ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Radio Only

Old 01-15-13, 08:42 AM
cliyeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Only

Got the es300h. Love the car. But was wondering how to go about just powering it on w/ just the radio, and not start the car itself. I've done the start button w/o stepping on the brake. Is that the correct way? Also when I do so, car will auto-power down after 20 min. Anyway to prolong that? Sometimes sitting in car waiting and it's longer than 30 mins.

Thanks,
Cliyeh
Old 01-15-13, 09:20 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Wow. Waiting for over 30 minutes? I'd rather get out of the car and stretch my legs.

The danger in leaving the car on like that is draining the batteries. You're not powering just the radio but all the speakers and subwoofer.
Old 01-15-13, 10:35 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's the same with all the Lexus/Toyota hybrids. Jumping the car with a dead 12v (requires more precautions) is not as easy as a non-hybrid. By design, the accessory mode is designed to shut down earlier than you're used to. It's a good thing.
Originally Posted by cliyeh
Got the es300h. Love the car. But was wondering how to go about just powering it on w/ just the radio, and not start the car itself. I've done the start button w/o stepping on the brake. Is that the correct way? Also when I do so, car will auto-power down after 20 min. Anyway to prolong that? Sometimes sitting in car waiting and it's longer than 30 mins.

Thanks,
Cliyeh

Last edited by Cruiter; 01-15-13 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-15-13, 10:46 AM
NCHybrid
Driver School Candidate

I got the auto power off this weekend when I was programming in all my presets, apps, nav info,etc. I panicked at first thinking that I had drained the batteries too far. Then I checked the battery level which was still strong and realized the designers of this car are going to make it pretty hard to screw things up.
Old 01-15-13, 12:04 PM
cliyeh
Driver School Candidate

thank you for the clarification
Old 01-16-13, 06:16 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

But it should be noted that there are 2 batteries. The hybrid battery whose level shows up on the screens.

There's also the regular car battery that powers the other things like radio, etc, just like any other car, hybrid or not. You should be worried about draining the regular car battery. There's no readout on our screens that will tell you what THAT level is.
Old 01-16-13, 08:39 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good point about the two batteries. However, the regular battery that powers the radio isn't too different from regular cars and the radio shouldn't drain it too much? I like to listen to my radio when I have to wait for whatever, and shutting down after 20 minutes is not convenient.
Old 01-16-13, 01:13 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In the hybrid's the 12v is much smaller. In my RX 450h it looks like a motor cycle size battery. It just has to run the electronic stuff but not turn the engine over. All the same, it still drains faster.
Originally Posted by Arty101
Good point about the two batteries. However, the regular battery that powers the radio isn't too different from regular cars and the radio shouldn't drain it too much? I like to listen to my radio when I have to wait for whatever, and shutting down after 20 minutes is not convenient.
Old 01-16-13, 01:50 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know the radio takes some juice, but starting the engine and lights take a lot more juice. To be safe, I'll heed your advice and use the radio at a minimum when the engine isn't running. .
Old 01-25-13, 05:16 PM
UTAS
Driver

[Remember, the Toyota system has two batteries: a conventional 12-volt battery used only to start the system, and the main NiMH (nickel metal hydride) battery.

Read more: What to Do When Your Hybrid Car's Battery Dies - Popular Mechanics ]
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...s-battery-dies

My suggestion: If one must listen to the radio, media, etc., and worry about battery level (this would be the NiMH battery, not the lead acid battery used solely for starting the gasoline engine), then use the entertainment system after actually starting the car. The motor will automatically start, when the NiMH battery requires it - the radio will not require much power. The chances of the lead acid starter battery failing to start the hybrid are slim, as long as normal maintenance is followed.
Old 01-25-13, 06:18 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UTAS
[Remember, the Toyota system has two batteries: a conventional 12-volt battery used only to start the system, and the main NiMH (nickel metal hydride) battery.

