Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

About to purchase my new ES300h (Nebula Grey/Parchment)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 08:20 PM
kaisersoes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to purchase my new ES300h (Nebula Grey/Parchment)

Folks:
I am about to purchase the ES300h. I had a quick question regarding the car. The dealer has the car I need in stock however the car has 63 miles on it. I am concerned whether the dealer is giving me a demo car. Can someone advise if this is one or not? thank you
-paranoid buyer
Old 11-20-12, 08:42 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A demo car would have many hundreds or thousands of miles on it. But if you have any concerns, find another car or ask for an additional discount (that might make you feel better).
Old 11-20-12, 08:56 PM
kaisersoes
Driver School Candidate

here s the attitude of the dealer, if you dont like the car, we have other buyers in the line. How sad!
Old 11-20-12, 09:05 PM
mikedege
Rookie

Dont overthink it, if its what you want, buy it. You wont regret it. Its a fantastic car.

Good luck
Mike
Old 11-20-12, 10:26 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

i concur. if it is a color combo you want with the options you want. Take it!

if you consider that a test drive is about 10-15 miles, there's only been 5 or 6 people who's test driven the car before you,
Old 11-20-12, 11:09 PM
Slackbus
Driver

63 miles could be eaten up in test track testing in Japan if it was on an extended test, plus the small amount of driving that one or two test or confirmation drives here would add... Really nothing for the dealer to compensate for (my opinion).
Old 11-20-12, 11:20 PM
Foredeck
Driver School Candidate

Slackbus is correct, when i ordered mine; dealership told me to expect anywhere from 15 to 75 miles on car depending on amount of testing was involved in Japan
Old 11-21-12, 08:50 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by kaisersoes
Folks:
I am about to purchase the ES300h. I had a quick question regarding the car. The dealer has the car I need in stock however the car has 63 miles on it. I am concerned whether the dealer is giving me a demo car. Can someone advise if this is one or not? thank you
-paranoid buyer
Most cars come to the dealer with 3 to 10 miles on them. I bought many new cars, they had 3 to 15 miles on them. My ES300h was flatbeded from another dealer and had 13 miles when I got it.

If you are getting a great price then you may want to except the 63 miles. If you are paying Sticker or very close to Sticker then you should get a car that is not test driven with around 10 miles on it. IMHO
Old 11-21-12, 10:11 AM
JerryKK
Driver

I can add some sanity to this thread. My car came with about 91 miles on it - I got the car from Lexus of Santa Barbara - they didn't have my color but made a trade with Lexus of Santa Monica. They had the car driven up (stating trucking it would have added to the cost) - I did a mapquest between the two dealers and it was close to 90 miles - with that I accepted the car with the mileage on it.
Old 11-21-12, 12:00 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MY100thcar
Most cars come to the dealer with 3 to 10 miles on them. I bought many new cars, they had 3 to 15 miles on them. My ES300h was flatbeded from another dealer and had 13 miles when I got it.

If you are getting a great price then you may want to except the 63 miles. If you are paying Sticker or very close to Sticker then you should get a car that is not test driven with around 10 miles on it. IMHO
MY100thcar is correct. Most new cars arrive at the dealership with 3 to 10 miles on the ODO. But I wouldn't worry about 63 miles on a Lexus. If it has the color combo and options you want, buy it.
Old 11-21-12, 12:49 PM
kaisersoes
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the inputs guys. THe dealer is giving the car to me at invoice + $500. I assume that is a good price?
Old 11-21-12, 01:15 PM
mikedege
Rookie

great, I got invoice +750 and was very happy.

enjoy,
Mike
Old 11-24-12, 08:02 AM
UTAS
Driver

When we purchased our ES300h, it had about 140 miles on it - the dealership was using it for test drives. We drove it twice before purchasing it, however, that number of miles to me is not a big deal (my wife thought differently, but not enough to demand a different car).

If one knows why the miles are there, and where the test is done (not on highway, not crazy roads), one can put that aside when buying it - although it was not mentioned in the negotiating process, we did get 7.3+% off MSRP with a bunch of goodies thrown in without cost to us (3M, weather mats, side moldings, rear bumper applique, and 50% off the cost of a service package, which was negotiated low to begin with). I beat up the GM of sales, he beat me up. We were both happy with the deal; my wife makes three.

I would start squawking if a dealership was trying to sell a "new" car with more than 250 miles on it - but would definitely prefer it be less than 150 miles. It makes sense that one wants a "new" car and not one that others have overly putts around in.

Keep in mind that during the frenzy of decision-making to buy, the particular car, color, option set, etc., may be in that car you are test driving - and if you are trading in another car, that one will depreciate in value day by day, thus effecting the overall cost of the new one - it's the bottom line compromised with the want and the need (mostly the want) of having a new ES300h.

Last edited by UTAS; 11-24-12 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-24-12, 09:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by UTAS
When we purchased our ES300h, it had about 140 miles on it - the dealership was using it for test drives. We drove it twice before purchasing it, however, that number of miles to me is not a big deal (my wife thought differently, but not enough to demand a different car).

If one knows why the miles are there, and where the test is done (not on highway, not crazy roads), one can put that aside when buying it - although it was not mentioned in the negotiating process, we did get 7.3+% off MSRP with a bunch of goodies thrown in without cost to us (3M, weather mats, side moldings, rear bumper applique, and 50% off the cost of a service package, which was negotiated low to begin with). I beat up the GM of sales, he beat me up. We were both happy with the deal; my wife makes three.

I would start squawking if a dealership was trying to sell a "new" car with more than 250 miles on it - but would definitely prefer it be less than 150 miles. It makes sense that one wants a "new" car and not one that others have overly putts around in.

Keep in mind that during the frenzy of decision-making to buy, the particular car, color, option set, etc., may be in that car you are test driving - and if you are trading in another car, that one will depreciate in value day by day, thus effecting the overall cost of the new one - it's the bottom line compromised with the want and the need (mostly the want) of having a new ES300h.
That is a good price on your ES300h. Where did you buy it? I'm in the Chicago area and have purchased from a couple different dealerships.
Old 11-24-12, 09:27 AM
UTAS
Driver

@ LexBob2: Purchased from Lexus of Naperville - I know the sales manager and service staff there, as this is the fourth car purchased there since 2006. Don't know if that relationship makes a difference, but familiarity breeds friendliness (or contempt in some cases, but not in this case [smile]).

We traded a 2008 Avalon Limited (fully loaded) and got the near-the-top value according to Edmunds.

Also, regarding that last paragraph of mine above: We had been looking for the ES300h for about two months; got the ear of a good sales person early on; and when the Matador Red ES300h with a lot of bells and whistles arrived, he contacted us and it took my wife and I about another two or three weeks to decide. And the car was still available - they wanted to move it off the lot; we wanted to buy. Timing is important, of course.

Good luck, if you are thinking about one, LexBob2. Interesting handle, too.

Quick Reply: About to purchase my new ES300h (Nebula Grey/Parchment)