ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why ES 350 over ES 300h?

Old 09-13-13, 12:37 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by oneor11
I find it interesting that the reviewer mentioned that it is difficult to detect differences in the drive mode on an ES350. The difference between ECO and SPORT is like night and day to me. The steering stiffness and acceleration are markedly different between the two sides of the spectrum. I have to say that this is one of the only cars I've driven where the drive mode selector actually made a noticeable difference.
The mode selector only affects the shift points. It does nothing to the ride of the vehicle.
Old 09-13-13, 04:16 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
The mode selector only affects the shift points. It does nothing to the ride of the vehicle.
The mode selecter also affects the throttle sensitivity
Old 09-13-13, 06:33 PM
oneor11
Driver School Candidate

I don't think this is wholly accurate. The Sport mode also affects the throttle responsiveness and does increase the "stiffness"/sharpness of the steering wheel. To test, drive in normal or eco mode and turn. You can turn the wheel with just a finger. Then put it in sport mode and make the same turn. You're going to need to grab the wheel to turn. There's definitely a marked difference in steering when in sport mode. It's not as floaty. The owner's manual is sprinkled with what Sport mode does, but mostly it just addresses the throttle response. But the steering stiffness is there, and googling it will return many reviews that also address it.

Jacob

EDIT: Page 46: Sport mode
Assists acceleration response by controlling the steering and transmission. Suitable for
when precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.

Last edited by oneor11; 09-13-13 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-14-13, 06:13 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oneor11
I don't think this is wholly accurate. The Sport mode also affects the throttle responsiveness and does increase the "stiffness"/sharpness of the steering wheel. To test, drive in normal or eco mode and turn. You can turn the wheel with just a finger. Then put it in sport mode and make the same turn. You're going to need to grab the wheel to turn. There's definitely a marked difference in steering when in sport mode. It's not as floaty. The owner's manual is sprinkled with what Sport mode does, but mostly it just addresses the throttle response. But the steering stiffness is there, and googling it will return many reviews that also address it.

Jacob

EDIT: Page 46: Sport mode
Assists acceleration response by controlling the steering and transmission. Suitable for
when precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.
Just looked it up. You left out the part about it only applying to the hybrid version, which I didn't know, since I have a 350.
From page 296:
Sport mode
Assists acceleration response by controlling the steering and transmission <hybrid system>. Suitable for when precise handling is desirable,
for example when driving on mountain roads.
When not in Sport mode and the driving mode select switch is turned to the right,
the “SPORT” indicator comes on in the multi-information display.
Old 09-14-13, 07:11 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Just looked it up. You left out the part about it only applying to the hybrid version, which I didn't know, since I have a 350.
From page 296 [/I]
Now I found the manual for just the 350 (HERE)

It states the same as oneor referenced (pg 46). The tech guy at the dealer told me that only the trans was affected by the switch, so I took that as the gospel. I also use Sport mode a lot, and have never felt any difference in steering feel. I bet I will now, though.
Old 09-16-13, 07:59 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mike728, what type of MPG do you get using Sport mode a lot?
Old 09-16-13, 08:47 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jonmanch
Mike728, what type of MPG do you get using Sport mode a lot?
I'm averaging between 25 and 26 MPG's. I calculate it after each fill-up, since I don't trust the computer. That said, the computer has been surprisingly accurate. Hasn't been more than 1 MPG off thus far. Currently at 7K miles total on the ES.
Old 09-16-13, 09:08 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 09-16-13, 09:13 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I'm averaging between 25 and 26 MPG's. I calculate it after each fill-up, since I don't trust the computer. That said, the computer has been surprisingly accurate. Hasn't been more than 1 MPG off thus far. Currently at 7K miles total on the ES.
I agree. The vehicle's computer seems to be more accurate with regard to mpg than the computers of other vehicles that I've owned with similar computers. With my ES350, actual mpg determined by dividing miles traveled by gallons of gas at each fill up is almost always within one mpg of what the computer says in the "mpg after refueling" mode. In my case, the actual mpg is usually about 1 mpg higher than what the computer indicates.
Old 09-16-13, 09:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When CR magazine road tested the ES350 they got 25 mpg overall so you're right at that.
Old 02-21-14, 05:32 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

The 300h's spoiler is to reduce drag and thus improve MPG. You are used to thinking of them as downforce generators to press down the RWD racecars drive wheels... The little fin near the rear view mirrors apparently also contributes way more than you might expect.

How often do we actually go "from 0 mph to and through 60...at full throttle?" If you answer frequently then by all means buy/lease the 350...or the LFA! I find the roll on power entirely pleasing with a hybrid and won't ever go back to sittin' still with an idling motor again.

I also am underwhelmed by the stock 300h's wheels and the lack of reasonably priced alternatives from Lexus
The 350 Ultra Luxury includes the "18's in the package, perhaps Lexus ought to offer a cosmetically different "17 style (Efficient Luxury?) that would not impact the MPG rating and ride characteristics.
Old 03-03-14, 07:59 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

The Sport setting on the 300h changes the voltage delivered by the inverter from 500v DC to 650v.

I also like the multiple results available when "downshifting", way better than the single "B" function
on my former HS250h (and Prii also). It simulates gear ranges and reduces speed smoothly.
Old 03-03-14, 01:52 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
The Sport setting on the 300h changes the voltage delivered by the inverter from 500v DC to 650v.
What does this do? More torque from the electric motor for a quicker accelteration? Or more re-charging to the traction batteries?
Old 03-04-14, 11:03 AM
jonmanch
Driver

More Torque
Old 03-04-14, 02:58 PM
mjmj911
Driver School Candidate

I chose the ES350 for two main reasons:

1)Glass roof/Ultra Luxury option

2)Base price difference:
I would rather 3k less for the non hybrid and put that money towards gas. If you do the math; 40 MPG vs 24 MPG @ $4gal for 100k miles, its pretty much a wash between the two.

ES350 @ 100k Mi.------------> $16.6k in fuel @ $4gal
ES300H @ 100k Mi. ---------> $10k in fuel @ 4$gal

fuel price difference ($6.6k) - Base Price difference ($3k) = $3.3K over ten years or ~$27.50 month

If you factor in financing interest, inflation, etc. the difference could go either way but that was what made my decision, pretty much the same cost over the life of the car.

The one thing I do like about the hybrid is the range, but thats it.

A big factor for me is being able to work on the car myself. I can perform any repair needed on a non hybrid vehicle. I'm not comfortable with touching a hybrid system yet which would put me in the position of taking it to a facility and paying labor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why ES 350 over ES 300h?