Print Wikipost

HID bulbs for fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 08:40 AM
hdfanatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
As long as the HID kit has low draw ballasts, a relay harness should not be required for the fog lights.

Which "wings" are you referring to?

Steve
The H11 template has 3 inserts that fit into the housing. The VLED LED H11 bulbs would not slide into the fog light housing. Finally narrowed it down to the inserts/wings were slightly too large. I trimmed them down a bit (as they are metal on the VLED bulbs) and they slid into the housing without issue.
Old 09-16-13, 08:44 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Weird: NO trimming is required with our H11 bulbs.

Steve
Old 09-16-13, 07:47 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hdfanatic
The H11 template has 3 inserts that fit into the housing. The VLED LED H11 bulbs would not slide into the fog light housing. Finally narrowed it down to the inserts/wings were slightly too large. I trimmed them down a bit (as they are metal on the VLED bulbs) and they slid into the housing without issue.
Like I said...major PITA. I was able to trim the wingss BUT if you trim them too much you will not have a snug fit when you finally twist them in. After numerous tries of trim then test fit, then trim then test fit, then trim then test fit...you get the idea. I was able to get the one to fit snug. However, I lost patience with the 2nd one and forced it in;too tight...most definitely will have to replace the fog light housing on this one if and when I have to replace the LED
Old 09-19-13, 12:04 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
Like I said...major PITA. I was able to trim the wingss BUT if you trim them too much you will not have a snug fit when you finally twist them in. After numerous tries of trim then test fit, then trim then test fit, then trim then test fit...you get the idea. I was able to get the one to fit snug. However, I lost patience with the 2nd one and forced it in;too tight...most definitely will have to replace the fog light housing on this one if and when I have to replace the LED
Darn, I was hoping for an easier LED install. Doesn't sound promising, especially if you might have messed up the housing.
Old 09-19-13, 05:33 AM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by hdfanatic
I didn't have to trim my LED's from Vled to get them in…..I think that when installing them they have to be sitting pretty much level and flat up against the housing openings before you lock them in. Once I got them in and aligned they turned without any force. Love the Led bulbs. Makes a world of difference to the face of the car.

I had originally purchased the ebay hid's, and never installed them. but after reading some posts, I went and purchased LED's from Vled.

Last edited by A320pilot; 09-21-13 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 09:22 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Yes... trimming should not be required with H11 LED bulbs.

Steve
Old 09-25-13, 06:15 PM
thermo
Driver School Candidate

If I purchase the H11 bulbs to replace the fog lamps on my 2013 es350, would I have to also purchase a kit or would the new bulbs just plug in? Also, seems like the 5000 is the way to go? Thanks
Old 09-26-13, 06:49 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi,

5000k would be the way to go if you want a perfect match to your OEM HID low beams.

You would need to purchase HID kit ballasts w/ igniters in order to power the HID bulbs.

Steve
Old 09-26-13, 08:14 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi,

5000k would be the way to go if you want a perfect match to your OEM HID low beams.

You would need to purchase HID kit ballasts w/ igniters in order to power the HID bulbs.

Steve
I believe thermo was referring to the H11 LED bulb you referred him to. If he were to purchase that instead of the HID kit, would the bulb simply be plug and play without a igniter?
Old 09-26-13, 08:22 AM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tabs should not have been trimmed. I installed the Vled bulbs and all I had to was bend the tabs forward a tiny bit. The tabs are flat and have a very small lip that allows them to "bite" the housing to get them to slide in and the tabs put pressure on the plastic. The small amount of lip was not enough to allow them to twist. So thats why I bent them in a tad. Went in like butter. Much better then HID and does not have any glare on oncoming traffic.
Sorry here is the thread to the V-Led install.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...installed.html
Carry on HID people !
Old 09-26-13, 09:01 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Brozee: Correct! The H11 LED bulbs would just plug in. No modification, trimming, etc.

Steve
Old 09-26-13, 07:30 PM
thermo
Driver School Candidate

Xenon and Brozee, I should have made myself clear. Just wondering if I could just plug those HID LED blubs in without installing any additional hardware. Thank you both for your help.
Old 09-27-13, 05:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by thermo
Xenon and Brozee, I should have made myself clear. Just wondering if I could just plug those HID LED blubs in without installing any additional hardware. Thank you both for your help.
HID, no. LED, yes.
Old 09-27-13, 08:40 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thermo
The LED bulbs would be a direct replacement and the HID bulbs would require a ballast as well but it would still be a plug and play installation.

Danny

Last edited by XenonDepot; 09-27-13 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 03:46 PM
thermo
Driver School Candidate

Installed my new LED fog light bulbs today, they look great.
Thanks guys for your help.

Quick Reply: HID bulbs for fog lights