Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300H Sunglass Holder

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 07:07 PM
cliyeh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300H Sunglass Holder

Just got my ES300H. Is there a sunglass holder in the new ES300H? For some reason I just can't find it.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-12, 07:53 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't believe there is a sunglass holder in the the new ES and having had one in my prior two cars and never using it I did not even notice it was missing until just today.

Dave Mac
Old 12-13-12, 07:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Nope. None in the new GS either. Bummer
Old 12-14-12, 06:25 AM
Chardo
Driver School Candidate

I have had holders go unused in several previous cars. I have yet to see one that actually holds most sunglasses. They are fine for smaller frames that fold flat, but larger or curved frames usually don't fit.
Old 12-14-12, 06:57 AM
Slackbus
Driver

My previous gen Camry held larger sunglasses no problem... its a feature I really miss on the ES the most, actually.
Old 12-14-12, 07:29 AM
Mike218
Rookie

Really? No sunglass holder? That is a feature everyone talks about on my TSX!

It won't stop me from buying the ES, but upsetting that its not there
Old 12-14-12, 07:33 AM
CurryPot
Driver

One less thing to rattle. Not defending Lexus here, but I never used it in other cars for glasses.
Old 12-14-12, 07:57 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

I use it all the time in my 06 GS and have in all my previous cars. I will miss it. My car will not arrive until January, I wonder if the tray in the center console will do the trick?
Old 12-14-12, 01:40 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I have a pair of oakleys that fit in the tray in the center console (in the brochure, you see that they put the phone there. The oakleys never fit in the sunglasses compartment in my 09 Camry hybrid, so it's a nice dedicated area where they won't get scratched up by other things.

And oakleys aren't exactly the most compact sunglasses either
Old 12-14-12, 01:59 PM
jollick
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by uicandrew
I have a pair of oakleys that fit in the tray in the center console (in the brochure, you see that they put the phone there. The oakleys never fit in the sunglasses compartment in my 09 Camry hybrid, so it's a nice dedicated area where they won't get scratched up by other things.

uicandrew, nice to know, thank you. It looks like they thought about sunglasses after all.
Old 12-14-12, 03:03 PM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uicandrew

HA! Same here -- Oakley's! I was also surprised to find there wasn't a sunglasses holder in my ES, as I used mine all the time in my '09 Camry........I also found the tray in the center console works perfectly!
Old 12-14-12, 06:43 PM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by cliyeh
Just got my ES300H. Is there a sunglass holder in the new ES300H? For some reason I just can't find it.

Thanks.
Nope. And no compass in the mirror, if the navigation system is purchased. What else: cannot get the driver seat extender unless the ultra luxury package is purchased; and the auto hi-beams are special order, if purchasing the ultra luxury package.

Conundrums abound in 2013 on the ES model. All three of these features should come standard, along with the overhead sunglass holder.
Old 12-14-12, 09:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

There isn't a compass in the mirror because its in the upper left corner of the navigation screen.

Gotta keep in mind its the entry level car.
Old 12-15-12, 08:53 AM
jollick
Racer

I have had that mirror compass on every Lexus I have owned since 1998 and I do not believe I ever used it for navigation, I always use the navigation screen compass. I thought of it as being redundant, IMHO. Of course since it has been brought up here I may end up missing it.
Old 12-15-12, 09:12 AM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
There isn't a compass in the mirror because its in the upper left corner of the navigation screen.

Gotta keep in mind its the entry level car.
Well, without making excuses for Lexus, I don't think the ES being an entry level car has anything to with it - Lexus decided to cut a cost corner, or the provider (Gentex?) may have had a pile of these without the compass. Whatever.

I traded an Avalon for this ES300h, and the Avalon had the compass in the mirror and navigation system.

It is cumbersome and clumsy to have to open the navigation screen to get direction of movement. Unless unfamiliar directions are needed, I have the navigation system OFF.

Not that we can do anything about it now, the rearview mirror should have the compass on all Lexus'.

Last edited by UTAS; 12-15-12 at 09:16 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: ES300H Sunglass Holder