ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 01:31 AM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?

I have been searching the web and can't seem to find any information on replacing the turn signal halogens with LEDs on the 2013 ES350. Is there a hyper-flash issue? The Lexus LED Flasher Turn Signal Relay (81980-50030) doesn't appear to be compatible with the 2013 model. I don't really want to go the resistor route, am I missing something? I would like to install VLEDs Platinum 21 Amber(Front) and Red(Rear).
Old 07-11-13, 06:07 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah I'm getting these, they require no cutting or splitting. This is all plug and play.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/7440-LED-Hy...9.htm?CartID=1
Old 07-11-13, 06:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yeah I'm getting these, they require no cutting or splitting. This is all plug and play.
Please educate me and inform what benefit this change will make in turn signal operation. Also, are the harnesses you link to for the front and rear? What bulb is used for this? The company bulb chart only shows up to 2012 - no 2013 ES350.

Thanks, BC

Last edited by bc6152; 07-11-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 01:52 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link, unfortunately out of stock. Any alternate source for the same Plug & Play type harness?
Old 07-11-13, 08:26 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

right, why do this?

led = brighter bulbs?

can you school me on this setup, pls?
Old 07-11-13, 10:05 PM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

One of my concerns about using a Load Resistor is heat and the other was tapping the factory wire harness. This in-line Resistor solves the issue of wire tapping but I understand some can get very hot. My understanding is that the Flasher Relay would eliminate the need for Load Resistors by matching the lower resistances of the LEDs. I understand that the factory relay can be modified as well to achieve the same result by shaving the resistance load inside the factory relay. I can't seem to find the Flasher Relay in the 2013 ES350. Did Lexus change the way the turn signals work? I also recall that the speed of the turn signal can be customized, so this maybe computer controlled and I may not have any other choice but the load resistors.

iJDMToy also sells this replace relay that I'm referring to.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/12V-Electro..._fix_sku85.htm
Old 07-12-13, 08:07 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by bc6152
Please educate me and inform what benefit this change will make in turn signal operation. Also, are the harnesses you link to for the front and rear? What bulb is used for this? The company bulb chart only shows up to 2012 - no 2013 ES350.

Thanks, BC
I believe it is 7440 you should be able to take the bulb out and look at it. Exactly what mr.bill said as the reason they are good. LED=brighter bulbs.

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Thanks for the link, unfortunately out of stock. Any alternate source for the same Plug & Play type harness?
Not really those are the best choice for plug and play without cutting into the wires.

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
right, why do this?

led = brighter bulbs?

can you school me on this setup, pls?
Pretty simple just pull out the old bulb and replace with the plug n play and an LED bulb should be any problems.

Originally Posted by Lexusrhyno
One of my concerns about using a Load Resistor is heat and the other was tapping the factory wire harness. This in-line Resistor solves the issue of wire tapping but I understand some can get very hot. My understanding is that the Flasher Relay would eliminate the need for Load Resistors by matching the lower resistances of the LEDs. I understand that the factory relay can be modified as well to achieve the same result by shaving the resistance load inside the factory relay. I can't seem to find the Flasher Relay in the 2013 ES350. Did Lexus change the way the turn signals work? I also recall that the speed of the turn signal can be customized, so this maybe computer controlled and I may not have any other choice but the load resistors.

iJDMToy also sells this replace relay that I'm referring to.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/12V-Electro..._fix_sku85.htm
Yes this is better all you need to get is an LED with ways to dissipate the heat usually the aluminum designed ones.
Old 07-12-13, 10:14 PM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

V-LEDS pre-sales support confirmed my suspicions that the 2013 ES350 doesn't have separate turn signal flasher assembly. The turn signal flasher is computer controlled, load resistors appear to be the best option. I decided to go with the V3 Triton LED System for the front and rear turn signal, because the controller modules have the resistor built-in and they are brighter than the Platinum 21 models. I know they are extremely expensive but if I have to purchase Load Resistors anyway, I decided to go with these. I have emailed V-LEDS twice already and they response promptly each time. I feel comfortable purchasing from them, and these have a lifetime warranty. Their customer service has won me over as well as TRS - Theretrofitsource, where I purchased my Morimoto's HID H11 Elite Systems.
Old 07-14-13, 03:34 PM
bigblack06

Update they will be posting up a new one soon as they have purchased a revised plug n play. These will be fine as load resistors and the fast blinking will not happen with these because there is a module.
Old 07-14-13, 03:49 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Videos after install please
Old 07-22-13, 03:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

V-LEDS pre-sales support confirmed my suspicions that the 2013 ES350 doesn't have separate turn signal flasher assembly. The turn signal flasher is computer controlled, load resistors appear to be the best option. I decided to go with the V3 Triton LED System for the front and rear turn signal, because the controller modules have the resistor built-in and they are brighter than the Platinum 21 models. I know they are extremely expensive but if I have to purchase Load Resistors anyway, I decided to go with these. I have emailed V-LEDS twice already and they response promptly each time. I feel comfortable purchasing from them, and these have a lifetime warranty. Their customer service has won me over as well as TRS - Theretrofitsource, where I purchased my Morimoto's HID H11 Elite Systems.
Based on some of the information in this thread I've decided to go with the V3 Triton LED's. According to VLED customer service department, all that is necessary is to determine which adapter is required for the tail and front turn signals. Plug it in, attach the LED and you are finished. Sounds too easy... Does anyone know - without getting the 3 pound manual out - what bulbs are used in the tail and headlights?

Last edited by bc6152; 07-22-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-22-13, 04:24 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Old 07-22-13, 04:39 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Yowsa! That was fast and I thank you for the info.
Old 07-22-13, 09:49 PM
Lexusrhyno
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Based on some of the information in this thread I've decided to go with the V3 Triton LED's. According to VLED customer service department, all that is necessary is to determine which adapter is required for the tail and front turn signals. Plug it in, attach the LED and you are finished. Sounds too easy... Does anyone know - without getting the 3 pound manual out - what bulbs are used in the tail and headlights?
I purchased the "7443 - 7440 Amber V3 Triton w/ the Standard Base Adapter" for the front and "7443 - 7440 Red V3 Triton w/ the Standard Base Adapter" for the rear. I installed the rear bulbs and since these are not DRL, heat is not an issue. My earlier concerns about heat don't appear warranted. I have yet to install the front signals, but looking under the hood makes me now concern about space. There isn't a lot of space to fit these rather large V3 LEDs. There appear to be enough space but it maybe very difficult actually to install though. I will attempt to install them this weekend, but I think I have to go through the wheel well.
Attached Thumbnails Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?-turnsignalreplacement.png  
Old 07-22-13, 09:54 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

There isn't a lot of space to fit these rather large V3 LEDs. There appear to be enough space but it maybe very difficult actually to install though. I will attempt to install them this weekend, but I think I have to go through the wheel well.
I was just looking at that illustration today. Whenever I get these I'll probably just pay a shop to do the front.

Quick Reply: Led Turn Signals on 2013 ES350 - Hyper Flashing or Not?