ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking at the Lexus 300h !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 10:29 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont really think so. I think most people would consider the Q50 more of a compact/entry competitor against IS/ES, A4, 3 series, and C class. The M37 (future Q70) would be more of a midsize competitor against the GS.

The OP is probably looking at both the Q50 and ES because both are entry and seem to be the only current hybrid luxury offerings in that realm.
Old 03-26-13, 09:13 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I dont really think so. I think most people would consider the Q50 more of a compact/entry competitor against IS/ES, A4, 3 series, and C class. The M37 (future Q70) would be more of a midsize competitor against the GS.
I would agree. I don't believe Infiniti has a direct competitor to the ES. I looked at Infiniti because my brother-in-law works for Nissan and we can get a great deal. I liked the M but did believe it more sporty than the ES, and more in line with the GS. The G series did seem more like the IS re size.
Old 03-27-13, 03:33 AM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

My opion about the 300h is great on fuel, but don't forget it is a 4cylinder vehicle very roomy. Do I feel this vehicle is worth the money after owning it ....No..... If you are looking for something more sporty this is not the vehicle trust me... The reason i choose this vehicle was fuel economy, i wish i did like you and asked questions about the 300h before i bought it. My Acura TL blows this car away... Even my old X-5 was more fun to drive and it was a truck. One thing I have to say I have had a couple of issue with my 300h and Lexus customer service is not been good at all or I should say no support.
Old 03-27-13, 05:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Relax
My opion about the 300h is great on fuel, but don't forget it is a 4cylinder vehicle very roomy. Do I feel this vehicle is worth the money after owning it ....No..... If you are looking for something more sporty this is not the vehicle trust me... The reason i choose this vehicle was fuel economy, i wish i did like you and asked questions about the 300h before i bought it. My Acura TL blows this car away... Even my old X-5 was more fun to drive and it was a truck. One thing I have to say I have had a couple of issue with my 300h and Lexus customer service is not been good at all or I should say no support.
Yes the 300h gets good gas mileage, but the ES line has never been known as sporty, fun to drive etc. A quick look at just about any new car review would give a heads up on this. This model's strengths lie elsewhere.
Old 03-27-13, 06:00 AM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes the 300h gets good gas mileage, but the ES line has never been known as sporty, fun to drive etc. A quick look at just about any new car review would give a heads up on this. This model's strengths lie elsewhere.
Cannot agree more. Sporty has never been a focus for the ES.

Perhaps the new sportier look for the '13 is creating higher expectations on that front. I believe they did firm-up the suspension a bit, but that doesn't translate to sporty.
Old 03-27-13, 08:10 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chewbach
Cannot agree more. Sporty has never been a focus for the ES.

Perhaps the new sportier look for the '13 is creating higher expectations on that front...
There might be truth to this as I have seen younger folks behind the wheel of the new ES. It would be interesting to see actual statistics on this.

Your typical ES buyer has historically been someone who wants Buick ride/comfort, but without the nameplate being synonymous with AARP along with excellent long-term reliability (not BMW/MB) but outside of the more common Toyota offerings. As far as sportiness goes, a basic reading of the specs to someone new to the car will see that it is FWD, ruling it outright for those looking for great handling.

Actually, according to Motor Trend, over 60% of the ES's weight is up front, but to ES buyers who spend the majority of their time driving in a straight line-- who cares-- just make sure it can pull away faster from the stoplight than the Honda with all the VTEC stickers, while soaking up the potholes littering the backroads of Sonoma County through their wine tour. . . At least, that's been the image.

Last edited by amphipri0n; 03-27-13 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-27-13, 08:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The average age of new ES buyers has been up around 60 for a long time. Toyota/Lexus has been trying to lower that average. I haven't seen anything recently that shows if they are suceeding or not. It might take a while with the new gen just out, but I don't think the needle moved much with the previous gen.
Old 03-27-13, 08:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

The average age of new ES buyers has been up around 60 for a long time. Toyota/Lexus has been trying to lower that average. I haven't seen anything recently that shows if they are suceeding or not. It might take a while with the new gen just out, but I don't think the needle moved much with the previous gen.
I'm younger than 60 and I bought one. I would not have bought the prior versions.
Old 03-27-13, 09:06 AM
LoveOM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
There might be truth to this as I have seen younger folks behind the wheel of the new ES. It would be interesting to see actual statistics on this.

Your typical ES buyer has historically been someone who wants Buick ride/comfort, but without the nameplate being synonymous with AARP along with excellent long-term reliability (not BMW/MB) but outside of the more common Toyota offerings. .
I think these comments are true. I am 30 with only one child, it seems my generation in general cares about our impact on the planet but we also do not want to compromise on quality or style. For me I am trying to talk myself into a Lexus ES300h because it does feel like my mother's car...... or someone more in the age range of the OP.

I think Lexus missed the mark with my age segment. By electing to not offer the IS in hybrid form they are trying to pressure us in that segment who want a Lexus for luxury/ green tech/ and reliability into the ES300h or the CT. Them doing this just makes me want to be like hello Audi or traditional IS.... but for all the reasons I listed above I am trying to talk myself into loving the ES300h.
Old 03-27-13, 09:35 AM
Fly4u
Banned

I'm 54 and have traditionally favored sports sedans prior to having an epiphany 4 years ago - the desire to burn substantially less fossil fuel. The best choice at the time was a 2010 Fusion Hybrid as the more traditional offerings brought too deep a sacrifice in handling and luxury. The recent goal of trading for a '13 Fusion Hybrid was derailed due to the incredible MPG shortfall from the advertised 47/47/47 numbers thus far even amongst experienced hybrid drivers. The 300h was not remotely on my radar until I frantically searched for alternatives. While not as sharp handling as the Fusion, it offered sufficient luxury attributes and demonstrably better mileage to have sealed the deal. Now approaching 1K miles and an overall average MPG of 41.5 there is no buyers remorse thus far; the efficiency seems to have upticked the last few hundred miles.

I cross-shopped several vehicles prior to commitment including the Buick Lacrosse "mild hybrid" as well as traditional BMW offerings such as the 3-series and even the X-1. The latter two offer commendable MPG for what they are, but not enough to close the gap. I've frequently bucked the "age" trend throughout my ownership experience - drive what I like regardless of social stigma.

Last edited by Fly4u; 03-27-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-27-13, 10:19 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ouch. Where did you get that stat? I'm pretty sure the majority of the CL members on this board are below 60, but may not represent the demographics of their actual sales.
Old 03-27-13, 11:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Arty101
Ouch. Where did you get that stat? I'm pretty sure the majority of the CL members on this board are below 60, but may not represent the demographics of their actual sales.
When the last gen first came out the 60 number was referenced in a lot of the press. The LS was a couple of years higher at that time. During the run of the last gen 60 still seemed to be mentioned. JD Power used to publish this kind of info by brand/model but I don't think they do it any more.

I would agree that a younger buyer might frequent a site like CL vs. an older buyer.
Old 03-27-13, 12:47 PM
chewbach
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'm younger than 60 and I bought one. I would not have bought the prior versions.
Ditto. The styling + hybrid option is what did it for me.
Old 03-27-13, 12:51 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by chewbach
Ditto. The styling + hybrid option is what did it for me.
I don't have the hybrid, I have the 350. Forgot what thread I was in. I just took offense to the over 60 comment.
Old 03-27-13, 01:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
I don't have the hybrid, I have the 350. Forgot what thread I was in. I just took offense to the over 60 comment.
Nothing wrong with being over 60.

Quick Reply: Looking at the Lexus 300h !!