ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Air ventilated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 05:15 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If I compare the ventilated seats on the 2006 ES that I previously owned to those on the 2013 ES that I currently own, my judgment would be that the total amount of air flow from the seats on both vehicles is pretty similar. What is different is that, with the 2013 ES, the larger portion of the air flow has been shifted from the seat bottom to the seat back. While there is clearly less air flow on the 2013 seat bottom than on that of the 2006 seat bottom, I think that shifting much of the air flow to the seat back may actually improve the effect of the ventilated seats because, now, the air flow is greater on the areas of the body that are likely to have less clothing on them, and, thus, that air flow can more easily cool the skin. With the 2006 ES, while I know that I was getting more air flow on my butt, I really didn't feel it unless I tested for it with the bare skin on my hand.

Thus, my guess would be that, somewhere along the line, Lexus engineers made a design decision to shift much of the air flow to the back of the seat based on the thinking that it would be more effective there, and I agree with those who have said that, while some may not like the design of the 2013 ventilated seats, the performance of those seats hardly falls into the category of some sort of manufacturing defect or failure.

Last edited by lesz; 09-19-13 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I noticed a thread on this topic over on the forum for the new gen IS, so the discussion isn't confined to the ES.
Old 09-19-13, 08:43 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Idlefree
Atoyota,

Well said, but you should get the facts defore you get writing so much. I did take Lexus to lemon law for the ML system and won. During the meeting with Lexus it was said this has been an issue for years and look it is resolved. Durning that meeting it was indicated it was the type of music that caused the issue " music with base" so before you get on your high horse" all the 2013 ES have the same amp and Lexus will replace only the ones customer complain, as not everyone listen to music with lots of base.
We are human and like to compare things this is why so many choices are available to us. Now you common on testing the seats while test driving, like that in the first thing on my mine, nope..... First is how well it runs, how quick, comfort, oh crap the test drive is over......

Maybe you shouldn't be putting people down because something wasn't look at the time or thing went very quickly, or excited of getting a new VEHICLE. I am sure you have purchased something and thought CRAP......

I am glad your fully satisfied.....but others may not so give them a chance to talk about it before you decide to go down their throats.

Last time I check this is a free country and if we choose to compare to other car manufactors our choice, if you do not like it skip to another thread or don't read it .

To your state if I wanted to spend another 10 to 25 k buy the gs or LS, see choices..... but I choose the ES 300h and now I have an issue and trying to resolve it. What a concept atoyota you have a problem or concern and you try to fix it you should try it some time. LOL
Good luck to you. Hope you find some satisfaction - and some happiness.
Old 09-20-13, 07:11 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Since this topic was brought up again I will jump in again as being one who is dissatisfied with the ventilated seats. My only previous experience with ventilated seats is on my Acura MDX and they work great; very noticeable airflow. With the ES nothing. You can hear the motor, but no airflow can be felt.

No, I don’t expect cold air to flow like one of the AC outlets, but I do expect airflow. At the dealer the tech tried the Kleenex trick to show me the seats were working, but the Kleenex just laid on the seat and did not move, yet they still say the seats are working as designed. And as for checking out the vehicle prior to purchase, at 30 degrees in December when we bought the car, it was a little difficult to judge the functioning of the ventilated seats. Plus I had the expectation that a Lexus would be at least comparable to an Acura in all areas (my previous Lexus experience was owning an 04 LS and riding in several friends’ cars including an 11 ES, which started me looking at an ES for my wife).

Question for you guys: You folks talk about the design of the ventilated seats, so is the design different on the GS? The ventilated seats worked great on the GS loaner I had at the 5k ES service, so why the dramatic difference in the function of the same feature among the Lexus models?

Bottom line is that this is my wife’s daily driver, not mine. It is in a parking garage at her work and she has less than a 30 minute commute so the ventilated seats are not a big thing for her. To me, being an **** financial guy, it is more the principal that if the ventilated seats do not work any better than on our ES, we paid for an option that is worthless.
Old 09-20-13, 10:55 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While the flow of air cannot be increased, the temperature of the air can be reduced (cooled) and the procedure to do so has been detailed previously in this thread I believe by myself and one other person. The 'fix' takes under 5 minutes and costs pennies. It really works!

To check air flow if you feel you are really not getting any, simply put a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper at the high end of the seat (the area closest to the dash) and turn the fan on. The sheet will slide down towards the seat back as soon as the fan is turned on. If you are really not getting any air flow and the paper does not move, see your dealer.

