ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus buying confusion, poor website design.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-12, 06:53 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus buying confusion, poor website design.

E60 owner here, doing some DD for my next car, most likely the Lexus ES300h! This will be my first Lexus ever. I've owned Audi and BMW in the past. Going Japanese now!

I find Lexus's website confusing. With BMW, they offer packages but they also let you add individual options a la carte.

Is this not the case with Lexus?

It also seems like the base model is only available in one Nuluxe color, if you try to change it, Lexus requires adding on an entire options package?

Last edited by Neoxagon; 10-30-12 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 07:51 AM
Briano7
Driver School Candidate

I found the best way is to talk to a salesperson. I was informed that for one, Lane Departure isn’t available yet except in CA but it is shown on the Explore section of the web site. Also the Ultra Luxury Panoramic Roof doesn’t come on the hybrid which wasn’t mentioned anywhere that I saw. http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/features/options/ does list the options available. The Pre Collision system may not be available also but I’m not 100% on that.
Old 10-29-12, 08:01 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Thanks for the link, that helps A LOT!

Last edited by Neoxagon; 10-30-12 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 08:17 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I agree it is confusing. There are certain configurations that are common, that you can find somewhat easily from the dealer ( ie - premium package with navigation )

You can get things custom ordered and get it ala carte like the link above says, but that custom order may take 2-3 months. Putting in your zip code at the lexus site will tell you what are the "common" configs in your area.
Old 10-29-12, 09:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It seems like Lexus has joined the ranks of other car mfgrs in making the ordering process more complicated.

I've been shopping for an Audi Q5 or BMW X3 and found Audi to be pretty straight forward and BMW a little more complicated. Both of them have an additional charge for metallic (desirable) colors. For an X3 it's $550!

I know with Lexus it's built in to the cost, and Lexus has more interesting colors IMO, but I don't feel like I'm being had as much when pricing out a Lexus.

Last edited by LexBob2; 10-29-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 10:13 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Acura is the simplest. You either have the technology package or you don't. End of story. Ha!
Old 10-29-12, 10:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by uicandrew
Acura is the simplest. You either have the technology package or you don't. End of story. Ha!
I agree. I also looked at the new RDX. I like it nice and easy!
Old 10-29-12, 10:23 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by Briano7
I found the best way is to talk to a salesperson. I was informed that for one, Lane Departure isn’t available yet except in CA but it is shown on the Explore section of the web site. Also the Ultra Luxury Panoramic Roof doesn’t come on the hybrid which wasn’t mentioned anywhere that I saw. http://www.lexus.com/models/ES/features/options/ does list the options available. The Pre Collision system may not be available also but I’m not 100% on that.
Question, can we order individual packages and options in the link above?

Or, do we have to purchase the "combo packages" we are presented when putting in our zipcodes?

I also noticed that different zipcodes show different combo packages with different prices. It would be so much easier if Lexus simply listed each option individually with a price next to it. And then, if Lexus wants to offer packages do that too.

But some of the options in the packages you can't order individually...like ambient lighting.

I agree, they are deliberately making it more confusing so you can't easily compare cost and value of options you want vs options you need...and whether or not ordering a bunch of options in a package is really saving you any more money than buying them individually.

Last edited by Neoxagon; 10-29-12 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-29-12, 10:24 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ES350 brochure lists all the packages and all the individual option as well, and is very easy to understand.
Old 10-29-12, 11:25 AM
Briano7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Neoxagon
Question, can we order individual packages and options in the link above?

Or, do we have to purchase the "combo packages" we are presented when putting in our zipcodes?

I also noticed that different zipcodes show different combo packages with different prices. It would be so much easier if Lexus simply listed each option individually with a price next to it. And then, if Lexus wants to offer packages do that too.

But some of the options in the packages you can't order individually...like ambient lighting.

I agree, they are deliberately making it more confusing so you can't easily compare cost and value of options you want vs options you need...and whether or not ordering a bunch of options in a package is really saving you any more money than buying them individually.
I ordered the Ultra Luxury Package which included: Perf. Semi-analine leather trim interior, front pass. seat memory, heated and ventilated front seats, power rear and manual door sunshades, driver’s seat power cushion extender, bamboo wood trim w/ ambient lighting & power tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel. This listed and priced by itself.
Then listed and priced separate is the ML Premium Audio Package which includes the Nav system, backup camera and subscription stuff. Everything else I’m getting is listed and priced as a separate option.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-12, 06:45 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Originally Posted by ElliotB
The ES350 brochure lists all the packages and all the individual option as well, and is very easy to understand.
Thanks! I ordered the brochure.

Thanks Briano7!

Last edited by Neoxagon; 10-30-12 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-30-12, 01:49 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus regions bundle popular options together. These usually rank pretty high for popularity for that specific area. It also aids in build complexity (Toyota is the king of lean production after all).

Exact custom orders should be possible, but you're likely going to end up paying more for it, and then waiting 3-4 months.
Old 10-30-12, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its completely different than a BMW. You can't really order individual options the way you can at BMW, you really have to buy packages unless you want a totally custom car and are willing to wait.

Different packages are also available in different regions.