ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What is your experience using the ES "mouse controller"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 10:07 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your experience using the ES "mouse controller"?

I played with the ES mouse controller for a little bit during my test drive and, from my short time with it, it seems to be hit and miss.

Sometimes, I would get to the button I wanted to get but sometimes, I would overshoot it or hit something next to it.

This is what I'm referring to:

I think video game UI designers come up with the best solutions for simplifying complex UI requirements.

I hope the UI and hardware interface are improved in the 2014 model.

I didn't notice but did it have audio or haptic feedback as you move from one button to another?
Old 10-24-12, 10:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the mouse controller in my '10 RX350 and like it much more than the touch screen of my '12 ES.
Old 10-24-12, 10:27 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I actually liked the display audio wheel during my test drive. If u overshot, just keep turning the **** and you'll get there again
Old 10-24-12, 10:46 AM
mikedege
Rookie

I adjusted the sensitivity and now it works great. I still like my old MBZ's scroll wheel better, but the Lexus mouse is more than acceptable.

-Mike
Old 10-24-12, 11:08 AM
MY100thcar
Driver

Originally Posted by mikedege;7561266[B
]I adjusted the sensitivity and now it works great[/B]. I still like my old MBZ's scroll wheel better, but the Lexus mouse is more than acceptable.

-Mike
I will have to try that. where did you find that adjustment ?

I had the old type ( with the right thumb enter button ) in my 2012 RX350 which I liked better.
I am sure in time this type will be just fine. Even with just 450mis. of use it seams to be a little easier to use.
Old 10-24-12, 12:52 PM
mikedege
Rookie

Originally Posted by MY100thcar
I will have to try that. where did you find that adjustment ?

I had the old type ( with the right thumb enter button ) in my 2012 RX350 which I liked better.
I am sure in time this type will be just fine. Even with just 450mis. of use it seams to be a little easier to use.
Great question, cant remember, poke around, you will find it.

-Mike
Old 10-25-12, 03:40 PM
midnite c
Driver School Candidate

I found that if you go to the menu and select setup and then general then scroll down to feedback force and make your adjustment there.
Old 10-26-12, 08:30 PM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

This controller has me a bit nervous after my time spent with the infamous terrible BMW iDrive system. I really wanted a touch screen after the iDrive nightmare - so much - that I almost opted for the Hybrid Camry XLE. I checked out the remote touch a couple of times - and I really didn't walk away with a warm fuzzy - but intent on learning the full range of voice commands. I hope it grows on me once I take delivery of the car -
Old 10-27-12, 06:08 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Some people don't like the mouse, no matter how long they try. For me, after lowering the feedback force one notch, it took me a couple of days to get the hang of it.

As for the voice commands, here again, opinions vary. I'm happy with it, even if it means repeating a command once or twice, it is still better than letting my hands off the steering wheel to look for an icon on a touch screen or to reach for a button.

The mouse isn't perfect and the voice command isn't either. I had 2012 Camry XLE before the ES350; and you know what, it too was not always as responsive as one would expect; and most touch screen commands were NOT available past a certain speed (don't hold me to it, but I think it was something like 30 mph.)
Old 10-28-12, 09:40 AM
ws46060
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm Ok with the joystick

I've had my 300h for about a week now, and I have no trouble pointing and clicking with the Remote Touch Controller. It's probably no easier than a touch screen, but it doesn't impede me either. On the plus side, there are no finger prints on the screen, and the screen is tucked away under a cowling to reduce glare.
Old 10-30-12, 05:37 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't have a dislike for the rodent!
Old 10-30-12, 10:40 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wasn't too thrilled with the mouse too. I still don't like drilling down several levels to get a certain function or activation much like a computer or DSLR. However, without the mouse, you'd have a heck of a lot of buttons. I'm still trying to get the voice commands working so I can possibly use the mouse less, but that's not happening anytime soon. That said, I'm getting use to the mouse. I generally know where the key functions are, and with a quick click, and glance, I get what I need pretty quickly now.
Old 10-30-12, 11:38 AM
JerryKK
Driver

It's still difficult to understand Lexus' thinking for the Navigation System and the mouse. While driving, they freeze many items so you can't change/input something (like inserting a destination) unless you use voice commands; yet, they allow you to fool around with a mouse and change other things which obviously are going to distract you while driving. Very inconsistent thinking!
Old 10-30-12, 12:13 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I can understand their level of thinking. For nav, you have to look and input the address , like texting in terms of hunting for letters on a keyboard.

For temperature, it's much quicker and audio things are preset or don't require looking at the screen to prevent typos.
Old 10-30-12, 04:36 PM
sigmoid
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up my ES300h today. While going through the exit hooplah with the sales guy - one of the first things he did was adjust the remote controller sensitivity. He did it without even asking, just saying "we gotta set this and you'll see why". After messing with it - it is not as bad as I had thought it was going to be. It has a "sticky" feel to it and putting in an address was not really any harder than punching in the old touchscreen. I actually don't like anyone touching my screen anyway (same with my pc/laptop). I think its going to be OK and certainly lightyears beyond that crappy BMW iDrive !

Quick Reply: What is your experience using the ES "mouse controller"?