ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ML Audio - Are you happy with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 04:32 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice setup! Wow!!!!

I had my factory subwoofer changed today by my local Lexus dealer. The tech said that the original was indeed a ML, as was the replacement. The sound is perhaps better, but it is hard to tell. The service writer and I sat in the car and did some testing after the installation . We did hear some distortion at very, very high volume with the bass turned up all the way on some very high bass intensive music - BUT I think the volume level that the distortion appeared was much higher than previous, as was the bass level. It appears better but it will take a few days for me to know for sure.

I would like some 'thumping' bass but am not willing to give up half my trunk to do so. Are there any options?
Old 01-22-13, 06:51 PM
RTSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sub is very narrow which is why I choose it. It is only 8" deep and fits nicely up against the rear seat. I need the trunk space for my son's walker and other special needs equip. so space was important to me as well. JL does sell a dual 8" sub (ported) that is even more narrow, I think it is only 6" deep however it is more expensive as it has the higher grade woofers and is much heavier. I did not think the extra cash was worth it for me, however try them and and decide on your own. While not the best sub, the model I choose gives me plenty of bass and the best of space and flexibility. Note that I did try the JL HO ported single 10" sub however there was a gap in where the ML sub drops off and the JL HO ported sub picked up, it had super low end bass but the gap in the mid bass made me change my mind. This sub has more mid bass and fits sonically very well with the factory ML audio so I'm happy. I only wanted to enhance the bass of the ML system not wake the neighbors or win a sub contest. Having said this this sub is no slouch and I'm very happy with the results. The dual 8" is very nice as well, both are great choices if you need trunk space try them out. Before I did the install on my own a installer recommended doing a custom box on the left side near the tail lights that would take up some space on the left but leave the depth of the trunk. Doing installs on my own I just couldn't see spending several hundred dollars on a install that I knew I could do on my own and knowing sometimes installers have to push through many cars in a day and may cut back on quality connections and care to your car's interior. Adding a load sub is pretty easy if you know a few things about installs and completes the ML system, best of luck to all forum members.
Old 01-23-13, 03:40 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

RTSM, can the factory sub be replaced with a better speaker?

How does the lack of an opening between the trunk and the car's interior affect how the setup you have works?
Old 01-23-13, 07:55 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I spoke with my service writer this morning and he suggested I contact Lexus directly, which I did. I will post an update once I hear from them.

While this system is very good, IMHO, it is not Lexuslike... I suspect I will have to upgrade as RTSM has done.
Old 01-23-13, 07:52 PM
RTSM
Driver

I'm not an audio expert but just a enthusiast so there are probably more qualified audio experts in our form that can provide more details. From my experience the ML system is quite unique and runs at a different "ohm" rating then most readily available speakers so replacing your ML sub would probably mean replacing it with a third party "free air" woofer that would have to run on a separate amp to match the impedance. Sub frequencies are non directional so the effect of the sub in the trunk is somewhat limited but I can tell you that what I installed is completely effective and I have the amp gain all the way down so the sub being separated in the trunk is not an issue. If I open the arm rest access to the trunk it improves the sound somewhat but I am completely happy with what I am getting, some times it can be over powering (depending on the source material) so no problem. I found that the signal to the sub is somewhat non linear meaning that it does not always send a signal only when a sub frequency is present, while most cross overs perform this task I have not experienced this dramatic of a cut-off in other cars I have installed in such as the Monsoon and bose car audio systems. I tried LOC's but the only one that worked for me was the Audio Control LC2 with a switched trigger turn-on lead off of the cigarette lighter. Tips, measure your trunk spaces first to determine what size box you want to install so you can decide how much space you want to give up, for me I could not give up much space so this was important to me. For others this may not be an issue. Also decide on where you want to place your amp and electronics and walk through where the wiring will go and estimate the length of power, ground and other cables you will need. I used a Rockford Fosgate 12 gauge cable that came in a 16' length that was inches from being too short so make sure you get this right. Choose good quality products, there are a lot of products out there so be careful on what you choose. I hope this helps and that other forum members can help out on this issue. Best of luck.
Old 01-23-13, 09:37 PM
jmaloneydo
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Nice work on that sub install and good advice as well. I recently drove home in a 2013 ES 300h and I'm already itching to switch out the factory sub for something with a little more "kick". My wife thinks I'm crazy, the car is only 2 weeks old and I already want to take half of it apart! I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
Old 01-24-13, 04:36 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had it confirmed by dealer that my ML sub was blown. Part is on order and should be in tomorrow. We'll see if it sounds any better with the new one. I am disappointed, not what I expected when paying for the ML.

