Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2013 Avalon Hybrid or 2013 ES300h Hybrid?

Old 12-03-12, 08:37 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2013 Avalon Hybrid or 2013 ES300h Hybrid?

I just recently found out that Toyota is releasing the Avalon in a hybrid trim, like they did with the ES. Also, like the ES, it gets a complete redesign from nose to tail for 2013. Honestly, it doesn't look too shabby.

I worked up some numbers to compare last night and although these two models aren't exactly the same in terms of options (it was late), it does give us a general idea of how they compare to each other:

What I like about the Avalon is that it gets the same MPG as the ES but offers an 18% bigger passenger cabin and 17% bigger trunk space as well. My only concern is resale value, being that it's an Avalon (yawn), I'm sure its depreciation curve is going to be much steeper than the ES. Although, it is a hybrid and a car that size that gets 40mpg overall might help it age more graceful in the used car market. I remember reading that the 2013 ES's are built on the same wheelbase as the 2013 Avalon, so that would explain any similarities they have to each other. The ES also adds that touch of luxury that Lexus is known for. Although, I wouldn't miss the $125 oil changes on the Lexus.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Avalon Hybrid or 2013 ES300h Hybrid?-00000.png  

Last edited by Neoxagon; 12-03-12 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 09:04 AM
UTAS
Driver

Yep. AND, the technology package offered with the Avalon is just about all that I would want in the upgrade area. Now, why didn't Lexus do the same with the ES300h? It should have standardized the driver seat leg extension; the auto-hi beam feature; and a rearview mirror that includes a compass - the new Avalon tech pkg includes all of these, but Lexus makes you pay and jive around option packages.

The only thing I don't like about the 2013 Avalon is that huge mouth in the grill - takes some getting-used-to.

I smile as I write this: However, the Lexus service experience is worth "something," and my wife certainly likes / loves the Lexus brand - a fact that should not be lost on most husbands, especially if the new ES300h is a gift for your wife.

Last edited by UTAS; 12-03-12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 11:36 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Toyota/Lexus is not stupid and they must realize that buyers will cross-shop both cars; therefore, I would look at the materials used with each car and the luxury feel of each. I have to believe that the Lexus would win - but that is for you to decide.
Old 12-03-12, 11:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

As mentioned above and in another thread, the Avalon and ES hybrids will be crossed shopped by a lot of buyers. Having this additional choice should ease up any availability issues with either brand. Better for the consumer.
Old 12-03-12, 12:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Since the Avalon and the ES are now built on the same platform, I don't understand the difference in interior dimensions? I knew it was a couple of inches shorter (less overhang) the cabin should have the same passenger volume.

Lou
Old 12-03-12, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Just because the platform is shared doesn't mean the overall structure is shared. It was the same way with the ES and the Camry in the previous generation.
Old 12-03-12, 02:03 PM
UTAS
Driver

Another thought: To the original post, I do not believe trunk space on the new Avalon hybrid is 17% bigger than the ES300h - both, the Avalon and ES hybrid have a battery bank under the rear seat; as both are based on the Avalon platform, both probably have the same trunk space - about 14 cu ft. It's big enough for most applications. However, the gas-only model of each has a large trunk (about 16 cu ft) with a pass-through in the center.

Agree with other comments: The luxury of the Lexus ES300h "should be better" than the Avalon. Of course, it depends on how much being better is worth to the buyer. FWIW
Old 12-04-12, 04:14 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The price difference between the two is about $2500 - $5000 depending on how you have it equipped. A fully loaded 300h (with pre-collision system, Levinson, etc) is in the low $50s while the top of the line Avalon equipped he same way is about $46k-$47k. Although right now, the Lexus dealers are discounting while Toyota probably won't be for a month or two or three.

The Lexus has a longer warranty, a few options that the Avalon does not have, and of course there are other convenient Lexus perks especially at the dealership. The Avalon includes 2 years of maintenance. Which is a better overall value? Each has their advantages. Both are good values.

I drove the gas powered Avalon last week and it appears to be quite similar to the ES, similar enough to make the decision a tough one for some.
Old 12-04-12, 07:35 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Is it true that Avalons are built in Kentucky while Lexus are built in Japan?
Old 12-04-12, 07:36 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB
The price difference between the two is about $2500 - $5000 depending on how you have it equipped. A fully loaded 300h (with pre-collision system, Levinson, etc) is in the low $50s while the top of the line Avalon equipped he same way is about $46k-$47k. Although right now, the Lexus dealers are discounting while Toyota probably won't be for a month or two or three.

The Lexus has a longer warranty, a few options that the Avalon does not have, and of course there are other convenient Lexus perks especially at the dealership. The Avalon includes 2 years of maintenance. Which is a better overall value? Each has their advantages. Both are good values.

I drove the gas powered Avalon last week and it appears to be quite similar to the ES, similar enough to make the decision a tough one for some.
That's true, I forgot about the extra year of warranty you get with Lexus. That's a big plus in the ES's column.
Old 12-04-12, 07:43 AM
Slackbus
Driver

There are definite visual differences between the two. By having the remote touch, the lexus dash is much more attractive since the display can be set back under the sweeping upper lid of the dash. ML is a definite upgrade from JBL. The exterior is nice on both, but the new Lexus "look" is a statement. I guess there's a pretty big "IMHO" to all of this.
Old 12-04-12, 07:45 AM
Slackbus
Driver

Originally Posted by Neoxagon
Is it true that Avalons are built in Kentucky while Lexus are built in Japan?
Yes, Avalon is 100% built at Kentucky plant (with Camry and Venza), ES is 100% made in Kyushu, Japan.
(All Lexus except RX350 are produced in Japan).
Old 12-04-12, 08:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It appears that before too long, Lexus will switch production of the ES to the U.S. There have been several articles recently covering this subject.

In many ways it makes sense for them to do this.
Old 12-04-12, 08:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It appears that before too long, Lexus will switch production of the ES to the U.S. There have been several articles recently covering this subject.

In many ways it makes sense for them to do this.
True.
50% produced are exported to North America and the yen situation.
Old 12-04-12, 02:15 PM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

This would of been nice in the ES. Not enough 12-volt power outlets.---------------
Avalon Has eBin
Avalon’s standard eBin features a non-slip surface, for your cell phone or MP3 device, that’s lit and tilts toward front passengers. Plus it contains a wire management system, two 12-volt power outlet, auxiliary audio jack and a USB port.

Last edited by steig; 12-04-12 at 02:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Avalon Hybrid or 2013 ES300h Hybrid?