ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Installed Interior Led's

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 06:31 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Installed Interior Led's

So I took the time to install some LED's in my fathers car as the interior has a whole lot of 194 wedges everywhere. They look brighter than they are and for 10 of them it was only $9, pretty good and quality wasn't bad at all from Amazon.
Installed Interior Led's-photo-1.jpg

Installed Interior Led's-photo-2.jpg

Installed Interior Led's-photo-3.jpg

Installed Interior Led's-photo-4.jpg
Old 08-09-13, 06:39 PM
Artistik D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the bulb size homie now i wont have to go test fit random bulbs lol
Old 08-20-13, 04:07 PM
hpdnjc
Driver School Candidate

Default Who on Amazon did you get your lights from?

Hello BigBlack06,

Can you advise who had those interior LED lights on Amazon?

Thanks
Old 08-20-13, 04:33 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So I took the time to install some LED's in my fathers car as the interior has a whole lot of 194 wedges everywhere. They look brighter than they are and for 10 of them it was only $9, pretty good and quality wasn't bad at all from Amazon.
Looks nice, do they dim normally?
Old 08-20-13, 05:24 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by hpdnjc
Hello BigBlack06,

Can you advise who had those interior LED lights on Amazon?

Thanks
here is the one I purchased make sure its this one AGT.
Amazon.com: AGT 10x 194 168 2825 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: AGT 10x 194 168 2825 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb: Automotive

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Looks nice, do they dim normally?
Yes they do no problems and they look 10X better than the other ones I ordered.
Old 08-20-13, 10:17 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, just ordered a pack... Were you able to replace the puddle lamps as well?
Old 08-21-13, 06:22 AM
bigblack06

Thanks for the info, just ordered a pack... Were you able to replace the puddle lamps as well?
Yes I was with the same 194.
Old 08-25-13, 06:53 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Thanks for the idea and the product info bigblack06, I just completed the LED replacement without breaking anything off. =) Used an old credit card to very cautiously pop out the diffusers (a screwdriver is never a good idea when working with car interiors)

There were a total of 13 bulbs replaced. A good thing to note is since there are only leads on one side of the LED wedge bulbs, they only work when oriented one way and are not reversible. Check that the light comes on before re-assembling the housings.

4 - door courtesy lights
2 - vanity mirror lights
3 - front overhead console
3 - rear overhead console
1 - trunk compartment

The only thing left to replace would be the puddle lamp bulbs, but I don't feel like taking that on (at least at the moment)

The LEDs from the link posted above worked perfectly. Easy plug-in replacement and the light is a crisp bright white. Definitely nicer than the factory bulbs. Lexus should have used these from the factory. No error codes, dims and fades as normal, and doesn't get hot to the touch like the original bulbs.
Old 08-25-13, 07:32 PM
smj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the details,much appreciated!
Old 08-25-13, 09:19 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the idea and the product info bigblack06, I just completed the LED replacement without breaking anything off. =) Used an old credit card to very cautiously pop out the diffusers (a screwdriver is never a good idea when working with car interiors)

There were a total of 13 bulbs replaced. A good thing to note is since there are only leads on one side of the LED wedge bulbs, they only work when oriented one way and are not reversible. Check that the light comes on before re-assembling the housings.

4 - door courtesy lights
2 - vanity mirror lights
3 - front overhead console
3 - rear overhead console
1 - trunk compartment

The only thing left to replace would be the puddle lamp bulbs, but I don't feel like taking that on (at least at the moment)