Last edited by LisaES350; 01-24-13 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-25-13, 04:51 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

A salesman once told me that these name brand premium systems are just marketing to get you to get the higher equipped model. By reading your comments on the ML, I think this is a perfect example. I also heard that a lot of premium stock systems are made by different manufacturers and only part of the system like the sub, or a set of speakers are actually manufactured by that premium brand.
Old 01-25-13, 05:47 PM
LisaES350
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
A salesman once told me that these name brand premium systems are just marketing to get you to get the higher equipped model. By reading your comments on the ML, I think this is a perfect example. I also heard that a lot of premium stock systems are made by different manufacturers and only part of the system like the sub, or a set of speakers are actually manufactured by that premium brand.
I would have still gone with the ML as I wanted the bigger screen and other options it came with. It sounds good but I really like bass! It can't handle some of the reggae that I throw at it. I just have to accept that it's not a custom job.I may think about getting a larger subwoofer (I'd love a 12") if done just right. No jimmy rig job. I had an Expedition with 2-12" subs so I guess I am really feeling the downgrade...
Old 01-25-13, 06:08 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LisaES350
I would have still gone with the ML as I wanted the bigger screen and other options it came with. It sounds good but I really like bass! It can't handle some of the reggae that I throw at it. I just have to accept that it's not a custom job.I may think about getting a larger subwoofer (I'd love a 12") if done just right. No jimmy rig job. I had an Expedition with 2-12" subs so I guess I am really feeling the downgrade...
I love bass as well. I have my 12" sub from my last car laying around. I'll get it put in eventually. But this time, I want a cleaner install to where the sub fires through the armrest and the box is hidden while looking into the trunk. This is my first Lexus and I don't wanna do anything cheap.
Old 01-25-13, 09:36 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

"just marketing to get you to get the higher equipped model"

LexRuger, I have owned several vehicles with high end audio and they have all been exceptional, including the one on another Lexus vehicle I currently own, It is perhaps one of the best factory systems I have heard and is a pleasure to listen to, and there is no distortion at any volume or any setting on any type of music. This particular one is a big disappointment. I am obviously not alone in my opinion of it.
Old 01-26-13, 09:10 AM
Slackbus
Driver

I am surprised that there is not a better DSP in the car. Even Toyota's can add a Bongiovi DSP dealer installed, and reviews have been positive. It essentially tunes the sound to the environment. And with a car being a fixed space, it could be done very well. I think a lot of the sins of the low end could have been fixed with better tuning. Anyone who's heard really good room correction DSPs know it can make a great impact (e.g. the newest Audyssey version, or even better Anthem's Room Correction).

It would still be a little underpowered, but much cleaner and less high and low spots.
Old 01-26-13, 11:19 AM
RTSM
Driver

I agree on the DSP offered, very basic. For what it is worth, for those with a iPod check out the Sonic Max Pro BBE app. This app brought out the performance of the surround speakers tremendously and I won't play songs without it. Check it out, I highly recommended from a ES/ML owner.
Old 01-26-13, 01:34 PM
SaulSch
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Audio System

I've had my Lexus ES350 for only two days, but my immediate impression is that the standard audio system on this car is by far the best I have ever heard. I've owned cars for almost fifty years.

I feel like I'm hearing music for the first time.

SaulSch
Old 01-26-13, 02:13 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaulSch
I've had my Lexus ES350 for only two days, but my immediate impression is that the standard audio system on this car is by far the best I have ever heard. I've owned cars for almost fifty years.

I feel like I'm hearing music for the first time.

SaulSch
The base stereo in my ES has better sound quality and low end than the upgraded Bose in my last car (2010 Maxima). But the base ES stereo does distort a lot at higher volume even with the bass at the default level. In my Maxima, I could turn it up to uncomfortable levels and distortion was very minimal.

Quick Reply: ML Audio - Are you happy with it?