ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2 Big Questions prior to buying a 300h...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 09:23 PM
massalsa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Big Questions prior to buying a 300h...

This forum is an awesome resource. Thanks to all who post...please help me with 2 big issues I have prior to pulling the trigger.

1. I am wrestling with buying the Navigation ($2625) with an 8 inch screen and all the stuff that comes with it versus paying $740 for the 7 inch screen, std audio package and the backup camera. Can I still play iTunes/Pandora/iHeart Radio thru my non Navigation super system? Is it worth the extra $2k for the Nav if I plan to own the car for a long time? My iPhone does a pretty good job of telling me where to go if I need it.

2. The other issue I am struggling with is the "Luxury Package" for $1370 with heated/cooled seats vs the "Premium Package" ($740) + Heated seats ($440) & NuLuxe. A $200 difference for the leather + heat/cool. Every car I see in my market (Minnesota) that has Nav has the leather package and every car that does not have Nav has the Premium + heated seats. I would have to order a car with the "Luxury package" and no Nav or settle for the "Premium" + heat. Thoughts from you forum vets?

Feel free to please let me know if there are cars in your region that have the "Premium Package" with no Nav in Obsidian...

Thanks a ton in advance!
Old 04-18-13, 03:03 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely get both of those packages.
Old 04-18-13, 03:41 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

A couple of things to remember about the Lexus Navigation system when vehicle is in motion you or the passenger cannot do anything until the vehicle is stopped, Second the voice recognition is not that great as you would see on threads. As for the premium Audio system before you make that move make sure you bring with you and play the music as loud as you like it, as the Mark levinson system there has been many complaints as it cannot take music with bass very well (The Subwoofer).Another thing to consider the customer service from Lexus has been very poor.
Old 04-18-13, 04:10 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

"when vehicle is in motion you or the passenger cannot do anything until the vehicle is stopped "

this is not entirely true. But certain features are disabled. This is a safety feature designed to help save your life!

ML Audio system...
While the system is not perfect, for most general listening, is substantially improved over the premium sound system and actually sounds great! Keep in mind how you have the bass, mid-tones, treble, and balance settings set up has a major impact on how the system sounds. I guarantee you that if both systems were the exact same price, everyone would choose the ML system over the premium sound system hands down.

"customer service from Lexus has been very poor" I don't know what dealership you are using but my local dealers have given the exceptional customer service over the years. I have never had an issue with them.

Last edited by ElliotB; 04-18-13 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 04:34 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Originally Posted by ElliotB
"when vehicle is in motion you or the passenger cannot do anything until the vehicle is stopped "

this is not entirely true. But certain features are disabled. This is a safety feature designed to help save your life!

ML Audio system...
While the system is not perfect, for most general listening, is substantially improved over the premium sound system and actually sounds great! Keep in mind how you have the bass, mid-tones, treble, and balance settings set up has a major impact on how the system sounds. I guarantee you that if both systems were the exact same price, everyone would choose the ML system over the premium sound system hands down.

As for safety really on the navigation, I guess the passenger may crash.

"customer service from Lexus has been very poor" I don't know what dealership you are using but my local dealers have given the exceptional customer service over the years. I have never had an issue with them.
Elliot, like I said Lexus customer service is very poor and that is a very important as a dealership can only do so much, and without Lexus support their hands are tied.

As for the ML system, I am driving a Is 250as a rental and the premium system not the ML and it sounds great compared to the ML I my ES 350h with the same type of music. Elliot you know their are many complaints about the ML system I the ES and I think people should know the trurth before purchasing the vehicle.
Old 04-18-13, 05:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I would not have the ES if not for the lux and the nav/ML packages. The ML is a great system, as long as you don't prefer exaggerated bass in your music. For sure, bring some discs with you to test out no matter what system you're leaning towards. Also, turn off the DSP surround, which is defaulted to "on" from the factory. It makes music boomy and unnatural sounding. The more you get to know the vehicle before purchasing, the less whining we'll hear later.
Old 04-18-13, 06:18 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

As you have found out, Lexus configures vehicles generally based on most popular options. You should have the configurations you are considering priced separately. It is likely that you will receive a better deal buying a vehicle on the lot vs special order, which will narrow the price differential you mention.
Old 04-18-13, 06:23 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

ICnothing, between the ONLY two choices for the ES300h, the ML is definitely the best choice.

