Car starter for ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 03:27 AM
Creid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starter for ES 300h

Hello All,

So I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys on the OEM car starter for this car.

Does anyone have it, or know any details about it?

I spoke with my dealer, and they said they can install a car starter, but its not the OEM one ,so I would have 2 key fobs instead of 1.

Anyway any information you guys know would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-13, 04:32 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Start here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=7717869

Or actually search for threads that other people have started. I saw this one on THE FIRST PAGE.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=7718812

Last edited by uicandrew; 01-23-13 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 06:34 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts
Default 300 car starter

Originally Posted by Creid
Hello All,

So I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys on the OEM car starter for this car.

I spoke with my dealer, and they said they can install a car starter, but its not the OEM one ,so I would have 2 key fobs instead of 1.

First off, I don't know why the dealer can't install a factory remote starter. I have a 2013 ES350 and considered installing an OEM remote on my car until I found out it would cost $700.00. Then I found out that the range on the OEM is very poor per many complaints on this forum. Add to this that if you got an aftermarket remote, you'd need 2 key fobs and the aftermarket can't unlock the trunk by remote. I'm still looking around for a suitable remote starter system that can be used with the Lexus key fob. Hoping there's one out there. IMO Lexus dropped the ball on this issue.
Old 01-23-13, 07:31 AM
Slackbus
Driver

In Canada, the starter is not an option at the dealership. Mine went as far to say that remote starters are too damaging to the car. That being said, I'm still considering one with long range (e.g. Viper). I'm ok with 2 key fobs, I don't want to use remote start most times, just to/from work in the extreme winter and summer.
Old 01-23-13, 09:51 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the point of remote starting is to warm up the car? (and oil) [in Fla we want to pre-cool them]

Does that even work on a hybrid?
when I just sit in the car, it starts then shuts down after a minute. so whats the point? does it use an electric heater? or there's an override in the control to keep the engine running....
Old 01-23-13, 11:17 AM
Slackbus
Driver

The point of remote start is comfort [personally].

In my experience in the cold, if the heating system is working hard (like at startup) the car keeps the engine running to keep up with the high demand. It's all handled by the car's control systems. If it doesn't need to run the engine, it won't.
Old 01-23-13, 07:04 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, that makes sense. probably the only way to get heat would be through the engine's water jacket

someday I may actually use the heat......
Old 11-13-13, 05:10 PM
Amy19355
Driver School Candidate

My dealer said there were supposed to be improvemevus to the antennas intdhe car that would improve the range, but he couldnt say for sure if it was going to be better than the aftermarket model. He agreed that reported experience seems to favor the aftermarket model. Re warranty interference, he said there could be the chance of a claim denied because of some problem that could have root cause in an aftermarket dvice installed outsode the dealership. His advice was to assess my confidence in the aftermarket guy's skill and reputation against the higher cost of the brand name part, and not to forget the pick up and delivery with loaner service offered by the dealership.
I went with the aftermarket and saved $200 and supported a local small business who has done right by my honda Ridgeline for 6 years.

I have no care about carrying an extra little chunk on the key ring; it all rdes in my purse.

Happy wheels on the road,
Amy
Old 11-13-13, 05:30 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
the point of remote starting is to warm up the car? (and oil) [in Fla we want to pre-cool them]

Does that even work on a hybrid?
when I just sit in the car, it starts then shuts down after a minute. so whats the point? does it use an electric heater? or there's an override in the control to keep the engine running....
If you leave the heater on, the engine will stay on till it is warm. That how it works best with the remote starter. If the heater is not left on you are right after a minute the engine shuts off.

Last edited by Idlefree; 11-13-13 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 06:01 PM
imz14u2nv
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Creid
Hello All,

Hi Creid,
I have some experience with this one.
Ok, so I recently traded my 2007 ES350 Ultra Luxury for a 2013 ES350 Ultra Luxury.

When I purchased the 2007, I had the Lexus Dealer install the aftermarket remote starter (They sent it out to one of the local audio shops, great shop just not Lexus), the whole transaction was handled through the dealer. The remote start was very nice as everything worked as I expected: Yes, it had a second key fob, which I didn’t like but got used to. It started the car and as long as I had the original fob when entering the vehicle, the car would remain running if you put your foot on the brake within 30 seconds. The dealer said when I asked; that the 2007 could not have a single remote fob, though the RX could. I had to accept it and move on.

Now comes the 2013, first thing I asked the dealer was if I could have a single remote fob if I got remote start, I was thrilled when he said yes, single fob!!

They gave me an “We Owe You Slip” and I made the appointment to have the remote start installed, when I received the car, I was disappointed when the dealer explained how it would work: You remote start the car with the fob, I have seen complaints about the distance but it really doesn’t seem any different than the aftermarket one that was on my 2007. The thing that I don’t like though is the fact that whenever you go to the car and touch the handle to open the door, the car will shut off, remember on the aftermarket one, you just press the brake within 30 seconds, on the OEM Factory Remote Start, the car always shuts off….No If’s Ands or Buts’, it always shuts off (You actually have to start it again) and that Sucks To No End. Third Party’s can do it but Lexus cant. WOW!!!!

I would never want a car without Auto Start so I had to Suck it Up!!!

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-13, 07:06 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by imz14u2nv
Hi Creid,
Third Party’s can do it but Lexus cant. WOW!!!!

I would never want a car without Auto Start so I had to Suck it Up!!!

Hope this helps.
I don't understand why this situation exists. My wife just bought a 2014 Honda and the situation is much the same with their remote. Two FOBS, poor range. I'm very disappointed that Lexus - uhhh Toyota, can't come up with an acceptable remote start. I hope that someone is seeing all these complaints. The real downer here is that the higher quality aftermarket companies products can't be integrated into the Lexus system w/o possibly risking warranty issues.
Old 11-13-13, 07:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry if this has been covered, but the new Avalon offers remote start with a MSRP of $499. does anyone know how this system works? Under the skin, the Avalon and ES are virtually the same. Why isn't it offered on the ES?
Old 11-13-13, 08:05 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my dealer install the remote starter (genuine Lexus). It is the system that would have been installed had I ordered the option from the factory. It works with the original remote that my car came with.
Old 11-14-13, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I have the OEM Remote starter, I hate it. The range sucks, its impossible to get it to work and know that its worked without looking at the car, and as soon as you open the door...the car stops.

Contrast this to our Jeep which requires a simple double button press and it works from a long distance, and the car stays on until you get in, hit the brake and press the start button, then it transfers over to full start mode without switching off.

We use the remote start on the Jeep all the time, but never on the Lexus because its just not practical. It came on my car but I wouldn't pay a dollar for it after the fact, much better off with an aftermarket system.
Old 11-14-13, 11:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Sorry if this has been covered, but the new Avalon offers remote start with a MSRP of $499. does anyone know how this system works? Under the skin, the Avalon and ES are virtually the same. Why isn't it offered on the ES?
It is offered on the ES, for the same price. I'm sure the Avalon's sucks just as much as my factory installed RES.

Quick Reply: Car starter for ES 300h