Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 12:52 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
I just read a scathing review of the RLX just posted a couple of days ago:
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...test-headlines

It's all negative which makes me think it's not completely accurate. However, the major negative that sticks out for me is that it is a huge car, larger than the current 5 series, and has a turning radius of 40ft(!). Also, the headlamp design is bizarre.
"Let’s take styling. I’d first like to heap scorn upon the RLX’s “Jewel Eye” LED-headlight assemblies, which are a complete aesthetic failure, and massively gimmicky besides. The car looks possessed by the demon spirit of Liberace."

I've driven Acuras for the past 8 years and have been a fan of Honda/Acura forever. Thus, while I think the review is a little over-the-top harsh, I did have to laugh at that quote!

For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with the styling of the RLX. However, when I looked at one at the dealership (before buying the ES300h), I wasn't impressed. Quite honestly, I'm probably more impressed with the new Honda Accord, keeping in mind what you get for the price.
Old 04-03-13, 02:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
A fully heated steering wheel will always be leather only, no wood. The wiring that heats up the wheel runs under the leather and conducts the heat. There's no way to do that (economically) under the wood area. This is common sense. If you want a fully heated wheel, you'll have to get a leather one.
Not true. My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland had a heated Wood and Leather Steering wheel. Wood section was also heated. But I'll note that the wood part would start to feel super hot (hotter than the leather sections). Overall it was still nice to have the whole wheel heated when I lived in the midwest.
Old 04-03-13, 02:59 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why smart companies don't bother trying to... heat wood.

It is a poor conductor of heat. It gets hot. Then it likes to burn.

John
Old 04-03-13, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by txes
That's why smart companies don't bother trying to... heat wood.

It is a poor conductor of heat. It gets hot. Then it likes to burn.

John
This is not why Lexus did not heat the wood sections of the ES and GS wheel, its because they cheaped out. The LS has a full heated steering wheel, wood and leather sections. I remember reading an article about how they tried a lot of different heating elements for the wood sections so the heat would feel uniform.
Old 04-03-13, 06:00 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
This is not why Lexus did not heat the wood sections of the ES and GS wheel, its because they cheaped out.
**or** the ES buyer "cheaped out" because they didn't by the LS!
Old 04-03-13, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Other carmakers offer a fully heated wood and leather steering wheel at the same price point. They certainly offer a fully heated all leather wheel which Lexus doesn't either.

Its cost cutting, plain and simple. Its not going to keep me out of the car, but its annoying and something they need to work on. At least for the GS.
Old 04-04-13, 05:40 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Other carmakers offer a fully heated wood and leather steering wheel at the same price point. They certainly offer a fully heated all leather wheel which Lexus doesn't either.

Its cost cutting, plain and simple. Its not going to keep me out of the car, but its annoying and something they need to work on. At least for the GS.
Perhaps. But, if having a partially heated steering wheel vs. fully heated steering wheel is cost cutting, what do you call a 12.3" NAV display vs. the traditional 8" display that most manufacturers offer? (What's the opposite of cost cutting?)

Don't get me wrong, I wish Lexus had the interior design/quality of Audi, the handling characteristics of BMW, the fuel efficiency of the Prius, the cost effectiveness of Hyundai, and the reliability of Honda. However, that's simply not reality. It all comes down to choices and priorities.
Old 04-04-13, 06:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by chewbach
the reliability of Honda.
You want Lexus to lower their reliability?
Old 04-04-13, 06:16 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
You want Lexus to lower their reliability?
I already used Toyota once in the response!

Let's just say I'd be happy with Honda or Toyota reliability!
Old 04-04-13, 06:23 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

I already used Toyota once in the response!

Let's just say I'd be happy with Honda or Toyota reliability!
I'll take Lexus over even Toyota.

Old 04-04-13, 12:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps. But, if having a partially heated steering wheel vs. fully heated steering wheel is cost cutting, what do you call a 12.3" NAV display vs. the traditional 8" display that most manufacturers offer? (What's the opposite of cost cutting?)
But you don't have a 12.3" nav display in the ES.

Only if consumers speak will Lexus listen. We all would prefer a fully heated steering wheel, make some noise and next time it will be. Spend your time making excuses for them, and half measures are what you'll get.
Old 04-04-13, 02:22 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

But you don't have a 12.3" nav display in the ES.

Only if consumers speak will Lexus listen. We all would prefer a fully heated steering wheel, make some noise and next time it will be. Spend your time making excuses for them, and half measures are what you'll get.
Sorry, but I'm not the one complaining about the steering wheel. The 12.3" nav reference was directed at the GS (which it looks like you own), not the ES.

My ES300h is not a perfect car, but I'm very happy with the overall quality and value. I have no concerns about the partially heated steering wheel. None. I do recognize that there are compromises with any car. I do not subscribe to the entitlement mentality that if a feature exists on any car, then we should get it - or "make noise" until we do.

...and again, if a fully heated steering wheel is that important to somebody, why on earth buy a car that doesn't have it, then complain afterwards?
Old 04-04-13, 03:06 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'll take Lexus over even Toyota.

Whew! Your pictorial chart says it all. I'm glad I didn't buy a Land Rover... Seriously, the chart does mean something and Lexus is at the top. Another post stated it quite succinctly: You simply cannot get everything you want in one vehicle. I was this close to buying an Audi A5 coupe but wanted the cushy ride of the Lexus plus the additional 70 HP and a V-6. When spending 40 - 50K for a car one must do their homework before signing the sales agreement.
Old 04-04-13, 03:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

...and again, if a fully heated steering wheel is that important to somebody, why on earth buy a car that doesn't have it, then complain afterwards?
Because it is something that is unexpected, I too was surprised to find that the wood portions of the wheel weren't heated, there shouldn't be any surprises like that in a $50k or a $60k vehicle. As a matter of fact, I think the Lexus is the only vehicle I've seen that only has a partially heated wheel...it would never even have occurred to me that the wheel might not be heated all the way around when everybody else heats theirs all the way around.

Don't be so defensive...its just a car...recognizing that there are things that may not have been engineered as well as they could have been does not mean its not a great car. You act like I just told you your wife was ugly or something
Old 04-04-13, 05:11 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Because it is something that is unexpected, I too was surprised to find that the wood portions of the wheel weren't heated, there shouldn't be any surprises like that in a $50k or a $60k vehicle. As a matter of fact, I think the Lexus is the only vehicle I've seen that only has a partially heated wheel...it would never even have occurred to me that the wheel might not be heated all the way around when everybody else heats theirs all the way around.

Don't be so defensive...its just a car...recognizing that there are things that may not have been engineered as well as they could have been does not mean its not a great car. You act like I just told you your wife was ugly or something
Sorry. Not trying to be defensive. I just can't embrace the "cheap out" mentality. As somebody else pointed out, so many core elements of the ES have been elevated (like the platform itself). Yet, seeing such frustration at a partially vs. fully heated steering wheel seems so....trivial.

On the flip-side, everybody has their own priorities . Yours clearly includes a fully heated steering wheel. Me, I'm just tickled that I'm driving a fairly large / fairly luxurious car that's getting close to 40MPG -- and in a (likely) highly reliable and a (likely) high-resale value car. Still - Are there improvement areas? Yep.

Quick Reply: Heated Wood Steering Wheel Woodgrain Trim