ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 11:10 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly4u
We should just be happy there are so many choices in the automotive world, particularly in the world of "badged" automobiles that are in reality quite similar. What is most important for those caught between the Avalon and ES is to extensively test drive both - that might mean prodding the sales advisor to allow an experience better than the typically "canned" route.

Sorry for the platitudinous post, but you can't go wrong with either vehicle!
I wonder if the guys in the Avalon forum have a thread similar to this?
Old 07-11-13, 12:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Regardng the thread title, you could say th same thing about previous gen Avalons and the ES300, ES330 and ES 350. Both have co-existed for years and each has sold well. By 2015 or so they'll both be coming off of the same line in Kentucky. Talk about the lines becoming even moe blurried.
Old 07-11-13, 01:00 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Regardng the thread title, you could say th same thing about previous gen Avalons and the ES300, ES330 and ES 350.
Except the ES was based on the Camry through 2012. Wouldn't have changed more than just the title of the thread, though.
Old 07-12-13, 02:13 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Will the ES Hybrid come off the Kentucky assembly plant too?
Old 08-11-13, 01:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have been watching the Avalon vs ES debate for a while. IMO the Avalon is a much nicer and more premium feeling car. I can't get over how appalling the ES is in the base model form. Fake leather, very poor selection of options and oodles of hard plastic is clearly not what you would expect from a car with a Lexus badge. A total joke of a luxury car if you ask me

Where the Avalon excels is in the items like standard leather seats, oodles of standard options and a very tasteful and well thoughtout design.

The Avalon is a nicer and a more luxurious car than the ES
Old 08-11-13, 01:28 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have been watching the Avalon vs ES debate for a while. IMO the Avalon is a much nicer and more premium feeling car. I can't get over how appalling the ES is in the base model form. Fake leather, very poor selection of options and oodles of hard plastic is clearly not what you would expect from a car with a Lexus badge. A total joke of a luxury car if you ask me

Where the Avalon excels is in the items like standard leather seats, oodles of standard options and a very tasteful and well thoughtout design.

I'll take the real wood in the ES over the plastic wood in the Avalon anyday.
Old 08-11-13, 01:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I'll take the real wood in the ES over the plastic wood in the Avalon anyday.
I was wondering if the ES with fake leather comes with real wood
Old 08-11-13, 01:54 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I was wondering if the ES with fake leather comes with real wood
Yes, all do.
Old 08-11-13, 02:01 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

To each their own, but it sounds like you're comparing a loaded Avalon against a stripper ES. I drove both highly optioned, and for the $5k price difference, the ES was by far the more luxurious of the two. I couldn't stand the cap-touch controls in the Avalon, as well as the ugly center console.
Old 08-11-13, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
To each their own, but it sounds like you're comparing a loaded Avalon against a stripper ES. I drove both highly optioned, and for the $5k price difference, the ES was by far the more luxurious of the two. I couldn't stand the cap-touch controls in the Avalon, as well as the ugly center console.
NO! I was looking at the overall line up. Avalon just seems nicer.
Old 08-11-13, 07:21 PM
susm
Driver School Candidate

The center stack is what drove me away from the Avalon too. It def has more bells and whistles it seems but I just can't stand the look, it looks like a large gray chunk of plastic. Capacitive touch buttons don't bother me one way or the other but overall I prefer normal buttons, capacitive on my last car is too districting as its easy to try and tap and miss the button being off just a little bit and becomes a distraction when you have to look.
Old 08-11-13, 10:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Avalon Rear

Attachment 285993

ES Rear

Attachment 285994
]

I I have never seen the cars side by side the Avalon just look so much more interesting especially with the tailpipes.the Lexus tail pipes kind of look a little like a Hyundai and are not as classy as the rectangular luck on that Avalon. The rear spoiler on the Avalon also looks nicer.
Old 08-12-13, 02:47 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is nothing new, if you ask a Lexus salesman what car is the biggest competitor to the ES, they will tell you the Avalon. I guess either way you look a it, Toyota is getting paid on both fronts, not bad IMO, die-hard Lexus 'fans' will buy the ES, because it's a Lexus and the perceived prestige and pampering that comes with it. All in all it's a good deal either way for the company.
Old 08-12-13, 06:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
This is nothing new, if you ask a Lexus salesman what car is the biggest competitor to the ES, they will tell you the Avalon. I guess either way you look a it, Toyota is getting paid on both fronts, not bad IMO, die-hard Lexus 'fans' will buy the ES, because it's a Lexus and the perceived prestige and pampering that comes with it. All in all it's a good deal either way for the company.
In North America alone through July of this year a total of 83k ES and Avalon's have been sold (+107%). I'm sure Toyota will take each one of them to the bank with a smile. Both good choices for the consumer.
Old 08-12-13, 06:52 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Just put the Avalon tips on the ES.

John
Attached Thumbnails Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?-lex350.jpg  

Quick Reply: Why didn't Avalon and ES just switch badges ?