ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Thinking of buying 2016 vs 2019 new

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 08:59 AM
JOELATBOCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of buying 2016 vs 2019 new

Coming off lease in sept .i know the car...2016 base es..12k miles,garaged kept,pristine conditions residule price $23k. Anyone negotiate the residule price ?? ...vs buying new 2019 base left over ( sept ) deal i think about $36k . I usually keep a car 3 years drive 12k miles per year ....thanks for any thoughts...I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS OR YOUR OPINOIN.

Last edited by JOELATBOCA; 07-13-19 at 03:05 PM. Reason: NO COMMENTS
Old 07-13-19, 03:28 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm not sure I understand your question - are you looking to buy someone else's lease return with 12K miles or is it your own car? In either case, LFS is in the business of leasing cars not selling them. I don't think anyone can buy the lease return at anything other than the residual value on the original lease agreement. If it is your car, you could probably trade it in and get more than the residual but it seems you are trying to buy the car. I lease my cars and keep them in excellent condition and I repeatedly have family and friends saying they want to buy my car at the end of the lease, but it never works out - transfer fees, doc fees, sales tax etc.. Even the dealer which is among those saying they want my lease return never does it, he can simply go to the auction and buy mine or many other nice cars for less money.

My son has a GS that will soon be coming off lease and I suggested that if he is really serious, he could buy an inexpensive tracker and follow his car to auction and buy it there. GS's do not have very good resale and I would expect he could it at a pretty good price. Some auctions are only open to dealers but in my limited experience there are frequently individuals with dealer licenses at or outside the auction that will buy the car for you for a reasonable fee.

Dave Mac
Old 07-13-19, 03:37 PM
JOELATBOCA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dave mac
i'm not sure i understand your question - are you looking to buy someone else's lease return with 12k miles or is it your own car? In either case, lfs is in the business of leasing cars not selling them. I don't think anyone can buy the lease return at anything other than the residual value on the original lease agreement. If it is your car, you could probably trade it in and get more than the residual but it seems you are trying to buy the car. I lease my cars and keep them in excellent condition and i repeatedly have family and friends saying they want to buy my car at the end of the lease, but it never works out - transfer fees, doc fees, sales tax etc.. Even the dealer which is among those saying they want my lease return never does it, he can simply go to the auction and buy mine or many other nice cars for less money.

My son has a gs that will soon be coming off lease and i suggested that if he is really serious, he could buy an inexpensive tracker and follow his car to auction and buy it there. Gs's do not have very good resale and i would expect he could it at a pretty good price. Some auctions are only open to dealers but in my limited experience there are frequently individuals with dealer licenses at or outside the auction that will buy the car for you for a reasonable fee.

Dave mac
thanks for your reply....yes..it is a close friends lease that i want to buy perfect condition, very low mileage.not sure if it is a good dollar decision for me to buy at the residuel or just buy a new 2019 new left over ?
Old 07-13-19, 03:59 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Always worth looking into, but I think you will find it to be just too much money. The residual is not negotiable.

Dave Mac
Old 08-01-19, 04:45 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts

I just went through the same thing. 2016 vs. 2019. I chose the 2016 due to my use for it, which is commuting and having to park in areas that I would be too nervous to park a brand new one. If it were not for that, I would have chosen the 2019.

I drive a lot and the Lexus Certified warrantee gives me unlimited miles.
Old 08-04-19, 04:21 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at a 2016 lux package vs a 2016 GS lux package, I bought my current ES new, which I plan to keep, I was initially moving toward the GS but after looking more closely at the ES, especially the lux package, it's a good deal, because you get a ton of standard options, plus Lexus/certified helps too. The design is just as good IMO as the 2019, except for the interior which looks similar to the LS.
Old 08-05-19, 07:37 PM
gasava
Driver School Candidate

Have you looked into taking over a lease. Then you'd be able to keep the car paying the residual. However, whenever I ran the numbers even on the shortest term (6 months), the overall price ended up being close to a second hand car (non-certified)