ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Synthetic oil

Old 04-26-14, 01:50 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by atoyota
All the specs in the manual says is that a higher viscosity may be called for in cases of higher speeds or heavy loads. I still plan on asking the dealer about our local conditions. Summer here in stop and go traffic is brutal. I do know that the Toyota dealership used 5-30 dino in my 2007 Camry Hybrid and it is essentially the same engine.
Today I spoke to 2 Lexus service managers at Lexus of Route 10 (Whippany NJ) who both said very plainly that use of another weight oil would void the warranty. And the (current) owners manual for the '14 I picked up today says on page 838: "SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather...if not available SAE 5W-20 may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change"
Old 04-26-14, 01:51 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, oil selection is one of those things that's best left to guys that designed the engine. There is a reason they selected thinner oil for these newer cars. I'd suspect tighter engine tolerances, which means running thicker oil in the winter might cause premature engine wear, due to inability for that thicker oil to flow into smaller cavities as easily.
Old 04-26-14, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree. You can't go wrong by just following the mfgrs recommendation.
Old 04-26-14, 05:39 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Actually, I think the company line on voiding the warranty is only a legal issue. I am convinced that a 5-30 would be perfectly OK (and in fact better for the engine) to use in the continental US...and especially in the more southern states. Who really thinks we need a 0 weight oil to help starting a car in Texas? I think we can all agree that the car's EPA mileage rating is based in part by using the thinner oil. So, should Lexus suggest or agree that a 5-30 or even a 5-20 is OK to use would probably implicate them in a bit of a ruse to push up the EPA numbers. I still remember using 20-50 oil in my Sunbeam Alpine, plus an occasional can of STP.. Talk about thick oils! If I lived further South I would certainly use a 5-30 - and in the rare event of a warranty issue I would refill with a 0-20 before bringing in the car. Most engine wear occurs in the first few minutes after start-up. I am pretty certain that a 5-30 oil would have a thicker film on cold start-up that a 0-20. My 2 cents.
Old 04-26-14, 07:55 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Actually, I think the company line on voiding the warranty is only a legal issue. I am convinced that a 5-30 would be perfectly OK (and in fact better for the engine) to use in the continental US...and especially in the more southern states. Who really thinks we need a 0 weight oil to help starting a car in Texas? I think we can all agree that the car's EPA mileage rating is based in part by using the thinner oil. So, should Lexus suggest or agree that a 5-30 or even a 5-20 is OK to use would probably implicate them in a bit of a ruse to push up the EPA numbers. I still remember using 20-50 oil in my Sunbeam Alpine, plus an occasional can of STP.. Talk about thick oils! If I lived further South I would certainly use a 5-30 - and in the rare event of a warranty issue I would refill with a 0-20 before bringing in the car. Most engine wear occurs in the first few minutes after start-up. I am pretty certain that a 5-30 oil would have a thicker film on cold start-up that a 0-20. My 2 cents.
Your the reason people hate to buy used cars
Old 04-28-14, 12:35 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yes and with 0w20 synthetic oil manufactured by Exxon/Mobil to Toyota specs.
It's not the same formula as Mobil 1 but Mobil 1 can be used.
so are they saying the "toyota" oil provides better protection than the Mobil 1 synthetic you can buy at walmart or any auto parts store?

Poppa
Old 04-28-14, 06:20 AM
AFRetired
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use MobileOne if you're doing your own oil change. (or any other reputable synthetic of correct weight if it's cheaper)

Summary of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

"Consumer purchasers of such components such as automotive oil and filters are sometimes told by dealer's service writer or mechanics that a brand replacement part/product can not be used in the consumer's vehicle during the warranty period. The claim is made, that use of the brand will "void the warranty" with the statement of implication that only the original equipment brand may be used. This of course tends to cast doubt on the quality of the replacement part/product.

That claim is simply not true. If the consumer asks for the statement in writing, he will not receive it. Nevertheless, the consumer may feel uneasy about using replacement parts/products that are not original equipment. With the large number of do-it-yourselfers who may prefer to purchase a different brand of part/product, this misleading claim should be corrected.

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

So if the consumer is told that only the original brand of part/product will not void the warranty, he should request that the OE part/product be supplied free of charge. If he is charged for the part/product, the manufacturer will be violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or other applicable law."
Old 04-28-14, 06:57 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
so are they saying the "toyota" oil provides better protection than the Mobil 1 synthetic you can buy at walmart or any auto parts store?

Poppa
Yes, designed by Mobil to Toyota spec's. But Mobil 1 0w20 won't hurt anything.
Old 04-29-14, 09:08 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Your the reason people hate to buy used cars
Exactly why I have second thoughts about buying used cars.