ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New to Lexus - Previous TL Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 09:04 PM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow New to Lexus - Previous TL Owner

Hey Everybody... I'm new to Lexus, as I just traded in my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD last week for a 2013 SE300h. So far, I'm loving the Lexus. There are definitely pros and cons and wanted to share some opinions with everybody and see if I'm all alone or if certain things will grow on me.

PROS:
1. Gas mileage - I was only getting 15/16mpg in the TL. It was terrible paying for premium gas and filling up for $80 once a week.
2. Cabin space - The ES is much bigger. On first look, it appears to be smaller and I think it's based upon the rear window size (smaller on the ES). But, all 6'2" of me can sit with my knee completely extended while I press the accellerator... but more importantly I can accomplish this feat while my 2 year old isn't kicking me in the back from his car seat. HUGE bonus.
3. More luxurious - The TL had a great interior, but Acura always prided themselves on being a luxury car. I just didn't see it. There was alot more modding of the TLs than I've seen in the Lexus forum and I think a TL had a lost identity between a luxury automobile and a 305hp sports car.
4. Most things I loved about the TL are on the ES (push button start, keyless entry, etc)
5. A small item, but the TL would only have one mirror move downwards while in reverse. Whichever mirror was selected would move down. So, depending on the side of the street you're parking on, you would have to switch it.

CONS:
1. The ES is missing the little things. I didn't get the UL, so I don't have the ambient lighting package. I really did like the nice touch the ambient lighting gave. The TL also had LED lighting on the interior, which is sorely missing from the ES. It can easily be changed, but I don't like having to put in an order with vleds for a $40k+ car.
2. No AWD option. The TL was an absolute beast in the snow. Granted, we didn't get much snow in Chicago this past winter, but the TL was a treat to drive.
3. I haven't seen anybody else complain about it, but I think the side mirrors are pretty ugly. They actually look too big for the car. I would have expected something a bit more aerodynamic and less school bus looking.
4. I think the navigation screen is a bit clunky. When I have a destination routed, I see all the weather, compass and everything else on the left, a small 1/3 of the screen is the map and a larger portion on the right is the turn by turn section. To me, it's way too busy.
5. They need to come up with a bamboo shift **** and console kit. The piano black looks a little out of place as it's the only shiny black material in the car.
6. I'm missing the 19" wheels from my TL Advanced package. They were pretty sweet and the ES stock rims are a bit lame. Easy enough to fix if it bothers me that much...
7. I felt like the TL cooled seats worked much better. This is something I'm contemplating taking into the dealer. When the ventilated seats would turn on in the Acura, I would literally feel an instant cooling effect within seconds. I honestly can't tell if it's on in the Lexus (although I hear the fan running).

I know these are first world problems, but I thought I'd share my experiences of the first 5 days with the new car. I'm loving every minute of it... and my wallet is going to love not going to the pump as often. While there are more pros towards the TL, I couldn't get better mileage out of it... and that was one thing that couldn't be upgraded. So, the Lexus wins by a long shot.
Old 06-24-13, 05:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Great screen name, too.
Old 06-24-13, 06:37 AM
txes
Lead Lap

All the con's and you still bought the car.

I don't think any car has... everything.

Welcome and enjoy.

John
Old 06-24-13, 06:48 AM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by txes
All the con's and you still bought the car.

I don't think any car has... everything.

Welcome and enjoy.

John
You're absolutely right. No car will have everything. But, the gas mileage will help me overlook the few trivial things that most people wouldn't even be bothered by. The gas mileage helps outweigh all cons combined.
Old 06-24-13, 07:28 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Blackhawks, our 300h is my wife's daily vehicle and the gas mileage, regular gas and interior room is great. My daily vehicle is a MDX Advance and I have been disappointed in the ES technology (principally voice commands & navigation), ventilated seats, and lack of AC & audio buttons compared to the MDX. But, hey, wife loves the ES so I am happy.
Old 06-24-13, 08:19 AM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wasjr
I have been disappointed in the ES technology (principally voice commands & navigation), ventilated seats, and lack of AC & audio buttons compared to the MDX.
I think the ventilated seats are terrible compared to the TL... like I said I may take back to the dealer because I honestly don't feel them. But, I actually like the voice commands of the ES better than the TL. The new RLX has everything nicely situated for easy access. Touch screens make for a much quicker interaction with the interface. My 2001 TL had a touch screen nav. If found the spinning dial of the TL much more cumbersome than the mouse on the ES.
Old 06-24-13, 08:21 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a TSX Sports Wagon and have a similar list of Pros and Cons. From my perspective, the biggest area of improvement for the ES is the nav/technology integration. It's an improvement over the Acura, but not a big improvement.
Old 06-24-13, 09:59 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackhawks
Hey Everybody... I'm new to Lexus, as I just traded in my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD last week for a 2013 SE300h. So far, I'm loving the Lexus. There are definitely pros and cons and wanted to share some opinions with everybody and see if I'm all alone or if certain things will grow on me.