The LEDs from the link posted above worked perfectly. Easy plug-in replacement and the light is a crisp bright white. Definitely nicer than the factory bulbs. Lexus should have used these from the factory. No error codes, dims and fades as normal, and doesn't get hot to the touch like the original bulbs.
Thanks amphiprIOn. Nice info, especially since I'm inclined to break things and the cc may work for me too. I may try to attempt this change if its much better than the OEM. Is it worth it, and how long did it take you to change out the 13 lamps? No rear license plate and are the puddle lamps difficult to change out?
Old 08-26-13, 06:28 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Thanks amphiprIOn. Nice info, especially since I'm inclined to break things and the cc may work for me too. I may try to attempt this change if its much better than the OEM. Is it worth it, and how long did it take you to change out the 13 lamps? No rear license plate and are the puddle lamps difficult to change out?
I did them all too Art. Takes about 15 minutes. The tricky part is that you think that you're going to break the lens by prying it out, but if you're careful you won't. There is a video on youtube that shows how to change the mirror lights by removing the mirror that is held by clips inside. One thing, I only saw one courtesy light per door - not two ? Otherwise all bulbs changed and it really looks nice. Total of 11 bulbs. I'm fortunate enough to have a trim removal tool that I used.
Probably a plastic picnic knife would work perfectly as well.
Old 08-26-13, 07:35 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Is it worth it, and how long did it take you to change out the 13 lamps? No rear license plate and are the puddle lamps difficult to change out?
It took me about half an hour, but I could definitely do them in under 15m now that I know which side and where to pry on the light covers. Alternatively instead of a credit card you could get a pry tool from your local auto store or amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Dash-Removal-Plastic-Yellow/dp/B0057DHMFG http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Dash-Removal-Plastic-Yellow/dp/B0057DHMFG

The license plate came stock with an extremely bright white light, (don't know if it's LED or not) so I didn't change that out. Also, I did see a video of someone replacing the puddle lamp bulbs, and it looks a little scary in a couple of spots. Not sure if it's worth it to DIY the bulbs with the hassle of replacing motorized, heated, auto dimming side mirrors if something goes wrong.

Originally Posted by bc6152
The tricky part is that you think that you're going to break the lens by prying it out, but if you're careful you won't. One thing, I only saw one courtesy light per door - not two ?Total of 11 bulbs. I'm fortunate enough to have a trim removal tool that I used.
Probably a plastic picnic knife would work perfectly as well.
Yes, there is only one courtesy light per door for a total of 4. I'm guessing maybe you didn't replace the vanity light (the light that comes on when you slide the sun visor mirror open) ?
Old 08-26-13, 08:17 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

It took me about half an hour, but I could definitely do them in under 15m now that I know which side and where to pry on the light covers. Alternatively instead of a credit card you could get a pry tool from your local auto store or amazon http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Dash-Rem.../dp/B0057DHMFG

The license plate came stock with an extremely bright white light, (don't know if it's LED or not) so I didn't change that out. Also, I did see a video of someone replacing the puddle lamp bulbs, and it looks a little scary in a couple of spots. Not sure if it's worth it to DIY the bulbs with the hassle of replacing motorized, heated, auto dimming side mirrors if something goes wrong.

Yes, there is only one courtesy light per door for a total of 4. I'm guessing maybe you didn't replace the vanity light (the light that comes on when you slide the sun visor mirror open) ?
Yikes! I forgot the rear doors! There's the other two LED's... Did the vanity lights. Thanks Amp.
Old 08-26-13, 11:06 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Bill and Amp.

Sounds pretty easy, but Murphy knows me all too well. Easy is one thing, but doing it right is another. In my case, what can go wrong, will go wrong. Those trim removal tools look pretty imposing. I've broken my share of clips and torn a few panels when I didn't know better years ago. A plastic knife or CC may do better, but I'll to a test run today to see how tough they're to remove before I order the LEDs. They do look sharp, and as long as they dim too, than that's pretty cool.
Old 08-26-13, 12:06 PM
bigblack06

Thanks Bill and Amp.

Sounds pretty easy, but Murphy knows me all too well. Easy is one thing, but doing it right is another. In my case, what can go wrong, will go wrong. Those trim removal tools look pretty imposing. I've broken my share of clips and torn a few panels when I didn't know better years ago. A plastic knife or CC may do better, but I'll to a test run today to see how tough they're to remove before I order the LEDs. They do look sharp, and as long as they dim too, than that's pretty cool.
Just use a flat head computer one ( really small one) it works just fine and will not break anything. It's mostly prying them off so really easy.

Quick Reply: Installed Interior Led's