ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Software change suggestion for backup cam --- for safety

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 11:19 PM
Brillo258
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Software change suggestion for backup cam --- for safety

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I really think Lexus should consider making a software change in the NAV unit for the backup camera. Right now, the upper portion of the screen, when the vehicle is initially started and put into Reverse and showing the view from the backup camera, will get blocked by drop-down informational messages about bluetooth device connectivity or climate control settings (if you hit the AUTO button for A/C right after starting the car). The bad thing about this is that these messages completely block out the top section of the backup image that actually shows cars or people behind you. The majority of the screen still shows the ground immediately behind the car, but its this small section at the top of the screen that gives you the wider view of what's further away from the car.

I think Lexus should change the software so that all informational messages are delayed until the vehicle is out of Reverse. This leaves the full amount of screen showing the view out the back of the vehicle.

I know ... there should be no substitute for actually turning around and looking out the back window when backing up. But you have to be honest - that backup camera is becoming a crutch for a lot of us.
Old 08-13-13, 04:14 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brillo258
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I really think Lexus should consider making a software change in the NAV unit for the backup camera. Right now, the upper portion of the screen, when the vehicle is initially started and put into Reverse and showing the view from the backup camera, will get blocked by drop-down informational messages about bluetooth device connectivity or climate control settings (if you hit the AUTO button for A/C right after starting the car). The bad thing about this is that these messages completely block out the top section of the backup image that actually shows cars or people behind you. The majority of the screen still shows the ground immediately behind the car, but its this small section at the top of the screen that gives you the wider view of what's further away from the car.

I think Lexus should change the software so that all informational messages are delayed until the vehicle is out of Reverse. This leaves the full amount of screen showing the view out the back of the vehicle.

I know ... there should be no substitute for actually turning around and looking out the back window when backing up. But you have to be honest - that backup camera is becoming a crutch for a lot of us.
I cannot agree more.
Old 08-13-13, 05:11 AM
txes
Lead Lap

How about waiting those extra couple of seconds until you know the routine is finished?

John
Old 08-13-13, 09:20 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Brillo258

I agree, that has also been a concern of mine. I back into my garage and turn the radio off to be sure to hear if anything is going wrong. I wait until the display clears and then back up, but that should not be, the screen should only show the camera..
Old 08-13-13, 09:51 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Very annoying
Old 08-13-13, 11:55 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

What's more annoying... Start the car, shift the car into reverse, hit radio or media or any button that changes the screen, the camera doesn't come back automatically.
Old 08-13-13, 12:11 PM
susm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
What's more annoying... Start the car, shift the car into reverse, hit radio or media or any button that changes the screen, the camera doesn't come back automatically.
I'm surprised it even let's you change it. Every car I have had so far with a reverse camera locks out everything on screen while the car is in reverse.
Old 08-13-13, 02:03 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

And even if you tried not to push any button before you back up, You still get the Bluetooth connectivity, and the phone transfer data messages. very annoying.
Old 08-14-13, 04:57 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 'setup' takes all of 15 seconds to complete. It is probably a good idea to let the car run for 15 seconds before driving off anyway.
Old 08-15-13, 05:39 PM
Tuanle
Driver School Candidate

Annoying indeed. There's no need to nag at me that my phone connected every time I turn on the car. That connection successful message appearing once during pairing is good enough. I wish I can hack it.

Should we send in a message to Lexus to suggest an upgrade to the software? Do you think Lexus would do anything about it?
Old 08-15-13, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

On the GS you can change a setting so that those setup updates don't come on the top of the screen when the backup camera is on. I agree its an issue, I found myself ducking down instinctively to look below those messages LOL
Old 08-22-13, 03:08 PM
montyf
10th Gear

Is there any way to mute the audio when the car is in reverse and backup camera is on?
Old 08-23-13, 08:34 AM
mistaediee
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
On the GS you can change a setting so that those setup updates don't come on the top of the screen when the backup camera is on. I agree its an issue, I found myself ducking down instinctively to look below those messages LOL
There's a setting in the ES that turns off bluetooth and phone status. That was what kept coming up for me, at least. I turned those off and now, so long as I don't touch anything, I don't get any messages popping up when I start my car.
Old 08-24-13, 10:39 AM
Tuanle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mistaediee. I looked around, but didn't dig deep enough.
You can actually turn off the displays in: menu, setting, phone, phone display settings and bluetooth, bluetooth detailed settings
Old 08-27-13, 11:17 PM
jbm79
Driver

Originally Posted by Tuanle
Thanks mistaediee. I looked around, but didn't dig deep enough.
You can actually turn off the displays in: menu, setting, phone, phone display settings and bluetooth, bluetooth detailed settings
I did all that, but there is still one pop-up that says "Transfer done". I guess this is for the BT playlist/audio from my iPhone. One pop-up is better than the usual 3 or 4 before altering the settings as described above.