Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2013 Avalon Hybrid or 2013 ES300h Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-12, 02:49 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It appears that before too long, Lexus will switch production of the ES to the U.S. There have been several articles recently covering this subject.

In many ways it makes sense for them to do this.
Most likely the ES would be built in the Lexus Canadian plant along side the RX. The RX sells 2 to 1 compared to the ES. The ES is the most selling sedan Lexus produces.
Old 12-04-12, 05:21 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove the 2013 Avalon the other day (not hybrid) and then drove the ES 350 and they may be on the same platform, but they feel much different. The outside of the Avalon is very nice, but the inside and the way it drives just reminds us too much of our 2012 Camry. Then driving the ES 350, what a difference.

The cabin of the Avalon just feels cheap looking, while the cabin of the ES 350 looks so much more refined.

As you can probably tell, we got the Lexus last night. No regrets, it's much nicer than the Avalon.
Old 12-04-12, 10:57 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Neoxagon
Is it true that Avalons are built in Kentucky while Lexus are built in Japan?
Might be true, but I've owned two USA built Toyotas that were troublefree for upteen miles. So I am confident in Toyotas ability to build reliable cars here in the USA. Likewise I'm confident in Toyota's ability to build troublesome cars in Japan (e.g. the built in Japan 2007 ES350 that had serious transmission issues just like the Kentucky built V6 Camry)

I'd make the Avalon vs ES350 decision based on examining the two cars side by side at an Autoshow; especially the seats. Avalon might have larger, more softy padded seats because it targets an older buyer segment. Then I'd take both cars on a test drive. Avalon might be more softy sprung and have a more compliant, bump absorbing ride. ES350 might feel a little more solid and substantial IF it actually has more structural reinforcements and vibration dampening.

Lookswise I like the ES350 front end. Dislike the wide mouth bass look of the Avalon's front end. With regard to rear ends it amazes me how similar the ES350 and GS350 looks as compared to the Hyundai Sonata. Many times while driving I think I have spotted an 2013 ES350 or GS350 only to later find out it was a Hyundai Sonata!
Old 12-05-12, 05:39 AM
UTAS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Many times while driving I think I have spotted an 2013 ES350 or GS350 only to later find out it was a Hyundai Sonata!
This is because Hyundai is a very prolific copy-cat company. Your observation is spot on - many Korean auto manufacturers seem to mimic the latest entries from their competition. Some have Beamer or Merc-like tail lights; other seem to have front ends that could have been made in Japan or the States.

Whatever sells, they are making inroads.
Old 12-05-12, 05:45 AM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by dspcap
I drove the 2013 Avalon the other day (not hybrid) and then drove the ES 350 and they may be on the same platform, but they feel much different. The outside of the Avalon is very nice, but the inside and the way it drives just reminds us too much of our 2012 Camry. Then driving the ES 350, what a difference.

The cabin of the Avalon just feels cheap looking, while the cabin of the ES 350 looks so much more refined.

As you can probably tell, we got the Lexus last night. No regrets, it's much nicer than the Avalon.
My wife is driving an ES350 as a loaner and said exactly the same thing (we owned an Avalon not too long ago). Fit and finish between the two are major differences, with the ES inside cabin having much more attention to detail, higher end material and noticeably tighter / quieter ride.

You will like the ES350.
Old 12-05-12, 12:28 PM
sanjaysdca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UTAS
This is because Hyundai is a very prolific copy-cat company. Your observation is spot on - many Korean auto manufacturers seem to mimic the latest entries from their competition. Some have Beamer or Merc-like tail lights; other seem to have front ends that could have been made in Japan or the States.

Whatever sells, they are making inroads.
Hyundai Sonnata came to market before 2013 ES

Huyndai as a company may be a copycat but the new designs (Sonata included) are very original..
Old 12-05-12, 06:14 PM
UTAS
Driver

Originally Posted by sanjaysdca
Huyndai as a company may be a copycat but the new designs (Sonata included) are very original..
Yes, this makes sense. Thank you for the correction.
Old 12-06-12, 03:29 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryKK
Toyota/Lexus is not stupid and they must realize that buyers will cross-shop both cars; therefore, I would look at the materials used with each car and the luxury feel of each. I have to believe that the Lexus would win - but that is for you to decide.
You may be right, but let's not forget that Toyota and Lexus are still competing brands. I doubt very much that Toyota would go agree to go cheap on their flagship car just to please the Lexus gang.
Old 12-06-12, 06:20 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I think Toyota still has complimentary maintenance for the first couple years or 36 k miles. We get up to 10k free. But still.....