4. I think the navigation screen is a bit clunky. When I have a destination routed, I see all the weather, compass and everything else on the left, a small 1/3 of the screen is the map and a larger portion on the right is the turn by turn section. To me, it's way too busy.
You can change what appears on the map screen in the setup.
Old 06-24-13, 10:48 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Really you knew before you bought it what gas mileage has the TL and I suppose that if you weren;t ok with it you wouldn;t buy it. You cannot say that TL was horrible on gas mileage comparing with ES because you compare apple with oranges. You compare a huge V6 with over 300hp and AWD with a tiny hybrid of 200hp. Where is the surprise?!
It seems to me that except the gas mileage, nicer interior and more space in the back you liked the TL better

Last edited by keyframe13; 06-24-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 12:33 PM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Really you knew before you bought it what gas mileage has the TL and I suppose that if you weren;t ok with it you wouldn;t buy it. You cannot say that TL was horrible on gas mileage comparing with ES because you compare apple with oranges. You compare a huge V6 with over 300hp and AWD with a tiny hybrid of 200hp. Where is the surprise?!
It seems to me that except the gas mileage, nicer interior and more space in the back you liked the TL better
The TL is rated at 18mpg and premium gas wasn't $5.25/gal when I bought it last September. I loved both cars... but for different reasons. And I honestly don't feel a significant enough difference with the v6 305hp AWD to warrant the additional money spent on the gas. As for the overall experience, I am very happy with my decision on the hybrid.
Old 06-24-13, 12:44 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

The TL is rated at 18mpg and premium gas wasn't $5.25/gal when I bought it last September. I loved both cars... but for different reasons. And I honestly don't feel a significant enough difference with the v6 305hp AWD to warrant the additional money spent on the gas. As for the overall experience, I am very happy with my decision on the hybrid.
Whew! If you were paying $5.25 a gallon for premium gas I'd be kissing the tires of my Lexus. Did the service station owner have a mask and a gun? In PA, Costco is getting $3.60 for premium but I use regular in the 350...$5.25???

Last edited by bc6152; 06-24-13 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 12:54 PM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Whew! If you were paying $5.25 a gallon for premium gas I'd be kissing the tires of my Lexus. In PA, Costco is getting $3.60 for premium but I use regular in the 350...$5.25???
It just came down and I paid $4.30 for regular yesterday. There were some issues with refineries in the midwest that sent prices skyrocketing for a couple months. Regardless of the price, the ability to put 87 vs 93 in the Lexus is already a win.
Old 06-24-13, 12:57 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

That's a lot of money for gas but the price will only go up. TL was first on my list when I was shopping for a car as I owned one for 6 years with no problem and outperform many cars but the new design(too big for me and I'm 6'1") and the gas mileage due to increase in size and big engines make me get an IS just to save on gas. I wish acura tl would offer an 230 - 250hp engine and be smaller.
You might not feel the power as AWD are slower but if the handling in snow matters, people would pay. All the AWD have poor gas mileage. I am curious how you'll ilke the ES in the snow.
Old 06-24-13, 01:11 PM
Blackhawks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by keyframe13
That's a lot of money for gas but the price will only go up. TL was first on my list when I was shopping for a car as I owned one for 6 years with no problem and outperform many cars but the new design(too big for me and I'm 6'1") and the gas mileage due to increase in size and big engines make me get an IS just to save on gas. I wish acura tl would offer an 230 - 250hp engine and be smaller.
You might not feel the power as AWD are slower but if the handling in snow matters, people would pay. All the AWD have poor gas mileage. I am curious how you'll ilke the ES in the snow.
I might not find out for quite awhile... it hasn't snowed much in the last couple years! But, I traded in a 2001 TL and it didn't have AWD when I bought the 2012. So, I only have a short sampling of AWD. I don't anticipated it being a huge deal (fingers crossed).
Old 06-24-13, 01:24 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I might not find out for quite awhile... it hasn't snowed much in the last couple years! But, I traded in a 2001 TL and it didn't have AWD when I bought the 2012. So, I only have a short sampling of AWD. I don't anticipated it being a huge deal (fingers crossed).
You should be fine. I just realize ES has FWD. That is good enough in snow.

Quick Reply: New to Lexus - Previous TL Owner