ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New ES350 - Check Engine Light on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 02:06 PM
edh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ES350 - Check Engine Light on?

I've had my 2013 ES about 3 weeks now, and yesterday while driving the check engine light came on. (as did my traction control OFF light)

I was close to my destination (under 1/4 mile) so I drove there and parked. I stopped and started the car a few times, and the light stayed on. 10 mins later I started the car and put it in reverse and the light went out when I did that. 5 hours later I started the car, no light came on, and drove home (5 miles).

I called the dealer this morning, and they (very nicely) told me there was nothing they could do since the light was off now. She said the code was already gone ( I was surprised it would clear, but she assured me it did).

I expressed my angst that a a car that still had paper tags on it had a check engine light, and she offered me a loaner if I wanted to drive it in for them to look at, but basically said she didn't think they could find anything, but would be happy to look. She said the best bet was that I drive it straight there next time it lights, so they can get the code - and that's how we left it.

I then drove to work this morning (~20 miles) with no light.

I'm sure the gas cap was on tight (and it had been a week since I filled up) - I had this issue years ago on a car and am now paranoid about tight gas caps :-).

Obviously I'm really concerned about this on a new car. Any thoughts or suggestions on next steps?

Thanks!
-Ed
Old 10-22-12, 03:46 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Like you, I am surprised the error code would be erased. I think it might be best to bring it in and let a tech check it out. At least if the tech looks for an error code and doesn't find one, your peace of mind might be better.
Old 10-22-12, 04:20 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Never heard of a Toyota vehicle computer automatically erasing an error code!
Old 10-23-12, 06:24 AM
edh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, all.

I'll call back and ask again about the code getting cleared - and get a time to bring it in.

I somehow got in the mindset that I've got a lemon now, so I hope learning what the code is will make me feel better.
Old 10-23-12, 10:37 AM
CurryPot
Driver

My old Prius stored the error codes. There was a backdoor where you could display them in the screen,

I'm not buying into the codes have been erased.
Old 10-23-12, 11:19 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I wouldn't call this car a lemon just because the check engine light came on but I am also not buying the explanation that there are no codes stored after the light goes off. I thought storing the codes was a requirement of the sytem design.

And I would have it checked out sooner rather than later.

Let us know what happens.

Dave Mac
Old 10-23-12, 11:23 AM
Briano7
Driver School Candidate

It would be nice to have a built in App to show why the check engine light came on.
Old 10-23-12, 11:35 AM
edh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I wouldn't call this car a lemon just because the check engine light came on but I am also not buying the explanation that there are no codes stored after the light goes off. I thought storing the codes was a requirement of the sytem design.

And I would have it checked out sooner rather than later.

Let us know what happens.

Dave Mac
I'm not calling the car a lemon - I don't know what is wrong with it. But it's really hard to keep the new car "rush" I've had the past few weeks now. I know Lexus will make it right, I'm just bummed.
Old 10-23-12, 09:46 PM
bhammer
Driver School Candidate

Not all ECU codes that cause a MIL / CEL are stored. The majority are though as it makes the manufacturer's job easier at troubleshooting issues. There are some manufacturer specific codes that are not stored.

You can stop by most any auto parts store and they will "read" your computer for you. Takes about five minutes from the time you ask for it to be done. You can then take that info to the dealer.

Let us know the code, it'll be something like P0### like P0420. You can also look it up on: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Old 10-24-12, 08:44 AM
edh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bhammer
Not all ECU codes that cause a MIL / CEL are stored. The majority are though as it makes the manufacturer's job easier at troubleshooting issues. There are some manufacturer specific codes that are not stored.

You can stop by most any auto parts store and they will "read" your computer for you. Takes about five minutes from the time you ask for it to be done. You can then take that info to the dealer.

Let us know the code, it'll be something like P0### like P0420. You can also look it up on: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Thanks. Any chance the auto parts store would reset / delete the code when reading?
Old 10-24-12, 10:15 AM
edh
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: I spoke to the service manager today @ my dealer. He agreed they should be able to get a code. I'm bringing it in tomorrow AM. I'l update when I know more.
Old 10-24-12, 12:27 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by edh
UPDATE: I spoke to the service manager today @ my dealer. He agreed they should be able to get a code. I'm bringing it in tomorrow AM. I'l update when I know more.
The other benefit of bringing your car in for service to check it out is you will have documentation that your car experienced this behavior. It will probably never happen again, but if it does and your fear of having a lemon materializes, you will start to accumulate the proof to file a claim.
Old 10-24-12, 07:03 PM
bhammer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edh
Thanks. Any chance the auto parts store would reset / delete the code when reading?

You have a choice to clear or not. I wouldn't let them clear it so the dealer can see it.

Good news on the dealer though... Take it to them.
Old 10-25-12, 07:06 AM
edh
Driver School Candidate

Well, the "Bring it by and we'll have you in and out in a few mins" turned into "We're found some codes, and we're going to need to keep you car, here's a loaner"

I'm getting an update after lunch on what the issue is.
Old 10-25-12, 07:44 AM
MikeP
Advanced

We are all interested in what the techs tell you about the codes. Hopefully whatever happened will be minor and can be fixed real soon. Please keep us up to date on whatever info you get.

Quick Reply: New ES350 - Check Engine Light on?