ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why No A/C Control On The Dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 03:24 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
The ES300h has an electric compressor, it does not run off the gas engine.
I realize that, but the a/c compressor drains the battery* at a substantially greater rate while operating in electric drive. This is when I try to turn the a/c off. When the ICE engine is running the difference is minute.

*While the vehicles differ, my '10 Fusion Hybrid had a highly sensitive electric gage to monitor use. Obvious items such as the radio, internal lights, turn signals, etc were difficult to differentiate while operating. The a/c compresser took a significant hit as did the electric seats. Even the fog lamps and headlights were discernible.
Old 06-19-13, 03:48 PM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by Marcust99
After spending almost a week with the car my only real complaint - and something I'm puzzled why they don't have it - an A/C on/off button on the dashboard. It's ridiculous that you can only control the air conditioning off/on by going into the climate settings with the mouse. I understand the trend in design these days is to go really minimalist with buttons and such, but this is a big oversight since using the AC is such a frequently used function of a car. Odd.
Yes it is

It is a pain in the A$$ to remove whatever function you are using on the screen just to shut off the AC and keep the fan running, then go and put back what you were using the screen for.........
Old 06-19-13, 04:27 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, the difference in fuel usage on a typical tank of gas with the A/C on compared to the A/C off (for me) is about 1 gallon of gas, or about about $3.40 (in my area). I think I will leave the a/c on when it is hot and enjoy the cool air!

Also, FWIW, I notice one it is not extremely hot out, like early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun has set , having the A/C on has virtually no effect on fuel economy. The same is basically true when driving on the highway (even in the middle of the day when it is very hot)..
Old 06-19-13, 04:34 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ElliotB, since you're from hot and humid FL, of course you'd have the ac on all the time.
Old 06-19-13, 05:20 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, I've only started using the air conditioner over my last two tanks. Prior to that, I kept it off 98% of the time. The temperatures are actually quite moderate during the fall, winter and spring, and I like leaving my windows open with the air conditioner off. But is gotten pretty hot here now, and I am using it 100% of the time. I have learned a lot about the air conditioner over the last thousand miles. I have found the penalty for using the air conditioner to be minimal except during the middle of the day (which is obviously the hottest time of the day here, in the low 90s, and the air conditioner has to work at its hardest). Most interestingly, during other times of the day, when the temperature is in the high 70s, low 80s, there is virtually no mileage penalty (for me) for using the air conditioner - amazing!

I don't do a lot of highway mileage, but I believe on the highway there is virtually no loss in fuel economy for having the air conditioner on.
Old 06-19-13, 09:37 PM
GTR31
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marcust99
After spending almost a week with the car my only real complaint - and something I'm puzzled why they don't have it - an A/C on/off button on the dashboard. It's ridiculous that you can only control the air conditioning off/on by going into the climate settings with the mouse. I understand the trend in design these days is to go really minimalist with buttons and such, but this is a big oversight since using the AC is such a frequently used function of a car. Odd.
Yeah i was annoyed that i had to go into climate to click on a/c using the mouse. But there's one solution that i came up with. When i get into my car and its really hot, i press the auto button, and the A/C comes on, and usually when its hot the fan will be on max power, so you can adjust that with the buttons with the a/c staying on. This probably wont work with the auto button, when the weather is a little cooler, but thats the only solution i came up with.
Old 06-19-13, 11:30 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I actually do the same - hit the auto button to turn on the AC, but will need to go thru the menu to turn it off. One small shortcut. This works whether its hot or cold.
Old 06-20-13, 06:29 AM
LexVince
Driver School Candidate

I found that if you hit the AC auto button a second time, it will turn off the AC and revert back to internal/external air circulation. Click it again (auto) to turn it on. I adjust the fax speed by using the fan buttons on the dash.
Old 06-20-13, 07:00 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure but I think you can set up a voice command for that
Old 06-20-13, 11:43 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Key- Tried that, but couldn't find it on VC. VC is very limited on the ES, but maybe on the GS.

LexVince- Will have to try that. Good find.
Old 06-20-13, 03:47 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

LexVince, hitting the Auto a second time doesn't turn off the AC for me. I still have to go to the menu. It was a nice try.
Old 06-21-13, 06:14 AM
LexVince
Driver School Candidate

Arty 101 - make sure that the green auto light is off. The AC will indeed be off. I've done it many times, and you should be able to do the same.
Old 06-21-13, 09:30 AM
batwings
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to LexVince, I figured out something that seems to work.

First, you have to make sure that the AC Auto On function (or whatever it's called) is set to off in the climate customization settings. Then, if you have the Auto button by the fan speed buttons set to on, you can toggle AC on and off using the air circulation button. If I hit the air circulation button and set it to outside air, the AC turns off. Cycling that button to re-circulate air and set to auto, the AC turns back on.

It would still be nice to have an AC button but this approach will work for me.
Old 06-21-13, 11:04 AM
Marcust99
Driver School Candidate

Awesome work guys thanks!!!!
Old 06-21-13, 11:28 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by batwings
Thanks to LexVince, I figured out something that seems to work.

First, you have to make sure that the AC Auto On function (or whatever it's called) is set to off in the climate customization settings. Then, if you have the Auto button by the fan speed buttons set to on, you can toggle AC on and off using the air circulation button. If I hit the air circulation button and set it to outside air, the AC turns off. Cycling that button to re-circulate air and set to auto, the AC turns back on.

It would still be nice to have an AC button but this approach will work for me.
That may be the ticket. We'll try it out.

Quick Reply: Why No A/C Control On The Dashboard?