ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Navigation Voice Recognition Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 01:04 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"The only downside is the annual $265 subscription fee"

First, it comes free with the vehicle for the first year - why not use it! Secondly it is not $265 a year.

One of the main reasons I bought a Lexus was for the Safety Connect feature. The fee for DA is $10/month in addition to the cost of Safety Connect. I consider DA one of the vehicles best safety features (aside from the Safety Connect feature).

Fees can be viewed here:

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...bscriptions.do

"My wife tells me..., to use it" - Didn't you know you should always listen to your wife!
Old 04-17-13, 01:42 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree the Voice recognition works like crap..
Old 04-17-13, 08:41 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arty101
Elliot, I'm just the opposite. I would like to be able to do it myself for two reasons: 1) when my subscription runs out, I probably won't renew so I'll need to learn how to use it; and, 2) I feel foolish calling some call center to ask for directions (into the Nav). I know, it's me. My wife tells me the same, to use it since we have it.
This is true for me too, especially when I know where I want to go, DA feels like overkill to have someone else program your GPS for you. It's worse than stopping for directions Sadly this plagues all Lexus vehicles
Old 04-17-13, 09:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

We used DA and eDestination primarily while travelling. eDestination was handy when planning a trip, loading in hotels, POI's etc before leaving. DA was convenient for us while on the road. As mentioned not for everyone since they are subscription based.

I've often wondered what the renewal rate is after the 1 year trial expires.
Old 04-17-13, 12:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

My problem with DA is time. It takes it 20-30 seconds to load and connect, then the person has to search, then it takes time to download to the car. The VR is much faster for addresses, although I do like the DA for POAs, etc.
Old 04-17-13, 01:57 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, it's a guy thing. I hate asking for directions, and I hate asking someone on the DA 'phone' to give me directions, especially if its local. I'd just like to give VC an address, enter and go. What's so hard with that ?
Old 04-17-13, 02:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW10ES
My problem with DA is time. It takes it 20-30 seconds to load and connect, then the person has to search, then it takes time to download to the car. The VR is much faster for addresses, although I do like the DA for POAs, etc.
That's the advantage of being retired (the ES demographic) those 45-60 seconds are no big deal. I see what you mean though. If the VR was more user friendly, for me at least, I'm sure I wouldn't have used these services so much.,
Old 04-17-13, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You had the previous gen ES though right? Yeah the voice recognition on my 2010 sucked. But its much better on my GS...
Old 04-17-13, 04:00 PM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scutmud
Could not get the voice recognition to work inputting an address. It would not recognize the street name, and continued to get it VERY very wrong. My previous car gave you three attempts, after the third attempt it asked you to spell the name which worked flawlessly.

For a quiet car, smooth road, background noise should not be the issue.

See my youtube video:

feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOHY-9RJ9U&feature=youtu.be[/URL]

Like the car, but continued to be frustrated for the poor execution of the electronic interface.
As a followup. If I say West Pratt all that comes back is West. I hate that when you say the whole street name it only comes back with one word and you have to drill into the various choices.
Old 04-17-13, 04:15 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I've tried some of the commands that are part of the GS, and they don't work on the current ES. These commands were given from another ES thread and the author thought that the GS VR commands should work for the ES. A biggie for me: "Cancel" command will not work in the ES. I've tried to cancel current Navi, but must do it via menu. This is not user friendly.
Old 04-17-13, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by scutmud
As a followup. If I say West Pratt all that comes back is West. I hate that when you say the whole street name it only comes back with one word and you have to drill into the various choices.
This is an issue when typing addresses in too, it has to do with how they are entered in.

95% of the time I have no issues.
Old 04-17-13, 04:40 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

I finally watched the youtube video. It made my wife laugh, because she has the exact same problem in her CR-V trying to use the phone. I have yet to try this feature in the ES, but you make it look like a challange. Something to look forward to!
Old 04-17-13, 06:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW10ES
You had the previous gen ES though right? Yeah the voice recognition on my 2010 sucked. But its much better on my GS...
Yes, I had the previous gen. Glad to hear the new gen has improved.
Old 04-18-13, 07:20 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
I finally watched the youtube video. It made my wife laugh, because she has the exact same problem in her CR-V trying to use the phone. I have yet to try this feature in the ES, but you make it look like a challange. Something to look forward to!
That sounds like my experience with the ES VR. Can't get it to do anything except make and receive calls.
Old 09-28-13, 06:04 PM
2WELRV
Driver School Candidate

"Lexus voice recognition SUCKS" is an extreme understatement!! When it can't recognize who you're trying to call(which is most of the time) it guesses at something close and asks if its correct then gives you 2 choices, Yes and No. When you respond with "No" it can't "Recognize The Command". It can't recognize the word "No" over and over and over again it can't recognize "No", the simplest word in the English language. My dog understands the word "No". My sisters cat understands the word "No", but my $50,000 Lexus can't! My service department say it's working correctly, well that's good news.

Quick Reply: Navigation Voice Recognition Sucks