Read more: What to Do When Your Hybrid Car's Battery Dies - Popular Mechanics ]
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...s-battery-dies

My suggestion: If one must listen to the radio, media, etc., and worry about battery level (this would be the NiMH battery, not the lead acid battery used solely for starting the gasoline engine), then use the entertainment system after actually starting the car. The motor will automatically start, when the NiMH battery requires it - the radio will not require much power. The chances of the lead acid starter battery failing to start the hybrid are slim, as long as normal maintenance is followed.
You pretty much have it all backwards! The large hi-voltage battery powers the hybrid drive motors, starts the engine via the motor-generator, runs A/C compressor, plus powers a couple of things in the hybrid system. Otherwise, the 12V. aux. battery powers the car electric systems (incl. the required power to activate the engine start system), a/c & heater blower system, audio/video systems, interior & exterior lights, just as the standard vehicles do.

If you want to have 12v power to listen to the radio, set up your nav and systems, I suggest that you get a auxiliary AGM jumper battery, with an accessory plug in it. The accessory plug on the rear of the console is on the same circuit as the audio/nav and setup systems. Find/make a (dual male) cord that plugs into the battery and the accessory plug. Keep that charged and you'll have hours of available 12v time, if you don't use headlights or some such high consumption accessory. If you leave the jumper battery on the rear floor boards, you'll have to unplug the battery to shut down the screen and systems. Or, you can put an in-line switch on that cord (on one wire, but enclose both) and turn it on or off. If you turn it on, the car will recharge the battery while driving. The you can use aux "Y"-plugs before or behind the switch to power other items, like a smart phone, to be powered by the battery, or the vehicle electrical system, depending on which side of the switch you place the "Y". I've had this on for hours and it still read over 13v.
Old 01-25-13, 06:54 PM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by gfr1
You pretty much have it all backwards! The large hi-voltage battery powers the hybrid drive motors, starts the engine via the motor-generator, runs A/C compressor, plus powers a couple of things in the hybrid system. Otherwise, the 12V. aux. battery powers the car electric systems (incl. the required power to activate the engine start system), a/c & heater blower system, audio/video systems, interior & exterior lights, just as the standard vehicles do.

If you want to have 12v power to listen to the radio, set up your nav and systems, I suggest that you get a auxiliary AGM jumper battery, with an accessory plug in it. The accessory plug on the rear of the console is on the same circuit as the audio/nav and setup systems. Find/make a (dual male) cord that plugs into the battery and the accessory plug. Keep that charged and you'll have hours of available 12v time, if you don't use headlights or some such high consumption accessory. If you leave the jumper battery on the rear floor boards, you'll have to unplug the battery to shut down the screen and systems. Or, you can put an in-line switch on that cord (on one wire, but enclose both) and turn it on or off. If you turn it on, the car will recharge the battery while driving. The you can use aux "Y"-plugs before or behind the switch to power other items, like a smart phone, to be powered by the battery, or the vehicle electrical system, depending on which side of the switch you place the "Y". I've had this on for hours and it still read over 13v.
Thank you for that insight - would also guess that Popular Mechanics has it backwards, too. Agree with the rest - 12 volt battery is for the auxiliary systems, computer, etc.

But I would not suggest that Cliyeh do this modification for the sake of running things while in accessory mode.
Old 01-25-13, 09:42 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the auto shut off is potentially a good feature and is probably meant to avoid draining the battery if you accidentally leave the vehicle on. Interestingly, if you leave the headlights on (turned on manually, not AUTO), they will not shut off automatically. In my previous ES and other Toyota vehicles, they would shut off automatically after a short period of time.
Old 01-26-13, 08:35 AM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UTAS -- Are you saying that you are agreeing with Popular Mechanics in deference to Lexus, as to the battery circuits? That's where the info came from.
Old 01-26-13, 08:53 AM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by gfr1
UTAS -- Are you saying that you are agreeing with Popular Mechanics in deference to Lexus, as to the battery circuits? That's where the info came from.
Not to get into a peeing contest with you: To restate the PM article, they apparently mis-wrote the abilities and design of the Toyota hybrids.

I was agreeing with your analysis re: 12 volt battery vs NiMH reasons for existing.

I still would not suggest your fix to a new owner. Have a good day.