ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Air ventilated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 11:23 PM
Brillo258
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Music4ever - did your dealership ever replace that part and did you notice an improvement in your ventilated seats? I've had my ES 300h for a month and have to say that I'm disappointed with the ventilated seats. Not sure if something is not working correctly, or they're just really poor. I feel (and hear) a good amount of air venting from the upper middle of the seat backrest (middle of back) but nothing in lower back or under seat except for a very slight draft at front edge of seat between legs. It's almost like all passages in the seat are blocked except for the mid-back. Similar performance in the passenger seat.

Shortly after purchasing, I had some window work done and had an IS loner. I tried the ventilated seat (on high because that was the only setting I ever sensed anything in my new ES) and was amazed at how quickly and completely the seat cooled. I had to turn it off because I got cold. After this I thought that maybe I hadn't really given my ES seats a chance, but I've since had little change in my opinion. I intend to bring it up at my 5,000 mile service, but wondering if that's "just the way it is"???
Old 06-18-13, 04:05 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They work better if you have your air conditioning set to vents and feet.

I just had my car in for the 5000 mile service and a couple of other things and had them check the ventilated seats, and they are functioning properly. But I agree they do not provide as much their airflow as other Lexus vehicles. But they definitely do work.
Old 06-18-13, 09:25 AM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the same questions about my ventilated seats as well. I had turned them on briefly during the winter time and they felt ok. But now that the weather has turned hot, they're virtually useless. You can barely feel them on the highest setting. And the dealer said they're working like they should. My wife has a SUV with heated and cool seats and you can feel the difference.
Old 06-18-13, 11:10 AM
Mike218
Rookie

The Lexus seats are heated and ventilated, not cooled
Old 06-18-13, 11:12 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike218
The Lexus seats are heated and ventilated, not cooled
Exactly. They are not connected to the AC.
Old 06-18-13, 11:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO it's important to understand the difference between ventilated and cooled seats.

It makes for more realistic expectations on the performance.
Old 06-19-13, 08:01 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

IMO the ventilated seats are worthless. I don't expect cooled seats, but any air blowing will feel cooler. As I posted earlier in the thread my MDX has ventilated seats and blows plenty of air. I took my wife's 300h in for the 5k service and mentioned the ventilated seats. I had a GS as a loner and the GS ventilated seats worked great. I notice that Brillo had a similar experience with the IS.

When I picked up the car I was told everything was normal. I disagreed and mentioned the GS I had just driven. The service dept head came over and said he could hear the fan motor in the seat running. I told him my concern was air blowing. He then took the thin plastic bag my newspaper was in and laid it over the seat expecting it to move, but it did not. He was helpful in that he brought his laptop over and hooked it up to the car to see if he could make any adjustments, but could not. He said he would follow up and subsequently called and said that he had checked other ES models on the lot and they all functioned as ours, so this was normal. I told him not acceptable, and asked why the ventilated seats in the GS performed significantly better than the ES. He said that I am not the only one to complain and that they would check with Lexus and let me know something in a few days. Have not yet heard back.
Old 06-19-13, 10:42 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I have to agree with WASJR. The ventilation simply does not offer any significant degree of cooling. as an option, the idea is for the seats to be cool when called for by the control. They aren't and count me too as being disappointed with the performance.
Old 06-19-13, 11:36 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Seems like they should add a few more fans or increase the power they receive..
Old 06-19-13, 04:51 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You definitely hear the fan on. I hear them when the ICE is off, in the garage. Maybe they're not efficient or not well ducted to seats.
Old 06-20-13, 01:55 AM
Music4ever
Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Brillo258
Music4ever - did your dealership ever replace that part and did you notice an improvement in your ventilated seats? I've had my ES 300h for a month and have to say that I'm disappointed with the ventilated seats. Not sure if something is not working correctly, or they're just really poor. I feel (and hear) a good amount of air venting from the upper middle of the seat backrest (middle of back) but nothing in lower back or under seat except for a very slight draft at front edge of seat between legs. It's almost like all passages in the seat are blocked except for the mid-back. Similar performance in the passenger seat.

Shortly after purchasing, I had some window work done and had an IS loner. I tried the ventilated seat (on high because that was the only setting I ever sensed anything in my new ES) and was amazed at how quickly and completely the seat cooled. I had to turn it off because I got cold. After this I thought that maybe I hadn't really given my ES seats a chance, but I've since had little change in my opinion. I intend to bring it up at my 5,000 mile service, but wondering if that's "just the way it is"???
Hey Brillo,
Sorry for the delay, was out of town. Yes they said they fixed the ventilated seat, I feel it a little better than before but still useless. You can hardly feel the air or I should say the only reason I said it work was because the dealership put a tissue on the seat and the tissue moved...

Last edited by Music4ever; 06-20-13 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 10:30 PM
Brillo258
Driver School Candidate

Hi Music4ever -- no problem, thanks for the reply. It seems that from your experience and some of the input in recent posts the ventilated seat performance is "just the way it is". I love the car, but it is disappointing, especially when there are other Lexus models (and cars) that have such noticeable ventilated seat performance (my IS loner, wasjr's GS loner, and even an Avalon I drove before buying the ES 300h). Just don't know how the setup in this model so under-performs.

I completed the Lexus survey I recently received by e-mail where I answered questions about performance and quality aspects of the car. I made note of the ventilated seat performance. Supposedly the survey goes to the Lexus design and factory groups. Who knows .... can only hope someone at Lexus sees a blip on the radar regarding negative ES ventilated seat feedback. I guess it could help all those picking up a 2014 model in the future!!!!
Old 09-15-13, 11:02 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone,
I am a new to this site, and noticed everyone having the same issue little to no ventilation on the bottom of the front seat; has anyone got this ratified? My dealer has informed me this is how all the 2013 Es works. The funny thing is my dealer agrees it does not feel right but it is how Lexus designed it. I think we all should start complaining like the ML issue and get this fixed to. I am extremely surprised how bad the ventilated seats function and Lexus has informed me I am the first to complain to them and will do nothing. I would like to know if anyone has reported this concern to Lexus and if so what was the response, as I am thinking of taking this to the next level. I would appreciate all your thoughts on this concern or issue it would be nice to have a ventilated seats.
Old 09-15-13, 11:19 AM
txes
Lead Lap

God, not again...

John
Old 09-15-13, 05:19 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
God, not again...