53.33%
An all leather bound steering wheel
26.67%
An option to choose
16.67%
Something else - not listed
3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

What type of steering wheel would you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 08:10 AM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of steering wheel would you prefer?

I like lexus a lot but my biggest issue is the wood steering wheel. I'd rather have a leather one - although I'm sure some people think it looks nice, leather for me is better to grip, better in the summer, and better in the winter.

I'm switching over from Acura and what I'll miss most is the steering wheel.
Old 10-20-12, 09:16 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I think you do have the option to choose but the time delay would probably not be worth it. I have only seen one ES350 in a long time with the leather steering wheel and it really didn't look too good. I agree though that the wood is often either really hot or really cold. It may be a plot to get us to hold the wheel in the leather areas - or maybe it's just a way to charge more.

Dave Mac
Old 10-20-12, 09:26 AM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I think you do have the option to choose but the time delay would probably not be worth it. I have only seen one ES350 in a long time with the leather steering wheel and it really didn't look too good. I agree though that the wood is often either really hot or really cold. It may be a plot to get us to hold the wheel in the leather areas - or maybe it's just a way to charge more.

Dave Mac
I would definitely be willing to order it and live with the delay if that is an option. Any info you have on this would be great as I couldn't find it (or just missed it) when I went to build my car on line.
Old 10-20-12, 10:01 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

My wife's ES has all leather, of course my F is all leather and our truck is all leather. It gets rather hot in the summer in Arizona, and Wood or Plastic is just not an option for this family.

Lou
Old 10-20-12, 10:37 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I think you just look for or order a ES350 without the $330.00 Wood & Leather Trimmed Shift **** & Steering Wheel option. I think the standard steering wheel is leather wrapped. The cars just never seem to come in that way. The one I did see was in the only ES I ever saw without a leather interior.

I don't know about a ES300h. Bamboo wood may be the only trim offered.

Dave Mac
Old 10-20-12, 12:27 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind the wood/leather steering wheel - it's actually a nicer look IMHO - but I just wish there was a little more leather up the sides. I have the heated steering wheel, but of course the heating element is only under the leather, which is at the 9 & 3 position. I prefer to drive with my hands in the 10 & 2 position (I know, it's not the way you're supposed to drive now, but it's the way I was taught), but the leather doesn't extend high enough to feel the warmth unless I lower my steering position.
Old 10-21-12, 03:41 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetman
I don't mind the wood/leather steering wheel - it's actually a nicer look IMHO - but I just wish there was a little more leather up the sides. I have the heated steering wheel, but of course the heating element is only under the leather, which is at the 9 & 3 position. I prefer to drive with my hands in the 10 & 2 position (I know, it's not the way you're supposed to drive now, but it's the way I was taught), but the leather doesn't extend high enough to feel the warmth unless I lower my steering position.
Yes, I'm with you on this one Jetman, and like the leather/wood combo. But I don't mind the way the heating elements work. Ther're only good for the first 15-20 minutes after you start the car, then they go off; and by then, the car is warm enough, so the whole wheel is nice and comfortable.
Old 10-21-12, 07:09 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i would like to see wood all around the steering wheel. like the one i have on my S80. It makes a big difference. Now the grip may not be sportier but the quality and craftsmanship makes a big difference. here is pic of my S80 wood steering.
Attached Thumbnails What type of steering wheel would you prefer?-s80-interior1.jpg  
Old 10-21-12, 08:05 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I would be worried about grip in an all wood steering wheel. Not the sporty aspect but from a safety one. Ie needing to have a firm grip on the steering wheel but having it slip away
Old 10-21-12, 09:23 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I think you just look for or order a ES350 without the $330.00 Wood & Leather Trimmed Shift **** & Steering Wheel option. I think the standard steering wheel is leather wrapped. The cars just never seem to come in that way. The one I did see was in the only ES I ever saw without a leather interior.

I don't know about a ES300h. Bamboo wood may be the only trim offered.

Dave Mac
I would rather have the all leather wheel, but that's my opinion. I found this thread from 2008. clublexus.com/forums/es350-2007-2012/336518-does-this-es350-have-fabric-interior.html Too bad the link to the photo is gone. Maybe someone here saved it?
Old 10-21-12, 10:25 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I actually will miss the open space at 6 o'clock. I love to rest my hand there during long distance highway driving because my arms would get fatigued
Old 10-21-12, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree, I prefer a 4 spoke steering wheel to a 3 spoke wheel.

I like the look and feel of the wood/leather wheel personally.
Old 10-21-12, 11:56 AM
bhammer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uicandrew
I actually will miss the open space at 6 o'clock. I love to rest my hand there during long distance highway driving because my arms would get fatigued
Yes, I hate that I can't put my hand at 6. I have jammed my fingers a couple times just trying to put it there.
Old 10-21-12, 12:19 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Good to know I'm not the only one who drives with one hand at 6 I'm not "gangsta" so my one handed driving isn't at 12
Old 10-21-12, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Unfortunately everyone is going to 3 spoke wheels it seems, even the LS now has a 3 spoke wheel...

Quick Reply: What type of steering wheel would you prefer?