ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Nav Updates

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 06:58 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav Updates

If you read the Lexus ES350/300h Enform page, there is (or, at least, was) an apology for the late update of the Series 7 navigation system maps used in the 2013 ES models. It normally comes out in October so as to be rather current for the new model year. The apology said that it was delayed until January, 2013. The dealer has the update now. I suggested that since it was due out when I received my new 2013 ES300h, I'm assuming that my update will be complimentary. They said the update data price is $169.00, but the service department has to do the installation. Something to do with the update download requiring a dual connection (OBD II & USB, I think). I then asked what the bottom-line is for the upgrade. The response was, $350.00! That my friend is a gross rip-off, particularly when our map data was already over a year old and overdue the revision!
Old 02-12-13, 08:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gfr1
If you read the Lexus ES350/300h Enform page, there is (or, at least, was) an apology for the late update of the Series 7 navigation system maps used in the 2013 ES models. It normally comes out in October so as to be rather current for the new model year. The apology said that it was delayed until January, 2013. The dealer has the update now. I suggested that since it was due out when I received my new 2013 ES300h, I'm assuming that my update will be complimentary. They said the update data price is $169.00, but the service department has to do the installation. Something to do with the update download requiring a dual connection (OBD II & USB, I think). I then asked what the bottom-line is for the upgrade. The response was, $350.00! That my friend is a gross rip-off, particularly when our map data was already over a year old and overdue the revision!
I agree. It is a ripoff. Some members have recieved the update for around $300 total, but still a ripoff. Wiith all of the competiton from portable units and phones it's a wonder the updates are still that high.
Old 02-12-13, 08:56 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

90% of time I use google maps to find locations since businesses close and open all the time. I just use the car's nav to actually guide me to the address.
Old 02-12-13, 09:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Call Lexus Corporate and complain. When I bought my 2008 F, the 2009 Update had been issued (DVD). The dealer couldn't help. They advised that I call Lexus Corporate, I did, and got the update for zero $.

Lou
Old 02-12-13, 11:25 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

" it's a wonder the updates are still that high."

Its a LEXUS!

Typically POI are the 'major' part of updates from year to year. If there is any cost involved, you might want to wait another update or two where you might actually see a difference in the maps.
Old 02-13-13, 05:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ElliotB
" it's a wonder the updates are still that high."

Its a LEXUS!

Typically POI are the 'major' part of updates from year to year. If there is any cost involved, you might want to wait another update or two where you might actually see a difference in the maps.
With my 2010 I waited for 2 or 3 updates and was going to update before deciding to trade in the car.

We now have an Audi which has Google Maps, Street View, online POI's etc. They work well but after the trial period there is monthly fee for the data etc.
Old 02-13-13, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I personally am extra frustrated about this update because of a new highway in our area. Its on the new map data, but not on the older maps installed in my GS. I assumed when I bought a 2013 model car I would have the latest maps.

To spend $300 to upgrade now sucks
Old 02-13-13, 09:40 AM
a310pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah we know its a LEXUS. But its not a lexus when it comes to keeping up with the competition. YES charge me $300 bucks but don't give me 90's style GPS.

Not a lexus when NAV is the same as in Toyota models. as soon as nav screen comes on. I feel like we are back in toyota.

Where is 3D ?
How about silk smooth tracking even when turning. ?

Anyway- I just wanted to put this out - incase someone is listening.

Gotta up the game and make NAV/enform part of the "perfection". Audi/BMW/Cadillac even Accord style is cooler than enform. (my opinion off course)
Old 02-13-13, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Actually the Toyota nav is completely different nowadays. I almost feel like they downgraded the Toyota nav just to make the Lexus nav look better.

Personally, I don't have any problems with the Lexus nav...
Old 02-13-13, 11:46 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a310pilot
Yeah we know its a LEXUS. But its not a lexus when it comes to keeping up with the competition. YES charge me $300 bucks but don't give me 90's style GPS.
Where is 3D ?
How about silk smooth tracking even when turning. ?
Gotta up the game and make NAV/enform part of the "perfection". Audi/BMW/Cadillac even Accord style is cooler than enform. (my opinion off course)
I second this, the Lexus Nav system is really behind when it comes to polish, speed and features. I haven't seen the latest system from Honda, but BMW's iDrive from 2 years ago beats the current system in the '13 Lexus in the three areas I mentioned.
Old 02-13-13, 01:13 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

I'm attending a Lexus instructional meeting tonite, Wednesday 2-13, for new owners, and plan to bring this issue up to whoever is doing the seminar. My 350 falls into this category and I depend on the NAV system for information. IMO the update should be provided for free with installation included. This is a premium car and buyers should receive premium service. I appreciate that you posted this GFR1 and I think all should make a call to Lexus and complain.
Old 02-13-13, 01:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Especially given the fact that the GPS update is delayed and we're getting the maps now that should have been out when our cars were manufactured.
Old 02-13-13, 02:30 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I checked the Lexus Enform web site and the apology is still posted as of 5:30PM EST.
Old 02-14-13, 08:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'm attending a Lexus instructional meeting tonite, Wednesday 2-13, for new owners, and plan to bring this issue up to whoever is doing the seminar. My 350 falls into this category and I depend on the NAV system for information. IMO the update should be provided for free with installation included. This is a premium car and buyers should receive premium service. I appreciate that you posted this GFR1 and I think all should make a call to Lexus and complain.
Well I'm happy to report that at the new Lexus owner's meeting last evening, Wednesday, I approached the Service Manager and asked about receiving the NAV update - free - due to the delay from October. After explaining the apology posting on the Lexus Enform web site, he agreed to install the update - 12.1 - free of charge the next time I come in for service. So those of you out there that bought cars between October and January and want this, it is possible.
Old 02-14-13, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bc6152
Well I'm happy to report that at the new Lexus owner's meeting last evening, Wednesday, I approached the Service Manager and asked about receiving the NAV update - free - due to the delay from October. After explaining the apology posting on the Lexus Enform web site, he agreed to install the update - 12.1 - free of charge the next time I come in for service. So those of you out there that bought cars between October and January and want this, it is possible.
Great news. You might want to take the car in as soon as possible while the SM's offer is still top of mind.

Quick Reply: Nav Updates