Last edited by ElliotB; 09-20-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 01:10 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

I just traded in my 2011 ES on a 2013, and my opinion is that the ventilated seats don't work as well.
Old 09-20-13, 01:19 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
While the flow of air cannot be increased, the temperature of the air can be reduced (cooled) and the procedure to do so has been detailed previously in this thread I believe by myself and one other person. The 'fix' takes under 5 minutes and costs pennies. It really works!

To check air flow if you feel you are really not getting any, simply put a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper at the high end of the seat (the area closest to the dash) and turn the fan on. The sheet will slide down towards the seat back as soon as the fan is turned on. If you are really not getting any air flow and the paper does not move, see your dealer.
It worked, just like an air hockey puck, it floated back. But then again, that's a lot of surface area to float a little piece of paper. There's definitely more air from the seat back.
Old 09-20-13, 02:37 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Arty101, that is true. The bottom line is it does ventilate as designed and if you modify the air vent under the seat as described previously in this thread, cool air is ventilated through the seat keeping your bottom and back cooler than without.

More air would be nicer but in reality, I don't know that it would make a huge difference to the parts being cooled.
Old 09-21-13, 05:09 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB

Hey Elliot, thanks for the infor and great idea and creative but this is not something I would tdo on a luxury car.
I was at the dealership yesterday and they tried the Kleenex on the seat and it just sat there, the service rep did not know what to say.
It was documented on my invoice that the Kleenex did not move, this is going to be sent to Lexus once again.
Old 09-22-13, 06:17 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

It looks like many of us would like the ventilated seats to work better, I was looking at the poll thread.

Seat cooling that is actually cooling 28 43.08%
That is pretty high, compared to all the other items we would like improved. If everyone that is unhappy with the present ventilated seats called Lexus or emailed a complaint we may have a chance to get this fixed.

The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
Lexus is committed to providing the highest level of customer satisfaction. We look forward to assisting you.
Phone: 1-800-255-3987
Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., PT
Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., PT
Fax: 1-310-468-2992
Address:
P.O. Box 2991 - Mail Drop L202
Torrance, CA 90509-2991
Additional Lexus Support

Email Lexus Customer Assistance Center
http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/ask

Last edited by Idlefree; 09-22-13 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 07:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Idlefree
It looks like many of us would like the ventilated seats to work better, I was looking at the poll thread.

Seat cooling that is actually cooling 28 43.08%
That is pretty high, compared to all the other items we would like improved. If everyone that is unhappy with the present ventilated seats called Lexus or emailed a complaint we may have a chance to get this fixed.
The poll refers to A/C seats, which we don't have. That said, I wouldn't mind a little more airflow from what we have today. Not something I'm going to get all worked up about, though. The heated part is what I really care about, being in the Midwest, and that works great!
Old 09-22-13, 08:20 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Idlefree, a tissue won't show if there is air flow as air passes through it - you need to use a regular piece of paper.

While I agree that no modification should be necessary on a vehicle of this type, if you want cooled seats, it is worth doing. The difference is very noticeable.
Old 09-22-13, 08:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
The poll refers to A/C seats, which we don't have. That said, I wouldn't mind a little more airflow from what we have today. Not something I'm going to get all worked up about, though. The heated part is what I really care about, being in the Midwest, and that works great!
As mentioned earlier there are threads on this subject here, previous gen ES, new gen IS, previous gen IS, GS etc. It seems like it's a question of expectations as well as actual performance of the design. Being this widespread I'm thinking the design is what it is and until there is any re-design for most models things will remain as is for now.

It can't hurt to express opinions up the ladder I just wouldn't expect any action anytime soon.
Old 09-22-13, 06:10 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mike728
Hey Mike728, it does not hurt to try thier is always a 50/50 chance. If any good comes from it we all benefit, if Lexus does nothing well we know what we have. If we take the time to send an email or call Lexus at least Lexus knows we would like a better ventilated seat, if we make no effort nothing will improve. thanks for the clearifaction of the poll, but I am sure if the ventilate seat was better it probably would not be that high on the poll.
Old 09-26-13, 03:05 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Hi everyone, I have filled a lemon law claim on the concern the ventilated seat or bottom of the seat does not function properly. I have two reports from independent shops that the bottom of the seat does not function as a ventilated seat. Please note I am only talking about the bottom side not the back. If anything comes out of this we all benefit, if not we know what we have. Unfortunately Lexus has informed me this is the design and will not do anything, they have indicated I am the only customer to contact them on this concern. I need support here...please
Thanks

Quick Reply: Air ventilated Seats