ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Care for Parchment

Old 12-07-12, 05:24 PM
andywoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Care for Parchment

My routine is keep a bottle of interior cleaner (maguires interior cleaner) and every other day wipe the door jam, and kick panel. I made a heel guard by molding a thin piece of plastic with a hair drier. Anyone out there who has had light interiors developed methods on how to care for it. I am finding the marks are really obvious and stick out like a sore thumb. I can't even imaging what it will look like in a couple of years. The parchment looks really good but it seems to be a lot of work.
Old 12-08-12, 05:45 PM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magic Eraser is your best friend. I have both Meguiars and Magic Eraser and the Magic Eraser is so much easier hands down. I just use one one a week or so - wipe down the door jam, kick panel and behind the driver row of seats - on the plastic. Works like a charm. I wanted the parchment because black interiors just get too hot for my liking.
Old 12-08-12, 06:08 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

So what should be used on the dash? This is my first car with a leather interior so I don't know what to use. I've always used armor all during the summer with my fabric interior Camry but I read that the leather should be taken care of in the winter because it is dry. I live around Chicago so it gets COLD.
Old 12-09-12, 05:32 AM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by uicandrew
So what should be used on the dash? This is my first car with a leather interior so I don't know what to use. I've always used armor all during the summer with my fabric interior Camry but I read that the leather should be taken care of in the winter because it is dry. I live around Chicago so it gets COLD.
I've had leather interiors in your area for many years - beige / parchment color for at least the last six on three different cars. You really do not have to care for it that much, but once in a while (12 months) a light rejuvenator like Armor-All can be used. My advice is to sparingly wipe it on, as opposed to using a direct spray. The dash: Careful not to use a glossy product there, and a micro fiber mitt will catch / clean the dust nicely; and a gentle cleaner like one part vinegar to three parts water will take care of many dirt accumulations. Good for glass, too.

Keep in mind that the more chemicals used, the vapors usually accumulate faster onto the interior glass.

As for shoe scuffs on the entry areas, Johnson's Pledge takes care of most. If it's stubborn, Fabuloso will take care of it. Also, carpet area around the foot rest, driver's side - Oxyclean carpet spot remover handles that quite nicely.

I have weather mats all around to help keep the floor areas free of debris.

I like the recommendation re: Mr Clean eraser for the scuff marks. I'll have to try that.
Old 12-09-12, 07:31 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Although I have not tried them, I have read good reviews about Weiman leather wipes. They are available online as well as most Target stores. I will pick up a container and try them next time I am around a Target.
Old 12-09-12, 10:01 AM
Foredeck
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Have used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for last couple years, works great, after that, a quick shot of any good quality interior detailer and your kick panels will look like new!! Have had parchment/ivory interiors last 6 years and never any problem keeping them looking great.
Old 12-09-12, 10:34 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by uicandrew
I asked my sales guy if the dash was leather, and he didn't think so. Only the seats. Anyone know for sure?
Old 12-10-12, 07:37 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only the middle section of the seats are real leather. The side bolsters, headrest, center console, and dash are a vinyl material. I also suggest that no one use Armor All on your leather seats. It contains a solvent and can marr the finish. There are many good leather cleaners and conditioners on the market. To name only a few: Lexol, Leatherique, Zaino. the leather is coated with a clear coat to protect it. So, you should keep it clean, first and foremost. Once per month use a good leather cleaner. Three to four times per year, use a good leather conditioner. Also, protect your leather against the sun as much as possible. This routine has always kept my parchment leather interiors very nice for years.
Old 12-11-12, 03:56 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any recommendations for the dash, if anything?
Old 12-12-12, 06:43 AM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
Any recommendations for the dash, if anything?
Use a non-gloss leather and vinyl conditioner - a terrible end-result would be a glossy finish on the dash. A long time ago I purchased a detail package from a Toyota dealership, and they detailed the dash and all leather seats, doors, etc., with a relatively shiney product called The Protector; looked great all around, but the glare from the dash was horrendous. It took me several attempts with a light vinegar and water solution to correct the dash. The dash should be dull and non-reflective.

My opinion: Today's cars should not require too much interior care; and one can over-do it by throwing around too many products. Stick with Lexol, Vinylex (which is low gloss), or McGuire's (watch out for the gloss vs flat on McGuire's). 3M makes good automotive products, as well. Take it easy on the dash and perhaps do a small test area before the whole area. Do everything in moderation and it should be good to go.

One more point: My personal cars are parked inside; I roll the windows down a bit after doing any cleaning / conditioning - this will help ventilate vapors that over time would haze the windows. I also do this on new cars to get rid of the factory vapors. FWIW
Old 12-12-12, 07:31 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used Aerospace 303 for protection against UV light. This is good for the dash and any area that needs sun protection. I use this on my wife's SC430 for all the areas that are exposed to the sun when the top is down. They still look like new. I wouldn't spend a lot of time protecting the dash though. It is already well protected from the sun without extra care. How many modern day cars have you seen that had a sun damaged dash?
Old 12-13-12, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

303 Aerospace is too shiny for me...

This is a product I used extensively when I had my parchment interior ES:

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html

They make an awesome interior treatment too that goes on like a paint sealant, no gloss which is what I like:

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-4.html

You can use both on everything, leather, vinyl, etc. The shampoo does a great job removing dye transfer from the seats too.
Old 04-13-13, 02:20 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

SW: Would you recommend the shampoo for removing jeans blue from my Parchment seats?
Old 04-13-13, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Yep, it works very well on that. I used it on my old ES' parchment seats many times to remove dye transfer.
Old 01-10-14, 09:22 PM
MissyBissy
Rookie

Just found this - the parchment interior on my 2014 300h is going to drive me insane. I am wiping it down every day. My daughter had her feet on the ceiling yesterday. Not sure why she would do that but I made her wipe out the scuff marks. The floor mats are a constant battle. Is there anything I can do to win the battle of the floormats?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Care for Parchment