ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How can I lock my smart key in my car? (beach)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-14, 11:04 AM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just so happen and made me curious. I tried leaving the key inside the trunk and close the lid. When I tried opening it thinking if it would open or not. We'll guess what, it WON'T open.

Open the trunk again from the drivers trunk release button and played around with it as to why it won't open. With the truck open, I place the smart key in front (by the license plate) and press the trunk release and the hatch activates the trunk release motor. Placing the smart key behind the license plate, the smart key led lights blinks, meaning it acknowledge it but it is behind or inside.

What I didn't test is, having the smart key inside the trunk and tried to lock the car. I'm guessing it will not lock because it doesn't sense the key next to the door. I will try testing this later to see also if I can force the lock from the inside.

Why would the trunk allows you to lock the smart key from the inside. What is Lexus logic for this? What if you turn on the trunk disable button in the glove compartment and left the smart key inside the trunk and then you suddenly left the bag or purse in the truck and close it.
Old 08-25-14, 05:01 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Page 129 of the Owner's Manual, Electronic Key Battery-Saving Function. Press unlock twice while holding the lock button. Confirm fob shut down by observing four (4) flashes from the fob.

Now you can slip the mechanical key out of the fob, leave the fob (out of sight) in the car and carry the small key. When you return just let yourself into the car with the mechanical key, press any button on the fob to wake it up and you're off!
The manual goes on to say that when this function is set "battery depletion is minimized by stopping the electronic key from receiving radio waves". But I wonder if there a distance beyond which this is unnecessary? The manual suggests/implies it might be about 6 feet but I'm wondering if say at 20 or 30 feet would the battery(ies) still experience some depletion? In other words, is the electronic key always hunting for a signal no matter how far it is from the car?
Old 08-27-14, 05:25 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently my wife popped her trunk, got out the car, locked it with the key fob, reached into the trunk for something and at the same time she was closing the trunk, the key fob fell in...needless to say, I had to go and get her, lucky it was only 20 miles....so, I would think locking your car than throwing it in the trunk will get done what you're looking for, minus the metal key of course.
Old 08-27-14, 06:43 PM
jkaloz
Driver School Candidate

Have you tried to take the battery out of it?
Old 10-15-17, 12:41 PM
surftwin
Driver School Candidate

Default RFID surf key bag

FINALLY! I can lock my smart car key fob in the car while I surf. The below nifty little thing is a must for anyone who needs to lock their smart key fob/push to start key!!
https://www.aasurflife.com/product/r...-blocking-bag/

-Simply remove the mechanical key from key fob to bring with you
-Place key fob in the inner gold lining RFID layer of bag
-Leave RFID bag in the locked car, and go surf!
Your vehicle cannot detect the key fob, so it will allow your vehicle to lock!
Old 10-15-17, 03:16 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by surftwin
FINALLY! I can lock my smart car key fob in the car while I surf. The below nifty little thing is a must for anyone who needs to lock their smart key fob/push to start key!!
https://www.aasurflife.com/product/r...-blocking-bag/

-Simply remove the mechanical key from key fob to bring with you
-Place key fob in the inner gold lining RFID layer of bag
-Leave RFID bag in the locked car, and go surf!
Your vehicle cannot detect the key fob, so it will allow your vehicle to lock!
Why don't you just deactivate the key (hold lock and press unlock twice and wait for the light to flash 4x) and lock the fob in the glovebox, lock cat with metal key, and take the metal key with you?
Old 10-15-17, 04:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Why don't you just deactivate the key (hold lock and press unlock twice and wait for the light to flash 4x) and lock the fob in the glovebox, lock cat with metal key, and take the metal key with you?
I was thinking the same thing. Why introduce another piece of equipment when just deactivating the fob will accomplish the same thing?
Old 10-16-17, 04:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
It looks like he's advertising it here. First and only post.
Old 10-16-17, 10:01 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts
Default Lexus Keyfobs, new and old

Would be useful for the former style keyfob that did not have the deactivation feature.
The current fob has square corners and buttons all in a row, the first generation was
a bit rounder and the buttons for trunk release and panic were offset.
Attached Thumbnails How can I lock my smart key in my car?  (beach)-key-fobs-new-and-old.png  
Old 06-25-19, 01:51 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I was thinking the same thing. Why introduce another piece of equipment when just deactivating the fob will accomplish the same thing?
Agreed, Also, keeping the key in a Faraday Cage, or, similarly, wrapped in Foil, in a Copper or Steel, or Unobtanium cylinder, the circuitry will keep trying to send & hear a signal from the car. Net result: Battery Drain.
Old 06-26-19, 06:14 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

This thread is 5 years old...
Old 07-05-19, 02:23 PM
lawonga
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can the mechanical key be taken into the water? Going to the waterpark this weekend and I'd like to just lock the fob in the car and take only the mechanical key with me.
Old 12-21-19, 08:09 AM
DOsepchook
Driver School Candidate

Use the "Electric Key Battery-saving function" to stop the key from receiving or transmitting radio waves. This will allow you to "hide" the key outside of the cabin. When you get back, retrieve the fob and push any button to activate the fob. From the owner's manual "Push the unlock button twice while holding the lock button. Confirm that the electronic key indicator flashes 4 times."
Try this with your car and confirm it works at your home before you try it in a remote location. At the location, set your fob, hide it and then test the doors to confirm that they are locked.
This works on my 2018 ES 350.
Also this will prevent theft from your driveway by the latest frequency scanning devices theft rings are using.
Old 01-28-21, 03:34 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

--
I couldn't make the button push method work on my 2015 IS350c. Maybe only the ES?
--
Old 01-30-21, 06:25 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Which key fob style does your '15 IS Convertible have? The older rounded style with the
four (4) buttons offset does not have the deactivation cadence.

Quick Reply: How can I lock my smart key in my car? (beach)