ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Jailbreak Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 05:01 PM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jailbreak Nav

The new nav recognizes apps. Every phone on the market has a OS hack. When will there be a hack for the NAV. Or better yet who's idea was it to make the apps work as remote access to your phone. Would it have not been easier to make the NAV OS use the apps directly. If Enform can push data then to push an app should be a no brainier. Ford partnered with Microsoft, and from what I here the plan is to integrate Ford Sync with windows 8. why has android or apple not jumped on the ban wagon. Why reinvent the wheel. Even better since the electronics are becoming a major part of a car. Why not market head units like they do phones, or tables. With the hardware able to run different operating system and use different carriers. the carrier in this example would be the car manufacture. Even better be able to plug you current pad into your car and install the cars interface app. That seems to be what Enform is trying to do, it's just a lousy design. All info about the car is available through the port used for diagnostics. Pass that into the tablet usb port. The app would know how to decode the signals. You could then have access to prior periods or the cars diagnostics which could the warn when it notices a significant change in performance. You could then add app that would let you know where your car has been (I have teenagers). You could then merge MPG stats with topography and get a better picture why there is MPG fluctuation. The interfaces would be endless and would not depend on the car manufacture. If nothing else you could personalize the interface to what works for you, just like you do on your tablet. Even if the manufacture does not do this, when will some third party crate an app that integrates your tablet to the cars diagnostic port.
Old 12-17-12, 05:29 PM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

FYI was told they do make OBD apps that work on some cars. Has anyone tried one on the 2013 ES300H????
Old 12-18-12, 10:53 AM
ALIGN
Driver

Phones and other devices are easy because you can easily hook them up on a PC download the files and break into the codes. On cars it's different, you will need the Lexus computer to tap it into the OBD2 connection and see how they up date it's firmware. This is similar to Mercedes Benz STAR Diagnosis computer they use at the dealership. With this computer you can basically modify everything, every settings in the car. Heck they were able to lower my car's airmatic suspension to what ever right height I wanted.

I've seen all the options and settings available and yes it will be very easy for the hacker to modify the system. The question is, will the hacker sacrifice his own car for this hack? Not worth it for him to do this. If you brick your ECU or NAV you're looking at more than $3-4000 to replace it. Unlike phones, they can sacrifice a
$600 and sell you the hack firmware.

If someone works at the dealership and possibly clone the computer harddrive they use, I would be very interested in that. You can see this stuff being sold on ebay coming from China. They have it available on most german cars, seems like japanese cars are late in the game. They're just catching up with european standards.
Old 12-18-12, 11:10 AM
ALIGN
Driver

The downside of a hacker hacking into your cars computer. NYTIMES
Old 07-27-14, 12:05 PM
dasadler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hack solutions

Okay, on reviewing the discussions of NAV motion bypass systems, it seems there are two in common use. They are:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nav-dvd-...us/bb6223.html

and

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=1188

Has anyone seen any comparison of these two systems? The price difference is only $60 but one of them (Prestigious Society product) apparently loses the map while the bypass system is activated and regains it once the system is deactivated. Not a deal killer but something of which you should be aware.

I want to have such a system installed on our newest Lexus and seek the collective wisdom of this group as to which product is best.