Just curious... what kind of issues have you had with Lexus customer service?
Old 04-18-13, 08:53 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Regarding the OP questions:

1- I strongly prefer mfgr integrated NAV systems, however the ES300h unit is relatively antiquated and frustrating. Whether it is worth the roughly $2K differential is judgemental and I judge it to be merely acceptable. You ought to scrutinize the merits on a dedicated test-drive; I learned through experience post-purchase!! You may be better served with a full-featured portable unit albeit with the attendant hassle of positioning and electrical feed.

2- I suppose dealer inventory is tailored to their biases or regional preferences. In SoCal many ES300h's are available with NAV and Premium or Luxury. Note the configuration of my ES in the sig block below; it nicely met my primary criteria of NAV + Premium + Heated Seats + Blind Spot.

Good luck with the search!
Old 04-18-13, 09:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

One of the big reasons I would get the nav is resale. When you look at luxury cars on the used market, there is a marked difference in resale between cars that have nav and cars that do not. People want nav on these cars.
Old 04-18-13, 11:54 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't get Nav, and don't think I miss it. -hard to miss what I don't have.

I have google maps, (w/ traffic overlay). on my droid phone, and that works for me. (and saved $2k)

but I did get the heated seats... it was a dealer ordered option. -I would have preferred the rear sun visor.
(how many times will I really use heated seats in so Fla?)

OTOH, a ban on texting while driving was just passed in FLA. -that may be a problem for mobile phone nav...

Still $2k for nav, to me is like 1st class on a plane. -a pretty expensive upgrade for a small benefit. I chose to spend my $ elsewhere.
Old 04-18-13, 04:47 PM
ICnothing
Rookie

Originally Posted by ElliotB
ICnothing, between the ONLY two choices for the ES300h, the ML is definitely the best choice.

Just curious... what kind of issues have you had with Lexus customer service?
I called and e-mailed lexus for almost 4 weeks on my concern with the Mark Levinson System, and when they finally returned my e-mail 4 in a half weeks they claim I am the first to complain about this issue with the subwoofer, when I told them their is a lot of people complaining on-line they said you cannot beleive what you read on line. I finally had the vehicle go in for the 3rd time to the dealership and the dealer said it was normal but would send the finding to Lexus to investigate. when I spoke to Lexus they were very rude and just wanted me of the phone. For a luxury company to take 4 weeks to return e-mails or phone calls I have never incountered this ever. When I asked them why it took so long, Lexus replied we have other important issue that needs to be taken care off.

I am really glad that my CEO at my company just approved not to purchase anymore vehicles from Toyota Corperation from all our companies in North America and Asia, We will be dealing with Honda Corperation, and GM.

Last edited by ICnothing; 04-18-13 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-18-13, 04:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ICnothing
I called and e-mailed lexus for almost 4 weeks on my concern with the Mark Levinson System, and when they finally returned my e-mail 4 in a half weeks they claim I am the first to complain about this issue with the subwoofer, when I told them their is a lot of people complaining on-line they said you cannot beleive what you read on line. I finally had the vehicle go in for the 3rd time to the dealership and the dealer said it was normal but would send the finding to Lexus to investigate. when I spoke to Lexus they were very rude and just wanted me of the phone. For a luxury company to take 4 weeks to return e-mails or phone calls I have never incountered this ever. When I asked them why it took so long, Lexus replied we have other important issue that needs to be taken care off.

I am really glad that my CEO at my company just approved not to purchase anymore vehicles from Toyota Corperation from all our companies in North America and Asia, We will be dealing with Honda Corperation, and GM.

Are there other reasons your company is taking this action other than your experience with the ML system?
Old 04-18-13, 05:10 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
[/U][/B]
Are there other reasons your company is taking this action other than your experience with the ML system?
I'm sure it has absolutley nothing to do with his issue. It's a business, they go where they can get the most for their money.
Old 04-18-13, 05:13 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

"We will be dealing with Honda"

LOL!

In 2006 I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid. I got exceptional mileage with it, averaging 58mpg for about two years and then I had an issue with the battery. This issue is well documented. After many attempts to get it fixed and Honda refusing to assist, I traded the car in and bought my my 2nd Toyota product. I will never buy Honda again.

FWIW, Honda does not have a vehicle that compares to the ES. But their vehicles, like Toyota, are excellent.

Good luck with GM too! I won't share my GM story with you but it is similar to my Honda story. And GM's vehicles in general are nowhere near as good as Honda and Toyota.

I suspect that until Lexus comes up with a fix that works, nothing can be done about the ML subwoofer issue. Fortunately, unless you are at very high volume levels, the problem is easily controllable.

Last edited by ElliotB; 04-19-13 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 2 Big Questions prior to buying a 300h...