06-13, 07:22 AM   #20
LisaES350
Driver

This is great news! I use my apps ll the time.
Old 01-23-14, 09:43 AM   #21
atoyota
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoyota View Post
I just got my email as well. I agree with jrlxr7, Pandora is the best. No commercials for me either.
Commercials on Pandora in Enform seems to have started this week.
Old 01-24-14, 08:27 AM   #22
Canesguy
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoyota View Post
Commercials on Pandora in Enform seems to have started this week.
I never saw anywhere that Pandora on Enform would be commercial-less unless you have a paid subscription. Pandora is Pandora.

Currently......
2014 ES300h Premium: Matador Red/Parchment interior, Bamboo wood accents, Premium Audio, Nav., Intuitive Park Asst., Blind Spot Monitor, Wood steering wheel, Ceramic Window Tint
2013 CT200h Premium: Matador Red/Caramel Interior, Premium Audio, Nav., Body Side Moldings, Window Tint
Canesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 09:39 AM   #23
JDR76
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canesguy View Post
I never saw anywhere that Pandora on Enform would be commercial-less unless you have a paid subscription. Pandora is Pandora.
Advertising through the in-car app is new, and just started this month.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2rKodjdaF
Old 06-14-14, 11:29 AM   #24
Dedonut
Driver School Candidate

I got the same email last year saying Enform is now free. Yesterday, I got an email saying I need to renew by Aug. 2014 and the price is $264.90 a year. What's happened?
Dedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 12:03 PM   #25
lesz
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedonut View Post
I got the same email last year saying Enform is now free. Yesterday, I got an email saying I need to renew by Aug. 2014 and the price is $264.90 a year. What's happened?
What is now free is the ability to use the Enform apps. But you still need a paid subscription to be able to use the Safety Connect , Destination Assist, and eDestination services.
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 12:10 PM   #26
Dedonut
Driver School Candidate

That's a bundle for those features, especially since eDestination is the only one I use and hope to never use Safety Connect! Kind of misleading. Think I'll skip it.

Thanks for the quick reply, lesz.
Dedonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 02:16 PM   #27
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedonut View Post
That's a bundle for those features, especially since eDestination is the only one I use and hope to never use Safety Connect! Kind of misleading. Think I'll skip it.

Thanks for the quick reply, lesz.
I agree that you really have to use those features that are subscription based to justify the cost.

I renewed them on our 2010, but we used Destination Assist and eDestination all the time when travelling or planning trips. So for me they were beneficial, but still a bit pricey.
LexBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 03:14 PM   #28
lesz
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexBob2 View Post
I agree that you really have to use those features that are subscription based to justify the cost.

I renewed them on our 2010, but we used Destination Assist and eDestination all the time when travelling or planning trips. So for me they were beneficial, but still a bit pricey.
I find myself thinking hard and evaluating which subscriptions I want to buy. On the ES, if one were to buy the Enform subscription, the Sirius XM subscription, the subscriptions to XM traffic, XM weather, etc., he/she could easily be spending $500 per year on subscriptions. While, on one hand, I feel that, if the technology is in the vehicle, I am wasting it if I'm not buying the subscriptions required to use that technology, on the other hand, when I think about the very minimal amount of usage that I give to the various services, I find it hard to justify spending the money on that full array of subscriptions. During the year that I've owned the ES, I haven't used Safety Connect, Destination Assist, or eDestination a single time. I have absolutely no need for XM traffic, XM weather, etc. Even with the basic Sirius XM subscription, I find myself using it occasionally only because it is there and because I feel like I "should be" using it. I would not even consider the Sirius XM subscription at their normal price. So far, I've renewed it only because of the availability of their unadvertised $25 for 6 months subscription, but I use it so little that I probably won't even do that again when my current subscription expires in a couple of months.
lesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 01:34 PM   #29
Mhobizal
Rookie

The App Suite is very good. I've used Bing to find a location and then transfer over to the navigation system. Pandora is also wonderful with an occasional commercial.
Mhobizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 09:26 PM   #30
sderman
Rookie

Just checked the Lexus Enform site re: my new '14 ES350 and found that I cannot get Pandora via my Blackberry Bold 9930! Bummer!
sderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 09:26 PM