ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Two Questions - I have the 300h

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 05:56 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Questions - I have the 300h

1) Can someone tell me the difference between normal drive mode and eco drive mode - as far as mpg. It seems like there is no difference other than obtaining more power in normal drive mode. In fact, I found it easier to stay in eco while driving in normal drive - thus giving me better mpg!

2) I was driving today and wanted to give a direction to the navigation system - so I used voice control (just to see how it worked) - I gave the city I wanted without a problem but when it came to the street - I wanted Grand Ave. - but it kept putting in Grant ave. - no matter how carefully I pronounced the D (at the end of Grand) - it kept putting in GrantT. Is there any suggestion on this?

Thanks
Old 11-13-12, 06:36 PM
tcorbettoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryKK
1) Can someone tell me the difference between normal drive mode and eco drive mode - as far as mpg. It seems like there is no difference other than obtaining more power in normal drive mode. In fact, I found it easier to stay in eco while driving in normal drive - thus giving me better mpg!

2) I was driving today and wanted to give a direction to the navigation system - so I used voice control (just to see how it worked) - I gave the city I wanted without a problem but when it came to the street - I wanted Grand Ave. - but it kept putting in Grant ave. - no matter how carefully I pronounced the D (at the end of Grand) - it kept putting in GrantT. Is there any suggestion on this?

Thanks
Why dont you just use the Lexus Driver Assist and tell them the address and have them upload it straight to your NAV?
Old 11-13-12, 06:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tcorbettoc
Why dont you just use the Lexus Driver Assist and tell them the address and have them upload it straight to your NAV?
We used Destination Assist all of the time on my ES350, especially when travelling. I could never get the voice recognition to work smoothly and just gave up. Destination Assist is subscription based, but it was worth it to us along with eDestination when planning trips.

We just got a 2013 Audi Q5 and it seems like the voice recogniton works much better. Overall though so far I think the Lexus nav system is more user firendly. I'm sure I'll adjust to the new one.
Old 11-13-12, 07:41 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by tcorbettoc
I have been doing that but wanted to see how the voice recognition worked with the navigation system.
Old 11-13-12, 08:07 PM
tcorbettoc
Driver School Candidate

I have been doing that but wanted to see how the voice recognition worked with the navigation system.
I see. Mine has been pretty good so for. I will continue testing it and report back. On a different note are you having any issues with the sound clarity of people hearing you on your bluetooth phone calls.
Old 11-13-12, 10:11 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Lost in translation. The car is made in Japan so some of the pronunciations won't quite be the same as American English. It will more than likely be corrected in an update.
Old 11-14-12, 03:04 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Whenever I came across a stubborn word, repeating the word using as close as possible a British accent worked for me. Try pronouncing Grant as 'GraunT' and see if that makes a difference.
Old 11-14-12, 12:51 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Thanks
I was just wondering if anyone knows the answer to #1 above?
Old 11-14-12, 01:09 PM
CurryPot
Driver

It backs off the AC. You will notice this on a cold morning or a hot day.
Old 11-14-12, 01:17 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I find ECO mode causes you to stay in the Power band longer to get up to speed. I get less MPG's in ECO than in Normal. In fact, I've been experimenting with Sport mode and it sure increases throttle response and so far, I don't see any penalty in MPG's.
Old 11-23-12, 09:27 PM
UTAS
Driver

My experience with ECO mode on a RX450h is that acceleration is " feathered" by the computerized control system, that is, it favors economical driving - unless one jumps on the accelerator which will over-ride the system after a slight hesitation.

Very similar to our new ES300h. ECO mode does give better fuel economy in our case.