After driving the es300h now, it's much more apparent the remote touch advantages of not having to lean over to touch the screen. The Avalon still has the touchscreen.
Old 12-06-12, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

They did a segment on the Avalon on Motorweek last night and I watched it. Looks nice, not nearly as classy as the ES though.
Old 12-06-12, 07:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
They did a segment on the Avalon on Motorweek last night and I watched it. Looks nice, not nearly as classy as the ES though.
I saw that piece. Overall, I thought their Avalon review was simlar to the ES. I'm sure the two will be heavily cross shopped and buyers will decide between the two based on price, styling and a feature here and there.

When we bought a 2007 ES350 we shopped the Avalon but preferred the styling over the Avalon. A lot of the other areas we considered pretty equal.
Old 12-07-12, 12:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I like the ES, haven't seen the Avalon yet.

Pros for Avalon:
Avalon is quieter
Avalon has standard leather vs standard Nulux for the Es
And Avalon can be had with rear climate and rear heated seats (not so with the ES)
Old 12-07-12, 05:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7637541-post1.html

Quote:
The new 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid, then, is not only quiet and efficient — it has some dynamic ability and an upscale demeanor.

It is, quite simply, in a class by itself.
Quote:
Those considerations aside, the reality of the Avalon's fuel-sipping effectiveness punched us straight in the face when this large, comfortable sedan laid down a 46.5 mpg average on our 106.1-mile city loop. During two weeks we covered a total of 1,050 miles of mixed driving and recorded a 38.3 mpg average. This is a genuinely fuel-efficient luxury sedan — period.

Quote:
Regardless of its source, acceleration reliably follows throttle input and there's always a smooth swell of torque on tap at lower speeds. It's relatively quick, too. Ours went from zero to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds (7.4 seconds with a 1-foot rollout as on a drag strip) and whirred through the quarter-mile in 15.7 seconds at 90.3 mph. That's only 0.2 second behind the 2012 Hyundai Azera, which is powered by a 293-hp 3.3-liter V6 and rated at 23 mpg combined.
Quote:
Avalon engineers stole a move from the Lexus playbook by creating safe-room silence inside. At 59.8 decibels the Avalon recorded one of the lowest 70-mph cruise noise readings we've measured in any car in recent memory — including such costly equipment as the Bentley Continental GT (61.6 decibels) and the Audi A8 L (60.9 decibels).

Quote:
Accordingly, there's a clear effort to move the Avalon above its segment mates in design and materials. Chrome bezels and accents dominate the detail work to the extent that you'll be thrilled to own a pair of polarized sunglasses for knocking down glare. Brightwork on this scale has never before graced a Toyota interior. Materials, too, are decidedly premium. Leather seats are standard across trim levels, while Limited models get perforated leather.

Stitched leather is present on the shifter, steering wheel and dash and there's a distinct absence of hard plastic surfaces. Overall interior quality looks and feels commensurate with the Avalon's price.

Quote:
Yes, you'll pay more for the 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid than for some cars with which it loosely shares a segment. But when it comes to matching the Avalon's mix of efficiency, solitude and comfort, few will compete.

46 MPG in the city, 7.4s 0-60.
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/ava...full-test.html
Old 12-07-12, 06:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Avalon got a good review from Edmunds.

I like a lot about the car except the gaping grill in front. I just can't get past it and need to see the car in person, maybe it will look better to me.

Although I'd probably never get one, I'm liking the grill on the new Lincolns (MKS and MKZ). To me it looks elegant, understated and right for that type of car and doesn't scream "look at me!".
Old 12-07-12, 09:33 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Mkz hybrid is priced the same as the gas version but their mileage claims may be significantly overstated based on a consumer reports article. The lack of a gear shifter is interesting.

Quick Reply: 2013 Avalon Hybrid or 2013 ES300h Hybrid?