ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

The Master thread for ES350 window Tint (merged threads)!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 01:48 AM
MaiES300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
Mine are tinted (300h) from the dealer with no issues.
Hi I also own the 2013 es300h and waiting for my car to be delivered and I'm also getting my windows tinted. I'm getting a starfire pearl on black interior and I chose to do 35% all over but afraid if would be hard to see out at night.

Another question is will tinting the windows loose the way the windows original gloss like the luxury look of the car? I wish they made 40% cause that would be perfect not to dark not to light and you wouldn't have to worry about it at night being hard to look out. I'm afraid because my interior is black it would make it look too dark since the car is white, but than 50% would be way too late do you think?
Old 05-27-13, 07:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MaiES300h
Hi I also own the 2013 es300h and waiting for my car to be delivered and I'm also getting my windows tinted. I'm getting a starfire pearl on black interior and I chose to do 35% all over but afraid if would be hard to see out at night.

Another question is will tinting the windows loose the way the windows original gloss like the luxury look of the car? I wish they made 40% cause that would be perfect not to dark not to light and you wouldn't have to worry about it at night being hard to look out. I'm afraid because my interior is black it would make it look too dark since the car is white, but than 50% would be way too late do you think?
Several tint manufacturers offer 40% tint. I've had both Llumar and 3M in 40%. You might have to request it from your tint shop if they don't keep it in stock. Night vision was a big concern for me too, and have had no problems with ether 35% (legal in IL) or 40%.

I currently have an Audi with black interior and 50% tint. Definitely lighter looking but the black interior darkens the look a bit.
Old 05-27-13, 07:24 AM
Sandollars
Driver School Candidate

My advice is you stick with what's legal. At least down here in SoCal, the Police WILL write you a fix-it ticket every time they pull you over. 35 bucks and an affidavit by a police officer that you had the film removed.
Old 05-27-13, 12:45 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I just checked the Pennsylvania laws regarding tinting and have a question for those of you that have had it done recently or previously. According to the statute, 70% of the light must be able to pass thru the window. Now I see various vehicles here where one can't even see into the car thru the side windows. The statute also states that no window tint should prevent viewing into the car thru the side wing, side, and rear windows. Does this sound similar to the laws in other states?
Old 05-27-13, 07:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bc6152
I just checked the Pennsylvania laws regarding tinting and have a question for those of you that have had it done recently or previously. According to the statute, 70% of the light must be able to pass thru the window. Now I see various vehicles here where one can't even see into the car thru the side windows. The statute also states that no window tint should prevent viewing into the car thru the side wing, side, and rear windows. Does this sound similar to the laws in other states?
The laws vary from state to state and the language is different. I had good luck stopping at a couple of tint shops to get things explained to me from their viewpoint. I ended up using each of them for different cars. They deal with these questions everyday and are a good source of info.
Old 05-28-13, 07:05 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The laws vary from state to state and the language is different. I had good luck stopping at a couple of tint shops to get things explained to me from their viewpoint. I ended up using each of them for different cars. They deal with these questions everyday and are a good source of info.
+1. Totally agree with Bob.
Old 05-29-13, 09:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

and have had no problems with ether 35% (legal in IL) or 40%.
Still not legal in Chicago:

Tinted Windows

It is unlawful to have a sign, poster, window application, reflective material, non-reflective material or tinted film on the front windshield, side-wings or side windows immediately adjacent to either side of the operator. A non-reflective tint screen may be used along the uppermost portion of the front windshield if the material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. It is also unlawful to park or stand a vehicle on any potion of the public way if the vehicle is equipped with non-reflective, smoked or tinted glass or non-reflective film on the front windshield, side-wings or side windows immediately adjacent to either side of the driver's seat. There is an exemption for persons requiring tinted glass for medical reasons.

