ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Are you happy with your Lexus Premium Stereo

Old 05-05-13, 12:22 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its merely barely adequate IMHO. Quality is acceptable but it just can't crank out my favorite 70's and 80's tunes loud enough!

I just perused the MSRP sticker to learn the base "Lexus Premium Audio System" has an in-dash 6-CD changer. Always thought it was a single-player device!!

I listened carefully to the system before purchasing the ES; it wasn't so bad to propel me to the ML option or reject the deal for cause.

Last edited by Fly4u; 05-05-13 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 12:05 PM
Joe111
Driver School Candidate

Recently test drove a 2014 ES 350. Loved everything about the car EXCEPT the "premium audio" system. It sounded muddy and weak with no kick at all!! I adjusted the controls all kind of ways but it still sounded blah. My current car has a bose system which is great. I've read where others have installed an aftermarket amp and subwoofer; and others have replaced the speakers as well. I'm not tech savvy at all and would have to have an audio shop do it and have a few questions...

- What is the typical cost to have an audio shop install an amp and subwoofer? (labor/parts included)

- How "intense" is it to add an amp and subwoofer? Replace the speakers? (My concern is having a brand new car "taken apart" in order to do so)

- For those who have upgraded/improved their audio setup, what do you suggest to be the "best" course of action to get a great sound?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks

Last edited by Joe111; 12-13-13 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 10:08 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe111
Recently test drove a 2014 ES 350. Loved everything about the car EXCEPT the "premium audio" system. It sounded muddy and weak with no kick at all!! I adjusted the controls all kind of ways but it still sounded blah. My current car has a bose system which is great. I've read where others have installed an aftermarket amp and subwoofer; and others have replaced the speakers as well. I'm not tech savvy at all and would have to have an audio shop do it and have a few questions...

- What is the typical cost to have an audio shop install an amp and subwoofer? (labor/parts included)

- How "intense" is it to add an amp and subwoofer? Replace the speakers? (My concern is having a brand new car "taken apart" in order to do so)

- For those who have upgraded/improved their audio setup, what do you suggest to be the "best" course of action to get a great sound?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks
I had an enclosure built and sub/amp installed for about $250. All that is done is running a power wire from the battery to the amp, grounding amp to metal, and tapping into the stock sub for an audio signal. To me it sounds great and I don't have a need to do anythmg else.
Old 12-15-13, 08:15 AM
mackbuck12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I had an enclosure built and sub/amp installed for about $250. All that is done is running a power wire from the battery to the amp, grounding amp to metal, and tapping into the stock sub for an audio signal. To me it sounds great and I don't have a need to do anythmg else.

Could you give the details of this upgrade and are you happy with the results.
Old 12-15-13, 08:28 AM
mackbuck12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
DId this upgrade invalidate your warranty ?
Old 12-15-13, 08:38 AM
mackbuck12
Driver School Candidate

I've had my Lexus for a few months now. I would have opted for the ML if the price was more reasonable. Of course one mans reasonable is another man outrageous . I just think that 4k for a car stereo is a liitle much. I've gotten use to my LP Stereo though. There are cases were it sounds great. Pandora and my ipod have a full warm sound. The CD player however is weak . On the LS I noticed that the ML was a 1700.00 option. At that price, I would definitely opted for it. I'm looking into some 3rd party upgrades. I'll report back back my findings.

-T
Old 12-15-13, 10:10 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mackbuck12
Could you give the details of this upgrade and are you happy with the results.
12" FI Audio subwoofer
1,000 watt MTX amp
Bandpass enclosure ported through ski hole
Audiocontrol LC2i
And yes I'm very satisfied with the sound although the midrange is still lacking.

Originally Posted by mackbuck12
DId this upgrade invalidate your warranty ?
To my understanding. modifications to a car will only void the warranty on parts associated with the modification. So if anything were to go wrong with the stereo, they will probably not be willing to fix it. Unless you were to undo whatever modifications you did before asking for the warranty work .