Chicago issues tinted window violations under home rule authority. We are aware that laws outside Chicago may be more lenient with regard to the amount of tint permitted on vehicles. However, tinted windows can compromise police officers' ability to see into a vehicle and this can be a serious safety issue for law enforcement personnel.

LINK Towards the bottom.
Old 05-29-13, 11:02 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Probably considered "Gangsta" tint in Chicago.

John
Old 05-30-13, 12:25 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

In reading these posts I see the various percentages allowed in the different states. In PA the VLT - visible light transmittance required is 70%. When I view the percentages in other states I see a great disparity. NM - 20% OK - 25% SC - 27% TX 25% - all for front/rear side windows. These windows must be almost impossible to see thru. So PA at 70% for all but the rear windscreen must be a very light tint. I don't think its even worth doing at that per cent as Lexus has already given it about 18%.
Old 06-02-13, 02:17 AM
MaiES300h
Driver School Candidate

Several tint manufacturers offer 40% tint. I've had both Llumar and 3M in 40%. You might have to request it from your tint shop if they don't keep it in stock. Night vision was a big concern for me too, and have had no problems with ether 35% (legal in IL) or 40%.

I currently have an Audi with black interior and 50% tint. Definitely lighter looking but the black interior darkens the look a bit.

So you suggest that I get the 50% all over, cause I feel that the new ES has a little bit of a tint to it already.
I'm getting mines tinting by the Lexus dealership and I've already asked about 40% which they don't have. It was either 20%,30%,35%,50%.

Is there by any chance you can post up photos of your Audi daytime and night time? I still have until Monday or Tuesday to decide. I'm feom Ohio by the way and 50% is required for 2 front windows the back can be as dark as I want there's no legal limit there. So going with the 35 all over was risking, but I had 30% all over before on my old IS250 and never got pulled over.
Old 06-02-13, 12:16 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

So I went to a tint shop here in PA where the legal VLT limit is 70%. The shop recommended 35% and stated that with a Lexus 350, chances of being stopped for a violation are very small as opposed to a hot Honda or Toyota like on "fast and furious". My next question is that we have state inspection once a year in PA. I'm wondering if the inspection station holds your feet to the fire on this issue. Guess I should ask the dealer where I bought the car first. Anyone with input I'd like to know...
Old 06-03-13, 02:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MaiES300h
So you suggest that I get the 50% all over, cause I feel that the new ES has a little bit of a tint to it already.
I'm getting mines tinting by the Lexus dealership and I've already asked about 40% which they don't have. It was either 20%,30%,35%,50%.

Is there by any chance you can post up photos of your Audi daytime and night time? I still have until Monday or Tuesday to decide. I'm feom Ohio by the way and 50% is required for 2 front windows the back can be as dark as I want there's no legal limit there. So going with the 35 all over was risking, but I had 30% all over before on my old IS250 and never got pulled over.
The reason I went with 50% on the front side windows was to stay legal here in IL. If you have a CUV, SUV minivan etc. with privacy glass in the back you can only go as dark as 50% on the front windows. I would have preferred a little darker but didn't think it was worth risking it.
Old 06-04-13, 12:17 PM
ctrujillo4
Driver School Candidate

Default Ceramic Window Tint

Has anyone used ceramic window tint? Is there a noticeable difference in keeping the interior cool? Any other benefits? My local Lexus dealer does not provide but gave me information for a company that did provide Ceramic tint. I'm curious if it's worth the extra cost.

Prices below:

Ceramic Tint: $250
Standard 3M Tint: $185
Old 06-04-13, 01:39 PM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I got mine done at Sun Stoppers (franchise you can check to see if there's one near you) . Non metallic tint is supposed to not interfere with your radio signal and rear defrost.
Old 06-04-13, 01:45 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SunTek Carbon XP Car Tint is what I installed. The CXP grade was the superior choice.....installed for $230. Claims the AC doesn't have to work as hard. Seems to be a good choice for us here in the south.

Quick Reply: The Master thread for ES350 window Tint (merged threads)!